Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel pump ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mgtstumpy, May 31, 2019.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm attempting to identify this 12v electric fuel pump (Make/model/flow rate) with a view to acquiring one that I can restore and use on my car. Stewart Warner /Carter with sediment bowl /filter cartridge base? I have a pre-filter that I also want to hide/install before the pump. These are the only pictures I've been able to locate to date. Hopefully someone will be able to recognise it?
    pump.jpg

upload_2019-6-1_12-30-18.png

[​IMG]
    I've managed to locate this one (Stewart Warner 240-A) which could be a likely candidate but not at those prices. :eek::eek: There are a few used ones out there.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. squirrel

squirrel

maybe?
    SW 240a

pump.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Thanks for that, I've bought from seller before so I fired off a quick E-mail to see if still available. Wow, that was quick! I bought that car we discussed and will now make a few improvements to make it a more accurate clone for when it arrives down here. :D

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I just located a NOS one on that website as well as a rebuild kit for a LOT less than the other links. Cost was not much more than old used ones that still require a full restoration. :)

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

SW_Service_Instructions.jpg cobraart5_large.jpg
    SCAN0304.JPG
    155598501_stewart-warner-electric-fuel-pump-1958-print-ad-.jpg SWC27_zps56494150.jpg
    A bit more googling established that these Stewart Warner pumps were fitted to all Ford Thunderbolts, GT40s, Shelby Cobras and Mustangs and other HP cars. I'll just mount it on the rear frame adjacent to driver’s side of gas tank and use it in conjunction with engine mounted mechanical pumps as it's an adjustable pump unlike the 240-D.

6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Hi, we’re did you get the rebuild kit?

302GMC likes this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I picked up kit from E-Bay however this GT40 site has them. Likewise their are Cobra sites over your way would most likely be able to help. It pays to shop around as prices will vary from shop to shop.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2020-3-27_21-14-10.png
    I was fortunate to also pick up the correct NOS SW mounting bracket to suit. All installed and pre-wired, only requiring lines to be connected and 12v.

squirrel and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  9. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Looks good. I narrowly missed out on one of these, just abut the same time you posted this thread (no this pump, one in the UK)
    Does anyone know what the new Stewart Warner pumps are like/any good?

Attached Files: