Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Generator to alternator conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd Ashworth, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Todd Ashworth

Todd Ashworth
    from Utah

Looking for info on wiring my 62 comet from a generator to alternator

2. birdman1

birdman1

I just use the one wire gm. Just connect the big yellow with black stripes to the battery post on the alternator

Bugguts likes this.
  3. brading

brading

Are you going to run a 1 or 2 wire alternator. Either way first Google " Wire Gauge Amperage Chart " then use a new wire of a suitable gauge from alternator power from the alternator post to either the starter solenoid or the battery.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would not use a one wire alternator. I would use a 80's style alternator and regulator. You can go to a salvage yard and get everything you need. When I built my Pro street Morris minor I used an 86 Lincoln for a donor it gave me a 140 amp alternator and all of the mounting brackets. Paid 200 bucks for the whole car. Notice my regulator mounting on the tensioner bracket.
    got the motor, trans, driveshaft, all the wiring plus the mounting brackets for my small block Windsor. DSCF0956.JPG DSCF0955.JPG

5. I also agree on the 2-wire which is actually a 3-wire including a jumper. Easy to set up and loads of information available.