Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question : 1932 Ford steering column

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldbanger71, Nov 28, 2018.

1. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Hi chaps, i'm searching for information about : how to deassemble and refurbish the 1932 Ford V8
    steering column. I could not find such information on the forum, even if there might be advice.
    Help is much aprisiated.
    Best regards Oldbanger 71

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to amazon.com or google and do a search for 'Vern Tardel'. You'll see a variety of booklets and one will g specifically about the steering rebuild. Good info.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

@ Tagman, I have the booklet's of Verne Tardel, but it shows no information about the steeringlock, shaft and Jacket tube. thanks anyway.
    @62 pan, Thanks for the link , unfotunatley still not much information about the steeringcolumn deassmbling...
    hoping for more acurate information 1932 - 48 steering column, before i start the job.

4. Andy

Andy

Here are some hints. The wheel needs to be pulled off. I use a bearing seperator from HF and a two jaw puller. Use a rag for a cushion. Put a bolt in the shaft. The horn rod is removed by pulling the horse shoe at the switch at the bottom. Is the column locked and no key? Drill out the pin holding the lock and turn it to unlock the shaft. Just drill to a size to use a 10-32 tap. The tap will suck the pin out. The column will now slide off. Loosen the clamp at the box.

oldbanger71 likes this.