Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A - Mitchell Transmission Max HP?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raaf, May 25, 2022.

1. raaf

raaf

Friends,

How much HP do you think the Mitchell Transmission can handle behind a hopped up banger? I'm targeting potentially 110-120hp.

I've called Mitchell and he assured me the OVERDRIVE can handle this easily, but said he wasn't really sure on the transmission itself. He said it "can handle what any stock A transmission can handle."

Any experience or thoughts to share?

Thanks!

Raaf

2. 4ty

4ty

Get a later tranny.
    JMO
    Paul in CT

raaf likes this.
  3. raaf

raaf

Yeah...most signs are pointing me to the T5. If that's the case, who makes the best conversion kit? I want to retain closed driveline.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend got one behind his blown flathead in a 40- 50’s style 32 roadster with a stock rear end…..hasn’t complained but doesn’t drive like an idiot either.

raaf likes this.

5. raaf

raaf

@jimmy six - That's encouraging....thank you.

Anyone else have experiences to share?

My other concerns beyond horsepower is the cost and the wait. Mitchell transmissions are very expensive and come with a 5 month wait. The attractive aspects for me are that they are mostly stock appearance and bolt-in + 2nd 3rd gear synchro. Just looking for some more confidence that it can support my application.

Downsides for the T5 are more work for adapting to the A. I'd like to keep my mechanical brakes for now, and closed driveshaft. Also, I understand the location of the shifter will move. Advantages of lower cost for the T5 may be offset by less straightforward install. But with the T5 I can also forgo the additional cost of overdrive.

In the end, probably just have to make a call and deal with it. The nostalgia of double clutching has worn off and I'm ready for more top end.

6. Step 1) Hydraulic brakes
    Step 2) Think about more horsepower

raaf likes this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I run with a Mitchell unit behind my Mercury flathead and have done so for 9 years. I don't beat on it but can't say I baby it either. My car may have a few more horsepower, however, they sell these units for the V-8 market as well.

In being fully open: I did have a problem with the unit a couple of years back as it would get hung up in high. I shipped it back to Mitchell and the folks there were wonderful to work with returning it fully repaired. When you talk with the people at Mitchell, you will likely be talking with one of the owners.

Would I rather have a five speed? Maybe but once you get used to it, its fun. Mostly, I use the higher range as a fourth-overdrive gear and do not split shift much unless driving hilly back roads.

raaf likes this.
  8. raaf

raaf

Agreed - I should have clarified. In the short term I'm going with a 6:1 head - nothing too crazy. I have a stock A motor so that's as far as I am comfortable pushing it. In the meantime I'm pulling parts together for a more powerful engine, but that won't be ready for at least a year. So the idea was to get a synchro and overdrive in for better drivability asap. Hydraulic brakes will come when I switch out for a more powerful engine circa '23. This will be a slow process due to parts' availability.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm trying to increase drivability and trying to keep as much of the "A" fun at the same time.

Appreciate the responses - gives me more to consider.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

you need one of those "T 170" trannys that are 3 speed with 4th gear being overdrive. Popular with A guys as they are short enough to fit with out hacking the center cross member, and there is a kit to mate them up to the ford closed drive

raaf and irishsteve like this.
  10. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

11. raaf

raaf

@rusty valley & @Fabber McGee - Thanks I have heard of these conversions but hadn't seriously considered it before. With your help you've sent me down a rabbit hole of research, where I am now very much considering this. It seems to find a nice balance between the Mitchell and the T5.

So with your help I was briefly elated in finding what looks to be a nearly perfect solution and then...Spoiler alert - these transmissions are currently difficult to find.

So my quest has officially begun for a 84' - '87 T170 - if anyone has any leads, please let me know.

Appreciate everyone's help. The HAMB never fails.

firstinsteele likes this.
  12. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Keep an eye on your u-pull-it yards. They made a hell of a bunch of them.

13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee