Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4 banger questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stang Rider, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

Hey Guys I'm new to this message board, as well as the pre war vintage iron. I've finally found a ' 31 5 window Model A coupe. It's got a 4 Banger that's got a crack. I'm looking for info on where to get a book on these engines, and which book is best. Plus where do you get performance parts for them as well? Thanks

Elrod and Stueeee like this.
  2. Purdy Swoft

Purdy Swoft
    from al.

Jim Brierley has one of the very best books that I have seen . I think that Jim is a member here , his book is titled 4-bangers and me . I ordered my copy on the Ford barn

Rex_A_Lott and ROCKER77 like this.
  3. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

5. ^^^^X3, and give us an idea here you are located at. You may be very close to someone here that could possibly be very beneficial to helping you. But we have no way of knowing.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Completes come for sale since guys are still pulling to make hot rods..

7. ^^^ Or make it a flathead AV8 yourself!:D

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Where is the crack on the engine? Maybe fixed?

warhorseracing likes this.
  9. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

There's a bunch of T & A info via the Secrets of Speed Society, Jim Brierley has a bunch of knowledge, Forever Fours also has info as well. if you google Model A ford, http://www.fordgarage.com/ there is a lot of info here as well.

good luck

10. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

thanks for all the replies I've been away from the computer for awhile. I'll try to post a pic of the coupe soon. My main plan is to put a flathead V8 in it. I have a A frame I got from Elrod about a year ago. I plan to do the changing and modifying to it then move the body over to it later. But for now if possible I would like to get the 4 banger running so I can take it to Pistons & Paint meet in Denton TX in the fall. It's really a pretty complete car. The seat is toast. Gotta find a replacement. Again thanks for the replies. Later

Elrod likes this.
  11. Again, where is the crack? If it in the water jacket then it is probably toast. If it is in the head block mating surface maybe not. We really need a picture of the engine to tell you here. We are not warlocks that can pop in to see it from across the country. Again, where are you?

12. If you add your general location to your profile you might find out that the best crack repair person lives just 5 miles from you.

There is a lot of speed equipment out there, both original and modern reproduction. Check out http://www.secretsofspeed.com . When adding stuff to the top end remember that there are only 3 babbitt main bearings on the bottom end. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Charlie Stephens

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_4031.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    harpo1313 likes this.
  13. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

14. ^^^^^^^So where is the crack and what is your location?

15. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

To answer your questions I live in Gainesville TX. I have a machine shop in Bowie TX that has fixed the crack in my 8BA. I've had it awhile, during my search for the coupe. As to the location of the crack that is not known at this time. The previous owner told me " the block is cracked beyond repair". He didn't want to "mess with it". I just took him at his word for it. I just got the car a couple of weeks ago and when my schedule permits I plan to open it up. I'm just looking now for speed parts as I've located a block, should I need it, in Denton. As far as you "being a couple of Warlocks", well that would be impressive, but I don't believe your clairvoyant, just more experienced with these type of motors than I. I'm hoping to change that soon. My main experience is with rebuilding and racing SBC and BBC engines. Craig Stephens , thanks for the great pics. I guess I'm looking for more bling and reliability than speed. I'm hoping for the speed part to come into play with the V8. Thanks guys for the info. Looking forward to putting it to good use.

Elrod likes this.
  16. Entire running engines are available here or on the Ford Barn frequently and would be a good move to buy a running one if you just want to get it moving until you go the V8 route. There are several members near you and maybe they will chime in. If you add your location to your avatar folks will be able to help. You can do that here Profile page.JPG
    where the person is just put your curser there and a drop down will appear. Then you can go in and add your location

17. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

ok thanks. Hope to post a pic of my coupe in a few days

18. You own a machine shop and are experienced in basic machine operation?:) To make the A engine more reliable the best thing you can do to them is go to insert bearings and eliminate the Babbitt on both the rods and mains.

19. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

Looks like I didn't make myself clear. No, I have a machine shop in Bowie TX that I use. I own a couple of lathes and a Bridgeport mill and all the accessories. Yes I am an experienced machinist but not the automotive type. Yes I've read on other posts in this web site about the insert bearings and the part #'s. I agree that I don't want to "mess with" the babbit bearings. I'm planning on looking into that once the engine is out of the coupe.

20. Stang Rider

Stang Rider

I took your advice and ordered the book from Jim Thanks

21. If the crack in the block isn't terminal run it with the banger for awhile. I have the original engine in mine and while no power house they are a lot of fun. They can be work for the inexperienced to drive as they are not todays; jump in, push a button, pull it in gear, and drive. The manual brakes have to be adjusted correctly for them to stop straight and they are not a bad system but do require maintenance. You have to adjust your own spark advance and fuel mixture while driving or they can overheat. The three speed transmission is a non syncro that will require either double clutching or learn to shift with the engine speed. They are really a simple car to operate just not what the average person is used to or will tolerate in todays world. Yes the old ways were harder but they will still be running when all of the computers die.