Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to motors...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Papabox, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Papabox

Papabox

Hi all. I thought that this was the perfect place to come with a question. I just got a 1950 Chevy Coupe. I am stoked as it is one of my "dream" cars (or will be). I am having some mental debate though. I am going to rat rod it out so period stuff isn't that important and going really fast isn't either. My dilemma is, what motor should I go with?

I was going to go with a 235 and keep the 3 speed on the column but I am having second thoughts and now am thinking about 350/350 turbo and a floor shifter. I also have access to a 305 with an auto trans.

What to do? Any suggestions? I am still fairly new to the car world, well, I have owned runners in the past but this will be my first "project".

Thanks and I know y'all will have some info for me!

2. Hmmm, you might want to rethink your posting. Rat Rod is frowned upon here and if you do some searches you'll find out why. If that is really what you want to do, you're on the wrong board.
    Good Luck

3. johnnykck

johnnykck

What he said.

4. overkillphil

overkillphil

Not trying to vibe you or bag on you, but this is a TRADITIONAL ride site...
    As far as motor, if you're not going trad, the 350/350 is probably the best way to go. Cheap and easy.
    Overkillphil

5. Papabox

Papabox

Ok. Sorry guys. Thanks for the advice!

6. advising on motor choices is always hard to do because it depends on the owners expectations of the motor and how he plans to use it. in my opinion, if you just want a toy to play with on local cruise nights...stick with the 235 and 3-speed

if you want a daily freeway driver and something to drive across country in go with the 305/th350

7. Was it your dream to build a 50 Chev into a rat rod?? And if "going really fast" isn't important then why are you thinking of putting a small block in it??

No matter what anyone else says, build it into what you want. But before you go buy a bunch of flat black paint and red for the steels, evaluate what you will want it to be in 5 or so years. I'm just saying, if it's one of your "dream" cars you probably had a vision of what it would look like before this whole rat rod nonsense came along. And I'd be surprised if it was flat black in that vision...

8. Papabox

Papabox

Ok all, I get it. Please disregard post as I obviously was not asking to get beat up over it and completely apologize if what my vision of a car is not what yours is.

Move on as I will do the same.

9. linconcontinental2003

linconcontinental2003

Get the 235/3 speed tuned up and running good then, pull it and sell it. Drop in a 350/350 combo, very reliable, parts are cheap, and you will be able to cruise to Pomona without having to be in the sloooow lane.

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

No need to be sorry, hang around, read a little, you'll probably change your mind and go traditional. I'd recommend you put an L6, 235 or earlier.
    Contrary to popular belief, a Rat will cost you as much as anything else, so setting your sights a little higer can't hurt.
    Take a look at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18390

11. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Congrats on your new ride! Must feel nice to have your own project now. See my Private Message in your inbox.

12. Papabox

Papabox

29Nash, that was a GREAT thread and helped me make the decision to go with the 235. I also found a 3 carb split manifold for it. Unfortunately, I got a 216 from a friend and didn't bother to check the engine mounts, it's a truck motor. So I am looking to get rid of that motor and get the 235 for the 50. I think that my "rat rod" comment was all in vain. I want it to look finished if that answers any questions, well, eventually look finished, one day, maybe.

13. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Explain what this means?

(besides brush on flat black with Chinese Red-painted wheels, wide whites and a few cheesy stickers)

14. Xea

Xea

I have always wanted to to do a 292 L6 with a 700R4. Keep it 6 and be able to pull stumps.

15. Papabox

Papabox

Well, I think that I used the wrong term and associated many different styles into two, rat rod and hot rod. After the ass kicking that I got, and now another from you, I am trying to understand the differences between customs, hot rods, rat rods and traditional and whatever the hell else there is. If you are going to tell me that I need to know what I am talking about before I post something, you are right, but like I said, I am still learning. There have been a few folks that have been instructional with their posts or PM's and other that have just disregarded me as someone who wants to look cool. I don't understand why I would spend money on a car with no motor, no interior, no nothing to look cool. I buy Levi's on sale and black t shirts that are 4 for $12 at the local swap meet.

I am wanting to build a car and, unfortunately, got swayed by a few friends words. So feel free to keep giving it to me, but I still want to learn and build a car at the same time.

Thanks.

16. Papabox

Papabox

....and there will be no flat black, no red rims and no cheesy stickers on my car, but I do have wide whites...

17. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

Take a good look at a Chevy 6 with all the traditional speed goodies bolted on, and you will see why people get sentimental over them. A good solid coupe that runs well will always have a value (both aesthetic as well as monetary), far higher than something that has been turned into a rolling turd.

Saving money is not the same as money well spent.

18. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Wasn't "giving it to you," just took your words and asked a question. You posted it, all I want to know, and in a serious way, what do or DID you mean by the term "rat rod" as in rat rod it out?

What does that mean? A certain look? I'm talking about outside appearances, you said it so I'd like to hear what it means to YOU. Or what your buddies were talking about. RR is a relatively new deal, I'm just trying to find what your definition was...

19. belair

belair

Unless you got some nasty PMs, you have been treated with kid gloves so far. If your going with a v-8 and modern trans, you're looking at replacing the rear end too, because of the enclosed driveshaft. It's easy to do, but another piece of the puzzle. A 230 0r 250 chevy 6 will go in with very little trouble, allow a modern trans, and run rings around a 235.(imo). You have a great car to start with, you will get more good advice than you can use from the hamb, and if you catch a little crap, let it go and learn how it works here.

20. RUSTALOT

RUSTALOT
    from GA.

Its crazy how two little words can cause so much shit.

21. Papabox

Papabox

My idea of a "rat rod" was simple, do it yourself with what you have. As far as the look, like you, I thought of flat black, red rims, white walls. Too many of those things around. I don't have a ton of cash, am not in a hurry to get the car "done" but would like to drive it as soon as possible. I don't think I am alone in this and I THOUGHT that was what I wanted. My buddies car has no floor, literally, no back seat and rattle can paint (oddly, not flat black). What I would like to do to may car is as follows and in no way do I think that it will be a "rat rod" when it is done.

235 with the 3 carb intake and split dual pipes, one cherry bomb and one straight
    3 speed trans floor shift, no column
    shaved everything with only the stainless around the cab left
    White walls with black rims and spiders
    Air ride suspension
    Custom interior
    Thinking about maybe shaving the dash completely, depends on how comfortable I am with it.

Nice and simple looking but really fun to drive. Don't need to do 100 on the freeway and I want to drive it all the time. That is what I want. Now if I have to classify my car, how about I classify it as "mine".

To my buddies credit, he doesn't want me to have a car like his and is willing to teach me some body work stuff, welding and mechanical stuff here and there and is very honest when he doesn't know the answers.

22. Papabox

Papabox

Haven't thought about a 250....and yeah, I will never utter those two words together, or separate for that matter, ever again.

23. mercjoe

mercjoe

"I am going to rat rod it....." :rolleyes:

24. mercjoe

mercjoe

Go with the 350/350 setup

25. Papabox

Papabox

26. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

I was talking with a friend recently and the RR topic came up. His interpretation was that guys grew tired of the ultra high dollar machines that Boyd and Foose and others were building, they could never afford anything like that, so the deal became to build a rod for as cheap as possible.

This I don't have a problem with, but safety still should be paramount.

Toilet handles for door opening and other such nonsense seems to also fall in to the RR genre. I think some go out of their way to build a real POS and get it on the road as soon as they can, that's not being creative, that's being a lazy ass. Not directed at you.

27. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

So something good did come out of your thread! :D

28. Papabox

Papabox

Ha Ha!! I totally understand and am in limbo. I like the look of the straight 6's but the dependability and ease of parts in the SBC's. I have access to a 305 and a front end with drop spindles, power steering and disk brakes for cheap and they are fairly new. The guy is upgrading and has no use for them. I know I would need a new tranny and to change the rear end. I am just itching to drive the damn thing and don't have the patience that I need.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The RR term is usually the term tacked on unfinished or flat black or primered cars by about ninety percent of the non HAMB population.

If you have looked at a lot of threads and photos on here you will see that the vast majority of us view ratrods as being deliberately built or designed to look like slapped together pieces of junk with the usual bullet hole and other decals on the windows with a few non automotive parts thrown in the mix for good measure.

We like clean works in progress that favor the traditional rod or custom concept though.
    The car would be nice and reliable with a 235 in it but it would also be nice with a later 250 or 292 in it and if you want to do a lot of serious long distance freeway driving the 350 and automatic makes sense especially where your wallet gets involved.
    Take a look back through a lot of the threads that show car shows and 49/52 Chevy car builds and you will see some really nice but fairly clean and simple Chevys that will give some great ideas.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

30. Papabox

Papabox

Thanks Mr48chev.

I won't be doing much freeway driving at all unless going to a show. Living where I do, most shows are close and would require maybe 30-45 minutes on the freeway. I think I like the idea of the 250 or 292 being that the look is similar but they will add a little more punch. Still a question, will a 250 or 292 require me to get a different trans or rear end or both?