Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Classifieds: 1939 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Featured Classifieds: 1939 Ford Sedan

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

39 and 40 fords are wonderful cars, Ryan is right, they drive like a dream. (anyone that puts mustang 2 IFS in one should be ashamed of themselves) Nothing can pry the silly grin off my face when I am behind the wheel of my 40.....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  3. Agree with both of you guys. I've been a sucker for '39 - '40 Fords since I was a youngster building models of them. 07032014.jpg 20170917_072324.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Have to agree. A dropped axle and a reversed eye spring and your good to go. 380'000 miles and I am still smiling.

5. As much as I've always loved the '40 Ford, the '39 even has the added charm of the opening windshield (as well as the cowl vent) and the cleaner looking side glass without the wind-wings. :)

6. Agreed, great cars.
    This specific one is very nice..also agree too much money in todays market.
    A realistic price in todays market for that car would be $16K - $20K, and still may have to sit on it a while to find the guy that has to have it.
    Lots of choices out there.
    @Moriarity couldn't agree more, I've had/built many of these, I only installed one with the Mustang II, never will I ever make that mistake again.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's a great looking example... Perfect stance!

Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Got my 40 coupe last summer, did some updates (no IFS front) and now have a sweet driving ride. Certainly rides better than the 4 deuces in my basement. I did add air cause it's hot in Nebraska. Always wanted another one because my first Hot Rod back in 1970 was 39 deluxe coupe with a nailhead.

Tim, Thor1, mitch 36 and 3 others like this.
  9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I been looking at that add since he first posted it.
    It's a super nice car, just perfect for a driver.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Quite odd timing -- just this afternoon a friend asked if I knew of anyone looking for a '40 Ford.
    This is in Minnesota.
    Low quality video shows it running 6 2-barrel carbs!
    (Not a fan of the wheels)

Attach15307_20200427_152231.jpg

guthriesmith, 63fdsnr, Tim and 4 others like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-28_4-27-17.png
    Hello,

Nice story on a cool looking Ford sedan. That black color fits right in place. If I presented this for sale sedan to my wife as a future purchase, she would look at me with some funny glares, saying we are done with black or dark color cars. When we were “20 somethings,” we had a red 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Then over the years, several black cars came into the car owning scene. She kind of gave up doing maintenance of the appearance on the dark or black color, due to the constant dust, water spots, bird "crapola," and other road hazards. So, her mantra was/is… it has to be a light, neutral color, as the lighter colors stays cleaner longer. Her present station wagon is a Pearlescent white paint that actually stays cleaner a lot longer than dark color cars we have maintained over the years.

That 1939 Ford sedan price is enticing, but since I grew up as a teenager with a Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, I learned to live with that experience. With only 80 hp, we were limited or struggled with those steep coastal road trips. We had to get a 3rd gear running start with as much speed as we could get to not have to downshift to a lower gear going up the other side of the 3 most used incline roads.

The steep climb at El Morro Beach in North Laguna Beach, the long grind slope at the Torrey Pines Grade and the last one we avoided was the very steep and long grind up the Conejo Pass of the 405 freeway from Camarillo up into Los Angeles. Those were the main obstructions of owning a low horsepower, Flathead powered sedan delivery, pick and choose the route.

We usually took the coastal route anywhere we went on our surf trips, but if speed and timing was necessary to get home, the freeway from Camarillo into Los Angeles was the fastest time. But the coastal highway was the most interesting with more surf spots to check out and possibly, a stop for a late lunch or early dinner along the Malibu coast.

In Torrey Pines, if we stopped at the Torrey Pines State Beach at the base of the grade, the drive up the hill going toward the rest of San Diego county was first gear from the dead stop up that steep grade. That meant the slow lane and creeping up that hill. The Flathead just did not have enough power.

upload_2020-4-28_4-28-3.png
    Sure, perhaps more horsepower like additional carbs/cam and what ever else was available would have increased the HP. But, the teenage pocket book reserved the extra money for the necessities of a weekend surf trip, not more HP.

Jnaki

Even with today’s need for a cool 1939-40 sedan, the drive from NY to the West Coast would be an adventure to say the least. We did find one on the West Coast, just down the beach from our house. This West Coast version just needed a new paint job, but had everything my wife and I would need to get back to cruising on our coastal road trips.

A sedan delivery, it is not. This sedan has the greenhouse views all around the car. That means not cussing out the small outside passenger side mirror to try and see what is creeping up that side of the hot rod. But, my wife said that green paint just has to go…

upload_2020-4-28_4-29-24.png upload_2020-4-28_4-29-36.png
    It is a little more in cost, but we would get a lot more for our money. Besides, what else are we doing with our money? You can’t take it with you… Perhaps, with the green color, we could blend better with the other cars anywhere and not stick out like a sore thumb. But, it is hard to not like a red or a silver color. The SBC motor/4 speed would be a steep highway "stomper", shooting up any steep slope with much more horsepower. The look is still very So Cal traditional and it has the power to match. The cost? Well, it is just extra money to use for us in our old age, isn’t it?

I better not speak so loudly, as my wife might blast out of the front door with “face mask in place” and her checkbook, to go look at this 1940 Ford Sedan as our next hot rod. She is definitely a keeper and so might this cool green sedan.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    63fdsnr and Rolleiflex like this.
  12. Still learning here, I think a '39 has stainless around the windshield while a '40 has a rubber gasket.
    Haha Don still plays with cars!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What in the fresh hell is this shit about? All this banter over a "sloper"? Nobody in their right mind would have one of those things, amirite?
    IMG_20150730_160741571_HDR (1).jpg
    Point of fact, we all know I'm not in my right mind. Just as much a mess as the rest of y'all pining away about these things. I mean really, what's not to like? This is like several cars. You have "the one" then you see the variants and want those too. In my case I swoon over the 38 Deluxe as well as the 39 Std. Then I see a 40 Std and they're no slouch. Features? Of course the cane shift, but the opening windshield and cowl vents are the shit. Side glass is too cool for school. The front door glass kicks back 1st then goes down, and without that haji-ass sheet metal thing in the windows of a 34. The rear glass goes back almost 2", or goes down in a conventional manner. I dig the roof mounted wipers. 39 Stds got the features of the 38 Dlx in that regard. All of em got the bright W/S frame and 2 wipers, likely a simple carryover fromthe 38 Dlx, but they still got the single rear lamp. As a matter of taste I dig the big glass on the 39 Std headlights vs the flatter glass on the 39 Dlx. As much as they're all the same they're all so different too. Spice of life. This blog entry gives even more itch to scratch. Been diggin mine out of mothballs and getting it done. Shit I might even start it before Memorial day :eek:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

15. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

For old hot rodders. These cars are the bomb. My first car a '39 standard and I currently own a 41 pu. True hot rod classics

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

They really do ride and handle great, l think the 42-48 platform rides a little softer but they don’t have the same nimble feel as the earlier models. I have been beating around in this the last couple months and I really like it. The deluxe-optioned factory anti-sway bar, spindly as it is, makes a huge contribution to the steady handling feel. It’s loads of fun to drive as is, However I feel like I’ve had just about enough three on the tree to last me the rest of my life. A hot 57 283 with 4x2s, a hurst shifted four speed, and early 9” are coalescing currently.
    BA9AC391-0796-4538-A8CC-CABC143FF757.jpeg

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've always like the 39-40 coupes more, but in the last few years I've began to like the 39-48 Tudor sedans as much. Would love to have one with a small block and automatic, ac and ps to cruise around in.

18. guy1unico

guy1unico

$28 - 35k is a great deal considering all the ugly art that sells to idiots for millions.
    1939/40 art and hot rod and daily gorgeous autos...these should sell for the sky.

IMG_3360.JPG

19. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I drove my 40 2 door sedan yesterday. It's basically all stock. It's so nice to drive. They're so pretty, so simple, and so perfect I could just sit and stare at them for hours. Somebody should buy this one quick. You can always make more money.

20. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I've always paid too much for my cars, but I bought them anyway.:)

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I will always miss my 39 Deluxe coupe. When I bought it it had 40 doors on it and rear fenders, also 40 stainless. I put in a 389 Pontiac later changed to a 400 Pontiac, with a 400 TH transmission. Drove it for many years with a dropped axle, then put in a Mustang II not HAMB friendly but I liked it. This was before you could buy many conversions, I used the Mustang crossmember. I later added parallel leaf springs on the rear