Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs generator to alternator conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham Louis, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Graham Louis

Graham Louis

Hey ladies and gents.. I am new to the forum. I was searching for a diagram to convert my 62' econoline w/ 170 from a generator to alternator. And GOOGLE suggested this forum. Any info is appriciated

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I can't tell you the proper way to do it but I can tell you how I used to do it.

First look at your generator. It will have its mounting points at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, or at 12 and 4, or at 12 and 8. What ever the configuration, you will need an alternator that matches.

I used to go to the pick a part type junk yard and find a car with an alternator and matching mounts. In your case, preferrably a Ford. Then remove the alternator, wiring, brackets, and regulator if it was separate.

Once I got home it was a fairly simple matter to adapt the alternator and wiring, using the car's wiring diagram and the diagram that matched the alternator, and splicing them together.

It would be simple if you could find a newer Ford six with the same type engine, equipped with an alternator but that may be hard to find. So, you have to work with what you can get.

4. Welcome to the HAMB.

And what's the story behind your cool avatar?

Ya might try the Powergen altenators - look like a generator. Pricy but . We've have had good luck with the two we bought. Try the Speedway catalogue...

5. Diavolo

Diavolo

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use the upper-half of this diagram, in your case:
    [​IMG]
    Use a 3G Ford alterator.
    [​IMG]

The big red lug goes to the battery+ side of the solenoid, or directly to battery+.
    White goes from the S terminal, to the stator plug (the only single-connection plug)
    Ground the red/black wire to the case, and the body, at the other end, for good measure.
    Put a diode between the big yellow/black wire and the small yellow/black wire (if you do not do this, your engine will NOT turn off with the key).
    Connect the big yellow/black wire to the I terminal on the alternator, where the above diagram shows light green/red (LG/R).

I have a 200A 3G hanging off the side of the 200 in my Falcon.

wedjim likes this.
  7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

It's VERY important not to eliminate all the wires going to your existing Voltage Regulator.

I'm doing my 1962 Fairlane right now, and here's the schematic I am using, furnished by a friend from the "Ford Muscle Forums".

Everyone over there seems to agree a Ford 130-amp 3G alternator is the way to go.
    http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/fairlane-pages/611714-what-use-alternator-conversion.html

Curious why you'd switch? My generator is great, and provides plenty of power. I just happen to be adding air conditioning, so I have no choice.

Attached Files:

8. For wiring how you wire it depends on the alternator you use. Some of the older style had an external regulator like a generator for example and other ewer ones just have a sing wire to hook up as they have an internal regulator.
    It was suggested that you look at the clocking of the mounting points from your generator, You can probably buy an alternator for a later 6 cylinder Econoline and stock brackets. Then you would just look for a stockish wiring diagram.

Anyway although some of the fellas have posted wiring diagrams it really is impossible for us to guess at what you may be using for an alternator. When you find what it is that you want to use let us know so we can give you a proper answer.

czuch az likes this.
  9. 2X ^^

I agree, because you might use a GM or Mopar style alternator as well and the wiring would be different.

10. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Why don't you just keep the generator? If it doesn't work, (and they usually do) they are WAY simple to rebuild. Seams much simpler.
    Johnny

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of us run modern accessories like AC for the wife, halogen headlights, 1600-watts of amps, etc.

No generaror can compete.

porknbeaner likes this.
  12. You are definitely right about that but if Graham doesn't fit that profile I would also recommend keeping the generator. Be sure to have it rebuilt by someone that is willing to replace all of the worn parts and not just fix the immediate problem (worn brushes?), paint it and send it down the road.

Charlie Stephens

13. Either road is drivable. Its not like *Devil's Slide in a rain storm. :D

Any decision to change from a generator to an alternator should be performance driven. if you need the amps then an alternator is the way to go and if all you are going to do is drive it as is then a generator is a good choice.

* CA 1 or the Pacific Coast Highway between Pacifica, CA and Sanata Cruz, CA at one time a significantly treacherous stretch of road.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now no longer open to vehicle traffic.

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I went to the Falcon site and bought, yea bought, the swap kit which gave me the mounting bracket, special diode, and wiring diagram, which also includes how to tie in your Generator light, which I haven't done yet. They tell you the best model of alt to get. It was an easy morning job and it works great.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I used the first generation alternator (whatever they are called) on my Fairlane, since it looks more appropriate, and fits well. I also attached a terminal block near the voltage regulator so I didn't have to cut any original wiring.
    The older alternators put out less current than modern ones (38 amp?), but plenty for my needs, and more than the generator.
    I changed mostly to save weight as V8 generator and cast iron bracket are rather heavy.

I think that you have to wire a 100 ohm resistor across the generator light for the charging to work.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are, conveniently enough, called the 1G alternator. They did not have much output, however, you can get, or have them built, for quite a bit more, if you want.

You are right on with the resistor tip. That will keep it charging, even if the light burns out.

You need a diode, too. Pulling a coil wire hurts, when you find out the hard way.

18. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

I agree with you Charlie about the rebuild. Rebuilding generators, (and starters, fuel pumps, water pumps, carbs, master /wheel cylinders, etc etc all the old technology)is what I do for a living. I'm amazed how many we get in that have been "rebuilt" that we need to go through again. They are simple, but still need to be done right...it's all about the details!
    Johnny

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I would look at one of the "pick up your parts" yards for an alternator from a 65-74 Furd product with 170, 200, or 250 inch six. Mavericks and Comets of the early 70s should work just fine.