Register now to get rid of these ads!

The first NEW??? 235 speed parts in 50 years???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6inarow, Jan 13, 2010.

1. 6inarow

6inarow

I have always liked my 235 but the old stuff sometimes made me wonder why we didnt have some "new" options like the bent 8 guys have. There is a ton of new Model A stuff available today and those guys step up and use it. Made me wonder if inline guys would too. I got lucky and had some success with the no name valve cover, hold down knobs, dual groove balancer, and PCV canister. Edmunds was right with the water heated intake, but the thermostat housings were hard to find then and worse now. Using the stockers had hoses going all over the place

I have estimates on patterns, casting and machining to make new 235 thermostat housings with drivers side outlets on the upper half AND the lower half. It allows for short hoses to and from the intake on the correct side. They would run about $70 for either half - $140 for the complete new housing top and bottom.

Would there be any interest if I had them cast? Hopefully its the first step to a new multiple carb intake and header system - prototype almost done at Ooltewahspeedshop facilities as we speak. The new intake would need heat too, so......... What say ye?????

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. DeepSea Fish

DeepSea Fish

Sounds interesting. I'm really interested in the intake. Is that it in your avatar? I see Kevin at Ooltewah Speed Shop has the same pic in his albums. Looks like you guys are on to something.

Let us see some pictures, please.

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Alright guys... Here's some shots of the prototype.

Let us know what you think?

1. What would you change?

2. What would be your choice?

3. What are your questions?

4. What is your advise?

This intake will be available mid summer in the Cast aluminum 4X2 version. 4X2 version of this intake will use the center two carbs for normal driving and then.... Outside two will come in progressive at wide open throttle.

The 3X2 intake will come along after that.

The 2X2 will be an option if enough interest is there.

The log will have the 3 bolt stromberg 97-Ford 94 flanges.

It will have a "Water Heater" for the weather challenged.

Dickster will be providing the linkage kits for these intakes.

The header flange is 3/8" Cold rolled steel in a plain flange, stub, or header kit.

The intake and header flange will be fully o-ringed with hi-temp silicone o-rings. So no leaks EVER.

Like Tom said.... The 1st New Technology for 235-261 in over 50 years.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop
    Kevko Speed Equipt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

Interested in all the above. I would really be interested in the pictures.

I have an all Edmunds setup on my 235 and I am looking for something different for a 261 I am working on.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi, 6inarow. I'm curious as to the benefits of a water-heated intake-manifold. Is the idea to replace the heat exchanger present between the stock intake and exhaust?...For quicker warm-ups? Thanks - Rick

6. 6inarow

6inarow

yes, its been debated quite a bit, but in my cars a heated intake always runs better.

7. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Yea that 4 x 2 sounds like the real deal. Got a 235 on a stand right now waiting for the funds but then sure would be looking for that 4 x2 intake. what do you have in mind for headers. :rolleyes:

8. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We've talked about header ideas, but what it really boils down to is what you guys want. Do you want a kit or a done deal, bolt on header that could be raw metal or ceramic coated in your choice of color.

If it's gonna be a bolt on deal, it will probably work better for all involved if it was a shorty design similar in legnth to a Fenton manifold.

What do you guys think?

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

9. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I'll pass a link on to my old man, he has 15 or so old chevy trucks mostly with 235's in them and he's a sucker for 235 hop up parts.

10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Seeing as though the Fenton, Clark and Graham headers will work with Fenton, Offy, Edmunds, Nicson and all the other non-elbowed intake I suggest you might like to look at making headers for intakes with elbows.

Intakes like yours, the extremely rare Howard 5 pot for chevies, and my favourite - the McGurk 3 carb need free-flowing headers without the tight turn of the F, C & G headers. All other headers on the market have that abrupt 90 degree turn as soon as the gases leave the exhaust port, which is not required when you have an elbow.

i just spent 2c :D

11. Originally Posted by Rickybop
    Hi, 6inarow. I'm curious as to the benefits of a water-heated intake-manifold. Is the idea to replace the heat exchanger present between the stock intake and exhaust?...For quicker warm-ups? Thanks - Rick

It takes the water longer to get hot than it does for the exhaust to get hot. Personally, I don't think neither are needed. That is what chokes are for. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  12. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

I like what you guys are doing for straight six folks. Keep up the good work. I might be interested in a 2x2 intake... Are you talkin cast headers or tube style?

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Originally Posted by paulweldit [​IMG]
    It takes the water longer to get hot than it does for the exhaust to get hot. Personally, I don't think neither are needed. That is what chokes are for. Just my 2 cents.

Heathen, he DID say "I don't think neither are needed", a double-negative which means he DOES think you need some form of intake manifold heating.

14. Boozer

Boozer

Hey, if you are trying to get a headcount for people who are serious about buying this, you might want to post this over at inliners.org & stovebolt.com...

If I weren't staying stock with my truck I'd be all over that! There are actually alot of intakes for the 216-235, although 99% aren't produced anymore.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200740&highlight=stovebolt+intake

Are you guys planning on doing some kind of flow tests? or tuned length runners? or is this just a piece of square tube with carbs on it? I don't mean to shoot your idea down, but fenton intake and exhaust are readily availiable.....gotta one up your competetion, especially since the have the "vintage" factor on you...

I don't think anyone makes an EFI setup for the stovebolts....

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a badass sidedraft setup for the stovebolts, kinda like what they used on the vettes

These are kind random thoughts.... just my $0.02

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The McGurk 3 carb intake was the original thought behind our idea. The 3 and 5 carb original McGurks are so rare it's a joke. Most of the ones you find for sale are for the GMC. The header will be for the elbow type intake. Not a copy of the others on the market. The tubes will have a natural flow and not the confined short 90* like the Fenton's and others.

Our intake will have the option to water heat, if you decide to use it. If not, you can plug it off.

The headers will be tube, not cast.

Tom and I are members over on the other boards too. We are just feeling the water here. Flow tests will come after the prototype is cast. We will be trying different runner lengths and log configurations. As far as we are concerned, we already "One Upped the Competition". Nobody now or ever has made an intake/header combo with these options or technology. A new product can't really have a "Vintage Factor" This is a new product that is geared for the guy who wants to run a vintage engine with vintage carbs that really work.

We welcome all comments and criticism. You should also know that this is a work in progress, and we appreciate your interest.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop
    Kevko Speed Equipt.

16. 6inarow

6inarow

I don't think anyone makes an EFI setup for the stovebolts....

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a badass sidedraft setup for the stovebolts, kinda like what they used on the vettes

These are kind random thoughts.... just my $0.02[/QUOTE]

we had briefly talked about the side drafts too. It might be a possibility for cars with hood clearance issues like my 56. Like Kevin said we are testing the waters to see where the interest is. Maybe DCOE's????

Our attempt is to make something that works (carburetion) that Joe 6 pack can do in his garage (how about that c.s. set up Chevy used to clamp the intake and exhaust to the head), that you would like someone to admire when you pop the hood - 3 or 4 carbs on an inline that actually WORK.

17. vwdave30

vwdave30

new intake and header is a great idea looked forever for my 2x2 intake for mine then spent a small fortune on ebay to get it

18. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey Mark, thanks for the note. Once you see how Kevin did this, its easy to see how it will flow. He is so particular that it wont leave his shop until its perfect. He will post some photos when its time. The turns are a major consideration for us and Kevin has it handled. Pics to follow

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Since our intake is Stromberg-Ford 94 based, you could bolt on the Moon 97 EFI system if you wanted computer controlled fuel injection.

Attached Files:

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Kevin and Tom.

There is a guy who made headers for his SBC out of the type of pre-formed elbows you are using for the intake. He did such a bitchin job - they looked like cast headers similar to Fenton sBC cast headers. A hell of a lot more work than tubular headers though.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Found 'em

Attached Files:

22. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

I am thinking that the over looked 250 inline six needs some speed parts!! Short stroke with big pistons = Good HP and torq! I run the 250 in all my chev's, only ran two V8's and a couple of 292 inlines....Roach.

23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm not sure the 250-292 family has been overlooked? They are great engines, no doubt about it. Clifford has a ton of stuff for them, even a side draft intake....

The 235-261 stuff is gonna be our focus for the near future. Other stuff might come along if things move along as planned.

We would love to have a side draft intake if we had a user friendly side draft carburetor to use. The Weber or Dellorto stuff if WAY to tempermental for everyday use. Any suggestions?

24. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

The only after market side draft carb that I can think of would be the S&S super E, it and the G, other wise Three SU's?? Like the Triumph TR6.

.............Roach.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, those headers look great.

26. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but how many of these do you expect to sell?

Or how many people have enough ass in their 235 to run FOUR two barrel carbs? Or even THREE two barrels?

Vs.

How much is it going to cost me to design and produce this intake?

I like the idea, I'm just sayin'...

Now a good split exhaust on the other hand, is something EVERYBODY with a 235 can use. You've got a much bigger market.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah Turd, tell them how you really feel.

That manifold looks great guys, I just wish you were playing with flathead Ford six cylinders at the moment.

If those bends come preformed as a stock item do (or will) you sell them separate? I'm most likely going to have to be building an intake and header for the 254 Flathead six that I have going into a project.

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE it. Four big carbs would look awesome. Especially if you've got the motor to take advantage of them. I just don't think that there's enough of those people to not lose money making these. You've got prototypes. Improvements on prototypes. Then casting the final product. That's a lot of money invested before you've even sold one. Realistically, how many will sell and how fast?

29. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

I'm thinking he will sell a but load of the 2x2's........Roach.

30. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would try the guys over at the stovebolt web site as well, in case you have not all ready.