Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

So, do you have a straight 6 in your HotRod?
    What is it?
    Is it stock or modified?
    Do you have a Automatic trans?
    Do you like the power and mileage?

Come on, help me out with some inpute!

Glenn

aussie57wag likes this.
  2. I've got a bone stock 250 out of a 72 Nova in the Hupp. It's pushing a 200R4 tranny. No road time yet so nothing to brag about.

3. flat head 230 dual carbs hand buildt headers 3 on the tree 13 mpr in town 25mpg on the freeway at 60 with 2.90 gears it would smoke the tires with the old 3.73 gears

4. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Not mine, but one of my favourite cars from the day. Owned by Richard Naklie

Attached Files:

EVL401, aussie57wag and AHotRod like this.

5. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I WAS going to use a 3.0 litre straight six from a British Zephyr, but that cast iron muthafucker was so heavy I couldn't move it round the garage! So I used a Rover/Buick 215 V8 instead, which weighs less with the tranny on that the six does without.

The six is still under my bench as I'm not strong enough to move that sonofabitch outside to GIVE it away [​IMG]

Nah, just jokin'. I'll use it one day, as it looks cool and is unusual in this age of V8 power.

6. Crease

Crease

That's a silly question............Everybody knows that REAL Hot Rods don't have straight sixes. [​IMG]

And the ass kickin will begin in....

exterminator likes this.
  7. hahahahaha crease....sure, I may run 24's in the quarter mile, but I still get there!!!!
    I got a 6, not in a rod, but in a big tugboat I call the 55. A 250 inline 6 to be exact.

AHotRod and buddyamigo like this.
  8. [ QUOTE ]
    hahahahaha crease....sure, I may run 24's in the quarter mile,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's 2 seconds faster than Crease, isn't it?! [​IMG]

I'll be running a 235, in my '27, with some cool little tricks!

9. 55olds88

55olds88

Nothing wrong with 6's I gots a 202 ci 4 speed in my holden.....
    Hell if you have ever seen an aussie chrysler hemi 6 at full noise you will know that, arguably the fastest Aussie muscle car over the 1/4 thats 265 six vs 351 v8 vs 350 v8.
    Down this way there has always been a lot of hot 6's from the Pommy ones earlier on to the aussie ones in the 70's.
    You need to be running a manual and a bunch of carbs.....
    Alfster where are you ?? probably the most HAMBtastic 6 around these parts.

jigee and kiwijeff like this.
  10. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

235 in the leftover special with a nice rocker cover and dual carbs, ahead of an ironglide. NO IDEA if it runs or not! [​IMG]

uhmmm.... this is TECH? [​IMG]

11. DrJ

DrJ

I have a '51 FORD flat 6 in my gonna finish it some day Model A. got a later '40s Ford Truck top shift 3 speed behind it. Haven't run it but there isn't any reason it won't run. and it's mo motor than an A came with so it IS a HOTROD!

12. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

250 ci inline in a 1965 Falcon. It's got a Clifford dual outlet header, a MSD ignition, an Accel Coil, a Carter RBS carb, and that's about it. Gets me around a lot better than the smokey 170 that it replaced.

13. DeS

DeS
    from Finland

I'll have flatsix in my Kaiser, 226cu.in "Supersonic", funny name. Kaiser's advertising office must have been boring place, no other possibility to figure out that name [​IMG] Anyway, straight six is fine engine, car is moving with it, and usually with less gas. OK, car with six ain't rocket but why hurry? And also, why most of folks want's that stinky [​IMG] smallblock chevy? Dare to be different!!!!!

14. Glenn.....I still have the original 232 cu. in. flathead 6 popper in my '41 Pontiac coupe. Smokes a bit on start-up but runs strong...rear main seal leaks a puddle wherever it idles. Must be related to a Harley.

AHotRod likes this.
  15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Well you can only have a guess as to what type of mill I run in my 29 A coupe!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And its got a 37 Packard 3 speed stick up to it.

How does it run??? Shit hot in my imagination!!! When will it run - soon I hope!!!

Cheers

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hey crease, c'mon up here to NJ, and I'll show ya what a six'll do!
    Running a punched out 292 in my 46 Chevy. Hi-comp pistons, cam, 2 Holley-Weber's, headers, real duals, with steelpacks. 5 speed stick, with a 3:73 Monte SS posi rear.
    I think we can melt some Goodyears here!

17. I got a 292 with a 350 tranny and a 10 bolt posi in my 53 Chevy. Bored .060, over mild cam, advanced curve HEI,and an offy intake .I got a header flange for it but havent gotten the time to put the exhaust together.

31 Thunderbird likes this.
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a '62 235 in my '37 Chevy coupe along with a manual overdrive unit in the torque tube. Running 3.73 gears and get around 20 -22 mpg with the OD and 15-17 mpg without it, depending on my driving habits.

I'm not ashamed to admit I run an inline 6 !! (Uhhh, by the way, don't use my real name....OK ?? [​IMG]

19. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I'm running a blown 225 slant six in my T bucket with a 904 auto tranny, 323 posi rear. Gets about 21 mpg around town and the last trip I made to Old Town, a 120 mile round trip, it got a bout 26 mpg at 60-65 mph.
    As to how it runs, I have more fun with it than I do with the other rods I have.

20. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

My tub is not a str.6 but has a 4.3 v6 was getting 27mpg on the power tour a couple years ago. I have never ran the 1/4 with it so I dont know what it runs. I know it wont set the world on fire but it will set you back in the seat prety good. I allso ran a 34 chev vintage dirt car a few yers ago with a 250 str 6. Stock motor with intake, 500 2bl, cam and header. I had a blast with that thing till I got kicked out of that group. I dot think GOTRA liked getting there v8 cars blowed away by a str 6

6narow likes this.
  21. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Slant 6, 170. Soon to be a Slant 6 225 (229 after .30 over pistons) or a HEMI if I can talk Jack outta the one in the trunk of his Desoto.

Attached Files:

22. I have a straight six in my 51.... Sadly, it's a bone stock 216.

We have plans to go up a notch to the next inline 6 (238?)and setting it up for dual carbs, etc.

The 216 is doggy for sure but once you get past the lack of bottom end power it does run smooth as silk for crusing. I have no problems maintaining good highway speeds with my current setup. I'd probably even entertain the idea of rebuilding this engine if it had a little more umph but I'f I'm pulling the engine out, I might as well upgrade.

My dad's friend used to run sixes in all sorts of cars and had hopped up sixes that could beat V8's.

For what it's worth... I think sixes just look cool.

Stacey

MO54Frank likes this.
  23. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey crease, c'mon up here to NJ, and I'll show ya what a six'll do!
    Running a punched out 292 in my 46 Chevy. Hi-comp pistons, cam,

2 Holley-Weber's,--- <font color="red"> </font> what the hell is a holly-weber???

headers, real duals, with steelpacks--- I have tube headers and plan on straight pipes

. 5 speed stick----,I'm getting ready to drop a 292 in my 57 chev what 5 speed works???

with a 3:73 Monte SS posi rear.
    I think we can melt some Goodyears here!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for any help! [​IMG]

24. Rocket88

Rocket88

I was teching a 69 Dart at the track the other weekend.
    Had a pretty cool slant six in it.
    He refered to it as "the leaning tower of power".....lol..
    Never heard that one before!

25. Kinky6

Kinky6

Got a 302" GMC inline six in my '39 Chevy. 3 H-W two barrels, dual exhaust, Camaro 5 speed, 4.11 rear end.

Sorry, no pictures.

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

I got a 235 straight 6 in my '58 Apache.

27. I'm running a semi-chromed 170 with a bunch of goodies modified. I have an Aussie 2V head and intake waiting to be used as well. It's a dependable workhorse, looks nostalagic and thrust me where I need to go.
    Anyway when I need real speed, I crawl out of the cages and onto my cycles.

28. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel
    from Lavon, Tx

Just got my 34 chevy seedan two weeks ago, and need to decide between the 208, one of two 216's, or an oil burning 292. [​IMG]

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

48 HEMI, Holley Webers are late model 2 bbl's that came on (GASP) Vegas, and such! They are very 'tuneable', cheap, easy to rebuild, and are progressive. They run on one barrel, until you reach about 2/3 throttle, when the second kicks in. They're ugly, non-trad, but work well. I'm covering them up with Steelings and Hellings style air filters.
    S-10 5 speed. Discussed on this board many times. Overdrive, shifter in the right spot, practically a bolt in! If you need a stronger trans, you can use a Camaro T-5, but you have to use the tailshaft off the S-10 for the right shifter location.
    Tube headers would make more power, but I want mine to look a bit more Traditional. I used Stovebolt's cast iron headers, and had them black porcelinized, so they look "old school", like a Packard, or Deusey engine. And I like the sound of the steelpacks better than just straight pipe..personal preference!
    Yours sounds like it's gonna scream!

30. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

I have a 235 with some bolt ons... dual holley weber progressive carbs on offy intake, fentons, hei elect. dist. It was a little tired when I got it but the dual carbs made a big difference. Most likely I will be rebuilding another 235 I have sitting in my garage to replace it. I think they are hard to kill once they are running good. They sound great with fentons and are fun to drive even when I had a 4.65 and stock granny gear but I will be putting my truck back together with a 3.55 and a rebuilt Saginaw 4spd.

I don't think an auto trans on a 235 would be any fun but I know they sell kits and people do it.