Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 ford Reverse Eye front Spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rusty Knutts, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

Would any of you fellas happen to know the distance, length ( center of eye to center of eye) for a 1934 Ford reverse eye front spring when used with stock (non dropped) Ford I beam axle? Could I expect the eyes hit the top of the axle with this application? Thanks guys!

2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Stock or dropped axle will make no difference.Spring with original 33-34 perches is in same location.'32 perches are a bit lower (1/8")and that is why the spring rubbed the top of the axle when the perch pins wore.

3. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

I was thinking some manufacturers of dropped axles located their spring perch bolts somewhere other than the original location? Would you know the distance between the eyes of a reversed front spring when used on a stock 1934 eye beam. Thanks

4. clem

clem

815 mm when loaded, - give or take 5mm on my ‘32 - which I believe is the same for ‘33 - ‘34 ?
    Should not the distance be the same whether the eyes are normal or reversed ?
    25.4 mm to an inch - in case that is the next question……

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022

5. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

6. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

I wouldn't think being reversed would have any bearing on the length?

kevinrevin likes this.
  7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

When you are talking about a 32-36 axle(interchanges) the spring perch hole location doesn't change.In the case of 35-36 its the wishbone bolt location.In 35-36 the spring hangs off the wishbone.Who gave you the idea that they would change the original location? The wishbone bolt location changed in 1937 and so did the axle.

8. ...I think it does shorten the spring, but only incrementally.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same as stock because you “reverse” the eyes on the stock spring with an anvil and a hammer by re-arching the stock spring in the opposite direction.

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

I reverse them with a press. Keep in mind with the eyes on top the original spring it gets longer, and goofs up the shackle angle. been discussed here many times

11. clem

clem

My comment was because you specifically asked about a reversed spring, implying that something was different to an original type spring. - (maybe it was just me and the way I understood your question).
    Although I was assuming that you were buying a reversed eye spring as opposed to reversing the main leaf yourself. If that is the situation, see post above.

I think it’s the 31” one that you need - measured when not under load.
    Someone must be able to confirm this. bttt….

rusty valley and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. 100% Matt

100% Matt

13. clem

clem

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty sure @lothiandon1940 is correct. When you reverse the eyes on a stock spring the center-to-center distance of the eyes shortens by about an inch. I tried to do a search for something I saw on the HAMB about a week ago, and there was a real good graphic that showed the difference in distance between a stock spring and a stock spring that had been re-arched to reverse the eyes. I don't remember what the thread topic was or my search would be more fruitful.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. rusty valley

rusty valley

Thats the opposite of what happens. When you press a spring to the same arch but now with the eyes on top, then put a square on the spring end, lined up with center of the eyes, you will see that the eyes when measured from one side to the other are longer. Its a diameter thing, the spring cant change length, but imagine a basket ball , use a socket or a bushing on each side of the ball, the socket on the outside of the ball will have a longer measurement straight across, than if you placed the socket or bushing on the inside of the ball. Same distance over the top of the ball, but straight across to the bushings has changed. There was a post where someone drew it out to understand it, I didnt look. Springs are not all the same, I know they should be, but that not how the world works all the time. I have reversed a few, some results better than others, and some I quit and used a different spring.

16. I bought a standard eye spring for my Belly Tank and found it too tall so i reversed it and it grew about an inch overall, ended up getting a new main leaf made with reversed eyes to the correct length.. When you reverse a spring they end up longer between eye centers. JW

17. If you are buying one for a stock axle go for 31-1/2". The more common 31" is made for narrower perch center aftermarket axles.

If you reverse the eyes of a stock spring it will get longer and you will lose a lot of shackle angle; best to increase the arch a bit to end up the right width which takes away some of lowering effect of reversing the eyes

rusty valley likes this.
  18. clem

clem

If the OP comes back maybe he will be able to put some perch bolts in and take some measurements.
    There’s another thought, do original perch bolts have the same dimensions as aftermarket ones ?