Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ingress/Egress question for early cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Oct 30, 2020.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago, a friend bought a Model A five window coupe and was showing it off to me. He said,"Get In!", which I tried to do. My 6' 2" frame did not comply. After he explained that I had to put my head in first, contort my body thus so, etc., I finally got in. Once in, it wasn't bad. Then I had to get out. Shit! I just don't belong here!

As I think about my next project, I would like to build an early 30's hot rod but it HAS to be comfortable and easy to get in and out of or I simply won't waste my time and money. I know most people weren't as tall as me back then but surely some were. What cars from the early 30's, say 32-34, would fit me? What have others done? I am not willing to compromise on this and I'm not interested in a convertible or roadster.

Bandit Billy, 41 GMC K-18 and jnaki like this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I’m an average 5’10” but I can’t get in my 26 T modified without the removable steering wheel and my single seater is another story you literally have to crawl into it. I guess that’s the price of being so Goddamn KOOL! Hahaha!

alanp561, Blues4U, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  3. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Suicide doors will make it a little easier to get in and out.

alanp561, LOST ANGEL and rockable like this.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have built a pile of early Fords, almost all of them chopped, and I fit in them just fine. (I'm 6' 2", 210#)

Be mindful of seat, steering wheel, and pedal position and you will be fine. Model A coupes can get small quickly because of the short doors, but 32 3 windows and 33, 34 Fords have bigger doors which can make a huge difference. It also helps to not be fat or old, but sometimes that can't be helped.....

-Abone.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm 6', and old, but I get in and out of my A pickup just fine; and there's a whole lot less room in a pickup than a coupe. Having the right seats and having them mounted correctly makes a huge difference.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Probably overall the biggest issue !

Hnstray, X-cpe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. I'm going to tell you a story that will possibly help you decide. Years ago, my friend was looking at 32 and 34 Fords. He had commented to his son about wanting something comfortable and all the other factors that go with his mindset. His son said: "dad, hot rods aren't comfortable." If that's what you want , look at something newer with more space. A hot rod should have the animal feel. It's not supposed to make you feel like you're relaxing running down the road. There are many vehicles that do that but they don't meet the description of hot rod to me. That is just my opinion and regard is as such. :)

Driver50x, alanp561, 56don and 6 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quick release steering wheel hub.

20180331_122738.jpg

9. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

My 28 Tudor is chopped 3” but not channeled. Seat placement and height allow me to get in and out with little problem and I’m 6’2”, 250lbs.

I toss my right leg in and slide into the car and then in comes the left leg. Good leg room and plenty of head room.

Cliff Ramsdell
    FC105157-B066-41C7-8808-6A68496E673B.jpeg A9F3FD82-C1B2-48BE-AA8E-1584E5F683AC.jpeg 99C4C558-BFB3-4145-9CFD-5664D55E8C16.jpeg CDD7A180-792A-4615-AAD2-0071514407E8.jpeg

10. Look inside an empty 32 or 34 coupe. There is a lot of room!
    The trick is not to stuff it with too much furniture or poorly positioned column, wheel and pedals.

Also Cliff, thanks for posting a pic of yourself with the car. It puts things into perspective.
    I'm sure if many space challenged people did the same it would explain a lot.;)

11. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

There was an aftermarket steering wheel available during Model T days called a Fat Man Wheel. The way the hub and spokes were made allowed you to push the wheel up to give more clearance between the seat and column.
    upload_2020-10-30_20-13-5.jpeg

Maybe something like that is possible...?
    Of course, you are correct, the average Joe back then was shorter and lighter than the average man now.

catdad49 likes this.
  12. adam401

adam401

A 33 or 34 has alot of room. You could easily build a comfortable car out of one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mild chop, no channel. Or vice versa. Coupes (or coupsters) and sedans or Vickys are best.

14. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Running boards are the biggest problem. I built a ‘32highboy once, I like fenders. My rods will always have fenders and running boards.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

40FORDPU and rockable like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Mopars, 33-34. More room than a Ford of the same years. Lots bigger trunk as well.

16. I second the suicide doors option. Add a tilt or quick release wheel and you can be a 500# gorilla and still get in and out without looking like you're playing on a jungle gym. Sure, hotrods are going to be a bit uncomfortable, but you don't have to look like a doofuss getting in and out of one.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

40's cars have more room. But even with them, proper seat placement makes a world of difference. I had to move my seat back 2" in the 47 Lincoln to get enough legroom. Before, it felt like my knees were against my chest, now I can stretch them out. Kills the back seat room, but who rides back there anyway, usually only kids.

And I agree with stanlow69, the Mopars do have more leg room. The 36 Dodge truck I had, even being chopped about 4" and channeled 3", I could sit on a cushion on the floor and stretch my legs out flat in front of me. I'm only 5' 10", used to be 5' 11", have lost an inch of height somehow.

Frankie47 and rockable like this.
  18. belair

belair

The older they are, the smaller they are.

Frankie47 likes this.
  19. trollst

trollst

Same years chrysler and dodge products are larger cars, a 29 dodge or chrysler has way more room in them, and NO wood in the bodies.

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is not the problem. 195 and 6' 2" would not classify me as overweight at 66 yrs old. Thanks, anyway. :D

I should add, I know there is room AFTER you get in. I want to be able to get in without any special contortions required. Mopars are sounding good....but I'm sure they are hard to find. 3 windows and Tudors have longer doors. Right?

That 5 window Model A just shut me down. That is why I build my 41 Plymouth and my 49 Buick. I have moved the seat back on every car I own. I expect that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    wfo guy likes this.
  21. Nash and Studebaker from that era are also the way to go. They were big and had class. Both were built to standards that Ford wished he could have matched..

RMR&C, das858 and rockable like this.
  22. dartracer

dartracer

image.jpeg 6-3, 300#, 29 Chrysler with quick release wheel and you put it on head first.

Frankie47 likes this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

6’no problem, but my dad took out the package tray, he was a 6 footer too

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

RJP has the idea, but don't limit yourself to just those 2. A lot of non-ford/chev had larger bodies, both in length & width. Essex was one. Willys & it's variations, Hudson, upper-scale Gm's are some others. The list is long. What can you find that is now a stand-out in the crowd? & darn near all of them are more interesting than ford/chev. Most of the 20's/early 30's also had parallel leaf suspension & other than big-name companies, used outsider-vendors for the engines. Very strong frames & usually straight6, = lots of room under the hood, also = better proportions than ford. So hopefully, they don't get re-done w/ford-type suspension n flattie mills. Unless you really want a ford, then at least 33 or later.
    Large, tall, or fat, isn't the only reason to look at the so-called odd-rods. Old & arthritic/etc is another. Not to mention liking the hardly-seen. :) .
    Marcus...

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

I can get my body into my 31 model A coupe ok.
    I do have big wide feet, understand? (Pun intended)
    When it comes to bringing my left foot in is where the
    problem arises. It is most difficult. I am contemplating
    modifying the edge of the seat bottom edge or the metal pan? May be able to remove the small shelf behind the seat and move the entire seat support structure back and remount it? Once in the coupe
    it is comfortable enough, even with the door closed.
    A couple of inches more foot room would enough
    to make entry or exit easier without resembling a
    circus contortionist.

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6'1" and 235lbs is exactly why I traded my Sedan Deliv. for a '36 Cabriolet...I needed more room/comfort. The fact that I was 12 years younger and put on 25lbs since I built it, didn't help the situation much either;)
    last32-1.jpg

nochop, alanp561, gnichols and 4 others like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My brother and I were not 6’2” tall, but we did get a Model A for our first car that we were going to make into a street legal hot rod/drag race car for competing at Lion’s Dragstrip. After we got the 4 banger running, we took a drive in it and being two big teenagers, the interior was a little cramped. We thought of getting bucket seats and moving it back as much as we could. But, my brother’s new 58 Impala interrupted the build, so we moved on to the next project.

During the final days of the Impala class racing, we went looking for the next project. We saw a nice Model A roadster pickup, but unless we added approximately 6-8 inches in the seating extension, we did not fit, comfortably. Then we tried another 34 coupe, similar to our friend’s 34 5 window with an Olds motor in it. It ran daily on the street and in the A/Gas Class at Lion’s Dragstrip. I guess, we thought that coupe had enough space even if we put in a couple of bucket seats moved to the far reaches of the inside space. But, our heads would have been close to the back section and window.
    upload_2020-10-31_4-54-39.png
    Moving the seat back to maximum… not our friend’s 1959 version of his black 34 5 window coupe

I guess when riding around in the black 34 5 window of our friend, it was so cool that one probably tended to overlook the tight quarters for being in such a cool hot rod. Plus, the acceleration of the lighter weight coupe vs the heavy 58 Impala just seemed like we were in a rocket ship… at least powered by “a rocket.” With the doors opening from the front, it is possible to sit first and then slide in the legs.

Jnaki

The first thing we did when we finally got a pristine1940 Willys Coupe that was sitting for many months in a grassy backyard, was to take out the original seat and get a pair of sporty car bucket seats, moved back as far as possible. Now, this new seating provided enough room for the both of us to go cruising around. But, for the original drag racing edition, we put in a Moon Aluminum Tank and Pump in front of the passenger seat. That cramped the comfortable seating for the passenger.

So, we weren’t 6’2” but we had space issues for two big growing teenagers. In college, I grew to almost 6’1” so the growth spurt lasted until then. If we were both 6’2” each, and we really liked the RPU, we would have made the extension in the body to be able to move the seats back in a comfortable seating/driving position.

If a Model A coupe is what you are set on, there would be ways to give you a few more inches in interior room, but the 34 5 window coupe seems like a better fit. Pehaps a 34 sedan or sedan delivery? Or possibly a Model A Sedan or Sedan Delivery. No chopped tops or try to sit first as if your knees are 70 years old and you put them in last.

In our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, there was plenty of room for a 6'1" guy and his wife to be comfortable in 1000s of miles of driving. Two bucket seats moved back as far as possible was the main reason. But, at this stage of the game, we would get a 2 door 1940 Ford Sedan for better sight lines and little, if any, blind spots.

Previous post

Also, sitting in an open roadster with your height might be a challenge. Most roadsters were a little cramped as the generations grew in our society. Even back in 1960, my brother and I had thoughts of a Model A roadster pick up for another project, but realized two brothers would not fit without altering/extending the seating area back into the shortened bed. There is only so much room modifying the seats and pedals without compromising driving comfort. Extended arm driving versus cramped bent elbows and the steering wheel intruding on comfort, is no one’s idea of cool cruising. Or safety for that matter… here is an orange Model A drawing I have been tossing around for ideas.
    upload_2020-10-31_4-57-0.png
    There is even a nicely finished, red Model A RPU, extended, here on the HAMB built for more room in the cab… check it out...YRMV

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/28-rpu-build-thread-it-will-be-red.703537/
    upload_2020-10-31_4-57-47.png @NEVER2OLD

28. 5window

5window

Cars made in the 20's and 30's were made for smaller,thinner people. There weren't many fat folks in the midst of a Depression and World War. Getting in/out is part of the game. One reason why 3 window Deuces are more popular (and more repro 'glas bodies are made) than 5 windows is that the doors are wider, accommodating today's sized people better.

You might consider something like the expanded cab '34 pickup that Speedway offers (and there may be others) :https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1934-Ford-Club-Cab-Pickup-Fiberglass-Body-Kit-Car,50493.html

alanp561 likes this.
  29. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

If you're tall, don't channel the car. find seats with a low "squab" height, ( area you sit on) In my sedan, the seats are located 4 inches further back than stock. You can do that a little in a coupe, but not in a pick-up, as I'm finding out.