Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 31 FORD model A towbar ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slackspanner, Dec 3, 2021.

1. slackspanner

slackspanner

Im new here and thanks for letting me join..looking for tips, ideas and pics from anyone who has made and fitted a trailer towbar to a 31 model A...stock chassis ...thanks

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  2. You could fab one to bolt to your frame horns,Your spreader bar will help keep them straight

dana barlow likes this.
  3. I think the OP is from the UK, in which case he means a trailer hitch for the rear of the car. Outside the US that is called a tow bar, as opposed to a tow bar in front to tow the car with.

People may be across this but I'd thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

LOST ANGEL and trikejunkie like this.
  4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

If the towbar / trailer hitch if for the A
    Frame ,Difficult you could use the bumper mounts holes on frame (rear)for light small towing. Fab in a thought up way so it could be removable under bumper then step up pass bumper if used/ installed .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021

5. slackspanner

slackspanner

looking at maybe using the u bolts on the rear spring and running brace forward and onto side rails...only towing a teardrop so no more than 4 cwt

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Do a little bit of welding? IMG_1547.JPG

7. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Ive got what I think is a tow bar made for a model A or 32 . Ill take a picture of it tomorrow.

slackspanner likes this.
  8. slackspanner

slackspanner

That would be great thanks

9. atch

atch

Next time I'm at my buddy Bob's I'll see if he'll let me take pix of his. When his children were little (30 some years ago) he and his wife pulled a teardrop all over the U.S with his Model A sedan. The kids were little enough that all 4 slept in the teardrop. His frame and body are original but modern drivetrain (he still has the car and trailer).

Unfortunately it will probably be mid-winter the next time I'm there. You'll probably be on the road with yours by then.

@b-bop on here pulls a trailer all over Canada and the Western parts of the U.S with his Model A. Maybe he'll see this and chime in. Here's b-bop's rig:

[​IMG]

10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

11. slackspanner

slackspanner

Still looking for ideas thanks

12. A Boner

A Boner

Wouldn’t Model A rear bumper brackets be a good starting point, to fab something up?

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

On the rear it would be a draw bar in the US. Not sure about elsewere.

14. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Here is the one I removed from a A . Disregard the attaching plates . They do not belong . All that attached it to the rear split bumper were steel plates . CD132423-04F4-47A1-A778-3262D1100881.jpeg 00B2F71D-583F-4A23-B458-73F421C6ABAF.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

16. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I made one for mine using a couple of rear bumper brackets and a modified light duty receiver hitch of unknown parentage that I fished out of the dump. Cut two rear sections off of some junk rear bumper brackets leaving the mounting bolt holes and the hole that the bumper bolt goes through or use a piece of 5/16" strap with bolt holes drilled to match bumper bracket to frame bolts. You want the new brackets to reach out to the inside of the vertical bumper bolt hole. That will keep the hitch to forward of the bumpers.
    Cut a piece of 2X2 X 1/4"square tubing to fit between the brackets you cut. Weld the tube between the cut off brackets making sure the cut offs bolt to the same holes but using longer bolts if needed. You can then weld receiver hitch components to the bottom of the cross bar or weld a piece of 3/8 flat stock with a hole drilled for the hitch ball. Keep the hitch ball 1 1/2 " from the cross bar to reduce leverage on your mount. I use mine regularly for light duty hauling and it would handle a teardrop easily. If you can decipher this you'll be good to go.

17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

18. atch

atch

There is a 30/31 trailer hitch listed for sale on Ford Barn right now. It's in Addison, Illinois; priced at $65.00.

Where are you (it's not in your profile)?

Link: 1930-31 Model A Trailer Hitch - The Ford Barn

There are also several threads on the Ford Barn regarding trailer hitches on Model A's.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least three of my friends towed small trailers all over the west and beyond behind Model A Fords but I don't have a photo one of the hitches.

20. I made a 1/4” plate to pick up the u bolts under the rear spring and welded a peice of heavy wall rhs to it.
    I only needed a tow point for the racer but with 2 light diagonals going off to the rear cross member it could be made into a fine tow hitch. Disregard the upper mount, I just wanted a bracket for a spare and abit of added weight to the rear end.
    Just an idea for a tow hitch mount. 73CD7503-C947-4B8F-BFFC-0F2AFF1DD6D3.jpeg

21. slackspanner

slackspanner

Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys

22. A Boner

A Boner

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

24. slackspanner

slackspanner

any more ideas guys