Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Jimmy Stewart's first feature 'Speed' (1936!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Jimmy Stewart's first feature 'Speed' (1936!)

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-21_8-51-41.png
    The streamlined car was based on a Cord chassis.

Hey JB,

Nice capture of the old video. I had seen it in other references a long time ago, but never had any interest in it. But, in the research, I found this blurb:
    upload_2020-4-21_8-54-2.png
    upload_2020-4-21_8-54-51.png similar to European motocross helmets without the bill.

You see the most interesting thing on the HAMB. Thanks…

Jnaki
    upload_2020-4-21_8-55-53.png
    Look how close the streamlined car is to the spectators... especially in the movie action sequences...

3. Dutch 1960

Dutch 1960

And the female lead, an actress by the name of Wendy Barrie. Hmm, yep, her godfather J.M Barrie wrote "Peter Pan". Small world...

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Around the late 80's was doing some work for a guy in Long Beach and saw the "FALCON" on a trailer in his storage warehouse

5. Dutch 1960

Dutch 1960

Just started watching...the scenes where the press workers are sticking their hands in there while the press is coming down, about 5:30 or so, !!!!!!!!

6. indaworx40

indaworx40
    from New York

Thanks @Jive-Bomber. Nice distraction on a cold rainy day.
    Funny how about ten years later Jimmy Stewart teamed up with another guy named Clarence!:)

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  7. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Spectators at dry lakes today are so far away you need binoculars. It was hilarious seeing people scramble out of the way inches from being killed, then seeing him driven to the hospital in the Falcon.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  9. LAROKE

LAROKE

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

You should double check that you didn't end up with a copy of the Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock "Speed"

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

I did. I already have the one you're referring to. That's what you get with a "speed dvd" search. If you search "speed jimmy stewart dvd" you get the 1936 film.

stillrunners and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. williebill

williebill

I'd drive it to work every day.

kidcampbell71 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I don't think that I've ever met a streamliner that I didn't like.

14. Cool stuff.....thanks for sharing !

15. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

IMCDb page here. I put up the pictures after making a DVD off a TCM broadcast.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just watched a bit of the Ole Golden Oldy...Yeah Cheesy Cake with Some pretty suggestive bravado eh...I sure as heck hope those Hell Drivers had at the very least seat belts and safety glass...they did some some real smash'em up back in the day...

And I haven't even got to the good stuff yet...thank for sharing this real vintage time in go fast @Jive-Bomber...

17. big john d

big john d
    from ma

Jimmy Stewart a real american hero a few years after this movie he put life on hold and volunteerd to serve he was put in the army air corp because he knew how to fly he flew bombers over europe and retired as a two star general

Stogy likes this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well it's no Ford vs Ferrari but for its time not bad at all. It was interesting hearing "busted" being used in the 30s and realizing it's not some newish bit of slang...

Stogy likes this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Fun to watch! Thanks for posting!

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Recently I read an article online written by a guy who was a teenager in the post war years, He hung around an airport in Canada, helping fuel planes or anything else he could do to be there and get a little pocket change.
    Late one afternoon a call came over the tower radio requesting permission to land, plus wind speed & direction, etc. Permission to land and info were passed along and a P51 Mustang roared in for a landing.
    The pilot had the plane refueled, etc, explained he would be leaving early next morning to continue Westbound to some sort of military event in Western Canada. He then caught a taxi to town and a meal and a hotel room for the night.
    So of course the youngster was there before daybreak, not wanting to miss a thing. The pilot arrived , did a pre flight check, climbed aboard, fired up that mighty V12, and warmed it up.
    With an open canopy he saluted the crowd and then taxied to the downwind end of the runway. The crowd could see the canopy close and then came a mighty roar from that magnificent Merlin engine and the plane leaped away and down the runway it came, lifting the tail then soaring skyward in the flight pattern.
    Within minutes a call came over the tower radio from the P51, asking for permission to "salute" the field, which was granted.
    The crowd soon heard the mighty scream of that Merlin at full boost from the turbo, and moments later it appeared at the end of the runway, below treetop level, just high enough to keep that whirling prop off the ground, and when even with the crowd pulled up almost vertical as it climbed up and disappeared from sight,
    That pilot was General James Stewart, USAFR.:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020