Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The (mis) Adventures of a Compulsive Tinkerer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Apr 13, 2024.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Those mundane jobs add up to the finished critter. I enjoy seeing how different people tackle different jobs, some with ease, some with fear and trepidation. My way may be different than yours, but who is really right if both our ways work?

2. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s a concept that got acquainted with when I became a supervisor in aerospace assembly and test. Some of my fellow supervisors demanded that the techs do everything their way. I felt that as long as it meets specs and procedural requirements that they could do it their way. Made for a better working environment.

X-cpe, 1oldtimer, 427 sleeper and 4 others like this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I don't remember ever seeing a silver battery cable before............:D Enjoying your thread, it's almost like being in my shop.......but without the sweat.:)

bchctybob and enloe like this.
  4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Bob, I alway use Cole Hersee switches

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    bchctybob likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks, I’ll look into that.
    The battery cable is from Belden. I’ve never seen silver insulation before either. The insulation is thick and durable. It has some indentations in it but no cuts, abrasions or internal corrosion so I reused it with new ends.
    A new fuel pump and lines is the next task. The fuel line is Aeroquip black braided hose from front to back with a Stewart Warner 240 fuel pump. The line leaves the (homemade) fuel tank, goes to a Fram HPG-1 filter and then through the trunk bulkhead into the passenger compartment! There it goes across the floor and out to the outside of the frame rail where the pump is mounted. Then through two body mounts to the engine compartment. So far it has been trouble free, but it needs to be updated.
    I ordered a roll of 1/2” aluminum fuel line and some AN nuts and sleeves. I’ll be using a single Holley blue pump and regulator with the Fram filter before the pump.

Stock Racer and ekimneirbo like this.
  6. brando1956

brando1956

That may be marine battery cable. If it is tinned copper that is an indication it was made for marine use. Damp environments cause a lot of corrosion on plain copper. Marine cable also has thicker insulation. Used to work on boats and saw a lot of silver cable there. Seems like I only saw it on OE applications, don't recall ever using it for replacement. We used red or black tinned cable, which lessens the chance of accidental reverse polarity.

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not sure how your tank is mounted, but I would make an access so the fuel pump can be replaced without dropping the tank. Electric fuel pumps tend to fail without any notice. Had one fail on my truck while I was driving it 70 mph. Was running perfect..........then nothing. On both my projects I'm going to have easy replcement access because I hate dropping a tank, especially away from home. If you have a trunk mount then it shouldn't be any problem.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m hoping to mount the pump on the inside of the passenger side frame rail just below the tank. That tank might have to go. I bought a nice new aluminum tank for the Austin but for some reason, I never did install it. I’ll revisit it, and probably find out why.

vtwhead and loudbang like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I dug out the tank that I bought a long time ago and it was pretty obvious why I didn’t install it, it’s way too big. I don’t know what I was thinking but with that tank in place there isn’t room for the battery. I dragged out a tank that I built for my Dad’s old Flatbottom, it’s just 9 gallons but it would work. It’s not a good fit though. So I ended up ordering a 12 gallon aluminum tank that should be perfect.
    Here’s the old one. I did think about sectioning the current tank but I’m not thrilled about cleaning and welding on used gas tanks these days.
    IMG_5982.jpeg
    Here’s the space available. The tank I ordered will fit into the existing bracket. I’ll try to do a little cleanup in there.
    IMG_5984.jpeg
    Here’s the good old Stewart-Warner fuel pump. It will make its way into my roadster.
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    I got all of my fuel line stuff finally so I guess I’ll start up front and work my way back with the new line until the tank arrives.

enloe, pila38, porkshop and 6 others like this.
  10. Balljoint

Balljoint

Keep it up as long as you can Bob, this activity of working on your projects in your own special environment (garage/shop) that you’ve created over the years is like medicine to a man’s soul. I and many others on here are of the same mindset. The destination is rarely ever achieved, it is a wrenching an tinkering journey, with all the successes and setbacks, along with the ability to enjoy our rides that makes it all worthwhile.

11. Budget36

Budget36

Can you still get diaphragms for those pumps? 15/20 years ago I went through the two SW pumps I had from my dad. He may have used them previously, but they looked unused.
    Not that style of pump though.
    Anyways, I put 12 v to the fist one and at the start, sounded fine, within 20/30 seconds sound changed.
    So I popped the top off and the diaphragm was all apart.
    Okay, grabbed the 2nd one out of the box. Same thing happened.
    NAPA couldn’t get me a kit for it, so just shelved them somewhere.
    Heck, may have been even longer than that as I never did an internet search for the diaphragm kit.

bchctybob likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I doubt that there are any service parts available for them these days, if there are, I'd like to know. But I have about four or five of them and the one that I just took off of the Austin works great.
    Three out of the four Holley blue pumps that I dug out didn't work, but it didn't take much to get them going again. Maybe I'll dig out the rest of my S-W pumps and give 'em a test.
    Cobra restorers used to buy up all of the S-W 240s, I guess that's what Shelby used on them. Maybe they have a source for the parts.

Budget36 likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

It looks like there are several sources for rebuild kits, whether they are in stock or not is another story altogether. I’ve always liked those pumps. I have no idea as to the actual flow numbers or pressure but I’ve used them on several street cars and they are quiet and reliable. I’m kinda surprised that there aren’t Chinese versions available these days.

14. Algoma56, porkshop and bchctybob like this.
  15. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey, thanks for the link. Like I mentioned, they have always been my go-to pump for street cars, good to know they can be serviced or rebuilt. Did you see the price on that one site for a refurbished/restored one? $1100.00 Yikes.
    I had one on my '27 T years ago when a customer brought in his '63 Lightweight Galaxie 427 for headers. He saw it and offered me $400 for it. Turns out, he was also a big GT 350 and Cobra guy. I didn't sell it, but I did swap out the S-W pump when I sold the roadster. That's when I started picking them up at the swap meets, while I could afford them.

Algoma56, porkshop and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

It appears the style/model you have is the same S-W fuel pumps used on Cobras, hence the high price.

I bought a rebuild kit for my later model S-W electric fuel pump here, and they shipped the next day, so I was happy. Pump was not hard to rebuild, but some steady hands and a light touch were required to get the old (now like rubber cement consistency) rubber diaphragm material off: https://www.go2marine.com/shop-all-categories/engine-parts/related-engine-parts/fuel-pumps

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/stewart-warner-fuel-pump.463799/

bchctybob and Algoma56 like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I set my new fuel tank in to see how it fits. It fits great but it poses the same problem that it had before, it’s a bitch to fuel it up. My red coupe was the same. The filler is up inside the truck. I see two solutions, turn the tank 90 degrees and make a new mount, or put the filler in the body and run a hose up to it. Either way is ok with me. I guess I’ll flip a coin.
    I’ll scuff it up with Scotchbright no matter how I mount it.
    2377D121-3864-45C8-A8BB-8092C0239E20.jpeg

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

I also made a fuel pump mount for the Holley blue pump I’ll be using and got the pump mounted to the frame rail. It looks tilted but the car is off the ground in the back so it’ll be level and out of sight when it’s back on the ground.
    903D5A0A-774C-49E3-8BA5-F287D604005B.jpeg 16D5ED7C-8B75-4265-8839-1FFC2F034121.jpeg D606318B-3DD3-449C-AE8D-A53C717907BC.jpeg

Short day today, I ended up staring at someone else’s work bench….
    6BF2D95E-AA5D-4BA9-9083-94F20F4F43A5.jpeg
    Yep, ER triage room. Had some nasty chest pains last night and my lovely wife insisted that I go and get checked out today. At least I got the fuel pump mounted before we left.
    So far, so good. Getting old sucks.

porkshop, SS327, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. Yikes, praying everything is ok.

20. Time is muscle… will you be spending the day getting labs and tests? Better to get it checked out.

porkshop, loudbang, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

We’ve been here since 3, it’s 6 now. No big deal. Just waiting for the Dr to tell me what he found out from the tests. It’s a shame though, I felt good this morning and the weather is really nice today. Coulda got the tank mounted and moved on to the fuel lines. Oh well.

porkshop, loudbang, swade41 and 3 others like this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well crap. They are keeping me overnight for observation. I won’t get to bolt down my new fuel tank for a few days. Rats….

Edit: I scored room 302! I told the nurse that I was hoping for 327 but she mumbled something about four on the floor and walked away.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    pila38, X-cpe, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Get well

bchctybob likes this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did they atleast give you an inclination as to what the problem might be???
    Hoping for the best for you!

bchctybob likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, you are in the safest place you could be right now, we are all hoping for the best.

porkshop and bchctybob like this.
  26. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Feel Better Bob!!

bchctybob likes this.
  27. bchctybob

bchctybob

They are monitoring, more tests in the morning. It can’t be too bad, I felt fine all day. You know, like a broken inner valve spring , it’s just a little off as compared to a broken outer or a broken rocker arm. I guess we’ll see….

porkshop, SS327, Moriarity and 3 others like this.
  28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah, don't give'm any reason for a longer hospital stay over just one day/night !

Mike

bchctybob likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Damn Bob. Stay and get what’s needed. Goes without saying, but everyone wants the best for you and your family as well.

bchctybob likes this.