Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Swamp Yankee Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JRN1967, Jan 10, 2021.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

good flattie first shot, play the lottery as you are on a roll...
    too bad you missed the tail end of the good ol' days,
    i just made it, started messing with model As in '82...

Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  2. guitarguy

guitarguy

Upstate NY? A guy named Matt?

Digging the build, I'm proud to be an east coast guy surrounded by all these cool hot rods being built traditionally.

3. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Thank you guitarguy! Yes Upstate NY, but his name was Bob.

chryslerfan55, Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  4. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I removed the body from the frame and put it away in storage for the winter.
    IMG_7817.jpg

5. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Right about this time is when Smitty and I got into some horse trading. His friend David hooked me up with this F1 crossmember and pedals. Smitty got his parts delivered for free! ;) .... Edit... I should add he offered to pay me for delivering the parts, but I was happy with the deal on the crossmember. Someday I may take him up on that Montreal Steak though.
    IMG_7828.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  6. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Glad I wasn't able to sell this cowl last fall, it's coming in handy now.
    IMG_7863.jpg

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

GridIron rest / sportspub...
    let me know even if you are just cruising through, meet ya there...
    i'm good for a 10oz. Sirlion Montreal seasoning, taders ... $15.95.
    about 1/2 mile off I95, exit 80, east onto rt. 196...
    they just built a separate dining room so you don't have to share the air with the all afternoon drinkers...
    kinda the long way to LL BEAN'S but only by a few miles, if she needs any motivation...

8. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

Can you show how you ended up doing the steering box? Following this build. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  9. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I've got hotel points to burn and when the vacation state opens up to overnight guests, I'll take you up on that offer.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I found a good deal on this F1 box, column, and wheel. Before I did anything to it, I researched how others on here and the Barn had modified theirs to fit an AV8. There's a couple popular ways to do this. One way is to use the stock location and open up the existing hole. The other way is to move the box to wherever the builder likes it for their own personal taste. I wanted the stock location.
    IMG_7859.jpg

11. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I fabricated my steering box, motor height, and headers almost simultaneously. I was also lucky enough to get some government help from some friends at work. They made up two flanges to mount the box to the frame.
    Flange.jpg

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

And yes i will spring for a Montreal steak for the mrs. too !
    wouldn't want her to have to watch us pound down the dead cow while her stomach growls...

13. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I don't have any pics of the box before I did my modifications, but I can try explain it. I completely disassembled the steering box and cut off the original flange with a cut off wheel. Next I turned down the outer casting and flange in a lathe to 1.850" diameter. Basically I used the ideas from this thread and there's a pdf pattern on page 2.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/steering-av8-f1-box-model-a-flange-why.628257/

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

I look forward to these updates when I get home from work:)

loudbang and JRN1967 like this.
  15. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Before I decided on a permanent location to weld the flange, I did several mock ups with the headers, engine, and steering column. I made a quick 1.5" column drop out of aluminum to get steering wheel location.
    f1 steering 2 - Copy.jpg

brEad and loudbang like this.
  16. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

As you can see here, no matter what I tried the economy headers interfered with the steering box.
    IMG_7890.jpg

About 1/4" clearance after I modified the headers.
    f1 steering 6.jpg
    I missed out on a nice set of Red's Headers here in parts section. But I may spring for a set
    later on in the build. These econo's will help me achieve my drive way burn out goal for
    August 2021.

chryslerfan55, TFoch and loudbang like this.
  17. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

With no interference between the engine, box and headers I tacked the flange in place and welded it on the bench.
    f1 steering 4.jpg

brEad, chryslerfan55, Jrs50 and 3 others like this.
  18. v8flat44

v8flat44

I'm sure watch'n...love the 8BA.

loudbang likes this.
  19. I guess you work buddies did the custom stamping?
    That is a cool touch.

loudbang likes this.
  20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice progress bro.
    A Montreal steak is Smitty speak for $25.00
    He does like his steaks!!

21. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Thank you Budget - I check in on a couple other builds, as well... It helps pass the winter.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  22. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Yes, they were all proud of themselves... The senior guy used my flange to help train a recent hire, he wanted to teach him the engraving function. Everyone got something out of it.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  23. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

Montreal steak is like his Gold Standard.... Although I think he's been doing some quantitative easing because it was valued at $20.00 last fall. :) Just kidding Smitty!

24. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

When I bought my 30 coupe from Donnie up in Northern NH, he threw in an S10 5sp trans as part of the deal. I was hell bent on using that transmission because of the overdrive. But as time went on, I decided I liked the idea and simplicity of the 39 style trans. Plus it would have meant using an open drive line vs the torque tube. And finally the torque tube really determines where everything lines up. Basically if you work backwards, torque tube then 39 trans, then engine, then locate your front motor mounts.

I stumbled onto this 99A locally - And yes, at the seller's request... I did wear a mask.
    99A.JPG

25. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

My transmission came without a rear bearing retainer, which kind of opened up the door for many possibilities.
    When I bought the F1 crossmember David gave me a good deal on this 37-40 retainer. I wanted this type because it can be inverted 180 degrees, and allows you to position it lower into the F1 crossmember. With a few modifications.
    IMG_7927.jpg
    IMG_7931.jpg

26. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

I'm still in the process of modifying the F1 crossmember, but this is what I started with.
    IMG_7828.jpg
    I'm not finished with it, but you can see that I lowered the center section so the transmission would sit lower.
    Then I fabricated mount locations for biscuit style mounts to the retainer. I plan on doing more trimming/modifying so it fits better in the 31 frame.
    Crossmember2.jpg

brEad, chryslerfan55, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  27. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

With the crossmember back in the frame, I'm fitting the pedals to the column and cowl.
    Crossmember7.jpg

28. JRN1967

JRN1967
    from Monson MA

The pedals got pushed about 1.5 inches towards the transmission. You can see how I fabricated the crossmember to accept the 37 style retainer with the biscuit mounts.
    Crossmember9.jpg

29. Slick Jimmy

Slick Jimmy
    from Eden NY

30. Very cool story ! I feel the need to comment about the guys ragging on you for negotiating when the asking price was more than fair. Been wheeling & dealing cars my entire life and I've decided it's partly a regional thing. When I lived in New Hampshire and Western Mass (yes I hung out on Rock-a-Dundee rd) driving around and telling ghost stories when I was a teenager... But anyway. Up there it was expected to do a bit of back & forth. It's simply part of "playing the game" and everyone does it and enjoys it. The seller starts a little higher than he really wants with the expectation that the buyer will want to negotiate. In that area if you simply pay the asking price the seller will think he hooked a sucker. In the end if both parties are happy with where it ends up a deal is made. Since moving to Tennessee 10 years ago I've noticed that not everyone in the South enjoys "the game".. I've had sellers cop an attitude when I made what I thought was a fair offer on something and tell me if the price was up for discussion the ad would say "or best offer". Looking forward to how this project turns out.