Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Adding Turn Signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Apr 4, 2022.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Who has added a simple turn signal system to your car and what was used. By simple I mean no self canceling, no hazard blinkers, with maybe a light to show signals are flashing. I’m thinking maybe a left and right toggle switch. Not fond of of some of the switches that get hung on steering column with radiator hose clamp. What is out there that looks good and simple. Thanks!

2. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Dash mount rotary type switch, with a half-wingnut?
    C10832_1.jpg
    Phil

3. squirrel

squirrel

I got one of these used from ebay, it looks right at home in an early 50s car. And it has cancelling, if you can get the roller wheel to ride on the lower part of the steering wheel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265353593278?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

more years than I want to count ago there was an article in a rod magazine about taking a turn signal switch that was in a column and mounting it under the dash so just the handle stuck out and then shortening the handle. That would be simple and most of us have an old column laying around to rob the switch out of.
    I've got a piece of 1 inch aluminum angle that is maybe 3 inches long with two toggle switches mounted in it with one being left and one being right and they are turned so you flip them in the correct direction. as simple as it gets but I was always forgetting to turn them off.

olscrounger and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. beater32

beater32

I used a generic column mount turn signal set up. But removed the case a d mounted the guts inside the seat frame. I just have the lever poking out a couple of inches.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a simple two way toggle switch mounted in the lip of my 32 dash so that the arm points downwards. A weatherproof rubber cover makes it unnoticeable.

But I have European style rear lighting, ie separate rear indicator lights, so there is no flashing of the brake light filament. I wouldn't know how I could wire my simple switch to operate the rears American style. I'd like to know though as my in the works 32 coupe could do with them!

Chris

Splitbudaba likes this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Lucas DB10 relay.

Happydaze likes this.
  9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that! A pricey piece but as long as it doesn't live upto Lucas' 'Prince of Darkness' reputation it's probably worth it.

Chris

PhilA likes this.
  10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

They live with a reputation for notoriety.

Normally because they get mounted on the engine side of the firewall and go rusty and quit working right.

Happydaze likes this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18, olscrounger and PhilA like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

heh...the car I put that old switch in recently would have been originally equipped with a DB10 relay, and an expensive Lucas dash mounted switch. But since I live in the US, I can get away with putting in period correct cheap American parts instead.

41 GMC K-18, firstinsteele and PhilA like this.
  13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was referring to Lucas' international reputation generally, but I concur mounting to an almost external position makes the outcome self fulfilling!

Funny thing is that here in the UK we've been convinced over time that Lucas is really great stuff! Us Brits are good at convincing ourselves that way, if its not invented here..... , not that its all bad though! Ha!

Chris

'28phonebooth likes this.
  15. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Their car stuff wasn't bad. Their bike wiring however was abysmal.

A lot of the time the bad rap comes from harsh climes (high humidity particularly) where the damp gets in and makes the contacts corrode.

A lot of North America has significant condensing humidity so they got a very poor reputation here. C'est la vie.

Phil

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought a chrome clamp on hotrod turnsignal switch that just clamps to the small columns. No canceling, and the end of the signal arm is illuminated so it flashes whenever the switch is turned either way. So saves adding indicators in the dash also. Pretty basic without canceling either, but has worked great for over a decade since i built my Austin gasser. Bought it from a friend who sells United Pacific products.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 and dana barlow like this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I changed everything over on my old Austin to modern updated wiring, except the original headlight switch, which is Lucas. I pulled it out to replace and saw it was a big heavy duty looking switch, and was actually serviceable by removing screws to split it in half. I opened it up and wiped it down internally. Then used GE silicone electric grease on all the contacts, and put it back together. It's pre WWII vintage, and still works perfectly, even with modern halogen lamps retrofitted inside my original headlamp reflectors. So not all Lucas electric products are junk.

PhilA likes this.
  18. evintho

evintho

You said simple. '39 Ford LED 3-wire taillights out back, motorcycle turnsignals up front mounted under the headlights, a simple 3 position toggle switch mounted under the dash wired thru an LED T/S switch with relays for each T/S. For indicators, 2 small green LED lights in the dash.

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My OT dune buggy is a street legal car so it has signals. They are ran on a simple toggle switch under the dash. The toggle is off in the center. Easy, out of the way, works well. No indicators as you can clearly see the marker lights on the fenders from the driver's seat.

20. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have used this method a few times ,
    I Personally like a clean column, (20s 40ish Vehicle)
    Pic shows a converter for LED on rear brake lights , The converter (black box) can be removed/not installed if not necessary ( No rear Led rear lights )
    Hopkins #48895 Or 48847
    Its about 3/8 thick by 1-1/2 X 2 long
    $15ish
    D90BBBFE-07A5-49E4-B3F6-62D2C189C6C8.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    slim38, ClarkH, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  21. DPDT toggle switch is easy; one side for the fronts and the other side with a couple relays to separate the brake and signals for the rear.

22. I posted this one before. It couldn't be simpler, one wire for hot, one wire each for left and right.
    Manual on, manual cancel. The light is in the toggle. You need a 1" hole and a flasher, though.
    Search for "Monark turn signal switch" on the webs.
    Monark-1.jpg

Late Edit: Someone smarter than me mentioned "brake light cancelation" when the turn indicators are functioning. I'm totally low tech so my solution would be a filament/bulb/light for the brakes AND a filament/bulb/light for the turn signal. Back-up lights might do double duty if you never have them function at the same time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 and rusty valley like this.
  23. we set up one of these in the '33 plymouth and added a rear light. it works great and sef-cancelling timing can be modified. might be a bit pricey than most, but its made in the USA by a small shop that cares.

We have a 6 volt pos ground.
    you can also buy it with the toggle if needed.
    http://turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm
    http://turnswitch.com/

Tman and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

I agree, easy and old looking. Easiest way to get a system (7 wire), that cancels out the brake light when the turn signal is flashing!
    8C4B592A-52A4-4EFE-877C-E652BDE5F448.jpeg

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ I have used this one in a few 40's but under edge of dash with a 40 knob--knob drilled for small hole so green indicator can be seen when activated-Just did another 40 with one mounted to column --took it off of column(looked funky)-under dash with 40 knob on the end.--indicators behind speaker grille

RICH B likes this.
  26. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Did Google search for rotary type switches but was not able to find anything. Right now leaning toward Ron Francis Wiring toggle switch. I have used Ron Francis stuff and not been disappointed. No self cancelling, no hazard lights just small and simple. May wire in a small (LED) indicator light showing turn signal is on. Thanks.

27. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

28. A Boner

A Boner

Funky? This type of aftermarket switch was the “go to” back in the mid-fifties when turn signals came into common use, to retrofit older cars!

1971BB427 likes this.