Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical **August is for a Bang of a Good Time**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winduptoy, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Was feelin spoke-ey this mornin... brought another set of Buffalo’s back to life! They’ll be holdin up a speedster soon:cool:

806FBB46-ACAF-48FE-AE19-8BBBEF6EE258.jpeg

Crazydaddyo, GuyW, Dustyp489 and 12 others like this.
  2. This is not a "Three Springer" but the wood bucks to hammer out the various body panels were made from lofting charts published in Mark Dee"s "Miller Dynasty. The car in the photo has a 1928/29 Essex chassis. Find one and you have a frame which is already narrow; and has a rear "Kick Up"!

BE2018.jpg miller@shop1 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).png

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

[​IMG]
    Went to a small rural town 30 minutes from me this morning for Coffee and Cars. Coupe performed flawlessly there and back - sort of sorry I had to put it away but I had chores to do when I got home.

Stan Back, Super88, Dustyp489 and 7 others like this.
  4. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

5. John,

Car is a beauty, my friend

Mark's book is a really good read, I believe he wrote and published it while a member of the SuperFours club.

John

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  6. Kevin, those Buffalos are GORGEOUS!!!

winduptoy likes this.
  7. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Mac the Yankee. Those carbs look like they're probably S&S super E or possibly G.

winduptoy likes this.
  8. callcoy

callcoy

Return to Find
    About 10 years ago a gentleman contacted me and invited me to look at his "Model A" stuff, of course I said I would like to see what he had. He was way out in the country in the the redwoods on a little ranch. His stuff was very interesting, that what I could see through the extreme clutter. When we headed back up to the house, he took me to his basement and showed me his MacDowell 2 port and a Winfield head, he wasn't interested in selling anything. Today I visited the little ranch after being contacted by the gentleman's widow, she needed help in getting rid of the "stuff", I worked out a plan and was able to purchase those heads.

Dustyp489, Lil'Alb, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  9. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Is this a Winfield overhead valve head...?

johnneilson and winduptoy like this.
  10. Can't remember if I'd already posted these photos of the maintenance of the Miller Ford with the panels off

2021Maintenance32.jpg 20210Maintenance32(3).jpg millermaint001_zps2aab5d11 (2017_06_30 15_13_08 UTC).jpg

11. Thanks for the “naked” pictures!:eek:
    If I can live long enough, I have almost everything needed to put together my sprint car.
    This bare bones shots help immensely.
    Beautiful and well done car!

winduptoy likes this.
  12. Thanks! I wanted to help others so they'd not make the mistakes that I made! One of the big failures I made was keeping a well worn Franklin steering box! It broke TWICE before I got it through my thick head to replace it with a new Schroeder box!

If I were just starting to build one; I'd want to do a "Two Man" car similar to this one owned by Seth Hammond. His will have a Dreyer DOHC engine.
    Seth'sracecar.jpg

13. What part broke on the Franklin steering?
    That’s what I have; already been modified with extended shaft.
    Of course, I won’t be hammering on it like you do. But failure at any speed isn’t an option.

Dustyp489 and winduptoy like this.
  14. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Good going Steve! I guess I missed your call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. callcoy

callcoy

I should been clearer in my description, it is an aluminum flat head, I do not yet what ratio it is. I have never owned a Winfield, I know there are repops out there and I believe his first offerings were cast iron, I will learn some from this one. When I get these back to Tenn. I will pressure test them, I may have junk, a shelf warmer or I hope a couple of winners. If you have knowledge of Winfield heads I would appreciate hearing what you and others have to say.

winduptoy likes this.
  16. callcoy

callcoy

I apologize ! We missed you up at the "Lake", it just not right not having you there. I was hoping to have an opportunity to break bread with you this trip, however I am backed up and have to go south for a few days. Started a project for buddy, a 30 A coupe, it is his alter ego, he does the Pikes Peak thing. I promise the widow lady the I will have a crew of 6 to clean out her pole barn, she can get rid of A and early cars and parts. Will see how things go, don't know till I make progress.
    Hope all is well
    Steve

winduptoy likes this.
  17. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

The chances of an overhead were literally nil...! But had to ask. Seem to remember the story that only a handful of castings, 2 or 3 of those were ever finished. Would have had 4 special built carbs bolted directly to the side too.

The flat heads were produced on a much larger scale. First in iron by Winfield, then by Bell Auto in aluminum, possibly others too...

winduptoy likes this.
  18. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

winduptoy likes this.
  19. Pine tree jamboree racing in maine. 11.6 with a 59mph. Not bad for a 400 dollar banger!

Attached Files:

20. It first broke at the middle of the shaft between the box & the Pittman Arm. Inspection showed it had long been cracked deep in the middle. We ground the ends and welded them. We put a fish-mouth sleeve over the break. Next it broke at the Pittman Arm., I got rid of it. I should have known not to depend on old "work-hardened" metal. I've replace with mostly forgings all the old crap (including joints, spindles and rods) on all critical elements of steering and suspension. Engines, transmissions and drive axles have been dealt with by other means.

winduptoy, hotrodA and Dustyp489 like this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Jiminy

Jiminy

Link to September 2022

I had a small stroke in June and my life got turned upside down. Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  23. joemac05

joemac05

You are still alive and with us, that is the main thing. :)

I had a Cardiac ablation procedure myself two weeks ago Amazing what they can do to keep us alive. :p

Jet96 and BeaverMatt like this.
  24. YEA! "Jiminy" lives! Stay comfortable our friend! May you continue to live a long life; we're all pulling for you!

Dustyp489 and Jet96 like this.