Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having Hot Rod seating issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Mar 19, 2012.

1. maybelene

maybelene

I did pick up a little headroom but my top is not chopped. At 6'4" I have agood line of sight though. Try to post picks tommorrow.

2. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Sweet looking forward to them!

3. maybelene

maybelene

Here's the seat in the International. Rear mount is a 3/4" bar run across the back and attached to the frame on each side, Front mounts I'm going to use front bumper brackets of a late model 2500 Chevy. Seat tilts forward and is removable.

Attached Files:

4. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Thanks for the pics Maybelene

5. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Those fit in there really nice! Thanks for the pics...

6. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

gel pad instead of foam.. on my roadking the gel pad seat is good for 500 mile days, where as the stock seat maybe 200 and thats with alot of butt rubbing at gas stops

7. Speed~On

Speed~On

Here are the seats in my '31 Model A Coupe. Proof that you can get bomber seats in there and be comfortable at the same time. The leather is wrapped in 4 inches of high density foam and they are quite comfortable. Although the seat back is aluminum it's not back to lay against.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Wow, 60 new members in the past few days...

Thanks for the great response and interest in the seat community. Be sure to check in and up date us often. :D

9. Normbc9

Normbc9

When ever I'm in the hunt for a special seat I call Bob at www.bengels.com in Spring Valley, CA. He is a real talented custom seat builder. His work in my opinion is first rate and designed and built to be trouble free.
    Normbc9

10. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Thank you sir, That means a lot coming from you!

11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

51 Ford channeled 5 inches...

Just finishing up this custom frame for a local car. It has been sectioned 5 inches so that is the reason for the low back. I am using the stock tin but had to modify it with a recess for the new recliner knob location. Keeping the lower cushions as low as possible while still achieving the stock frame look. :DAfter it's installed and we can get the right ride height then it will be coming in for us to hammer the roof the appropriate amount. I will post up another pic of it when its painted and complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. Mine's a 29 A roadster, 3/4 plywood base and back, pleated vinyl / flat vinyl from Garys Upholstery in Florida. Sits somewhat hard but not to bad for my 64 year old butt. Sewed it all myself and never used a sewing machine before. I just really wanted a " tuck & roll " look but didn't have 3 grand to pay someone to do it. These are the only pics I have in process.
    The key is to make your corners nice and tight, and cut the door panel and kick panel wood very accurately. $ 367.00 total, vinyl, foam. thread, glue, staples, and band aids!

Attached Files:

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just removed the racing buckets from my Austin gasser and swapped in a pair of CJ5 lowback buckets that I got for under $260 a pair from Summit. The racing buckets were just too hard on my old bones.
    [​IMG]

14. todztoyz

todztoyz

Heres my 51 with 64 impala buckets. I got a set of 51 mounting brackets/(feet) from a fellow hamber and swapped em onto the 64 sliders. Made some inside brackets to fit. Alot of in and out and cut and weld and cut and weld again! Worked out perfect. Very comfortable and they look great. IMO.

Attached Files:

15. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Very nice thanks for posting the pics up!:D

16. Weasel

Weasel

I'm looking for some buckets that reasonably mimic a split bench - 45 inches maximum width for a 1936 coupe. Alternatively I might go for a split bench but most of them are too wide. A 1939/40 Ford split bench coupe seat is about the right size. Any suggestions out there as to what else might fit without looking too modern?

17. Weasel

Weasel

This seat in a 1936 Cord is sort of what I am after....

[​IMG]

18. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

All done and shipped... 51 Shoebox w/ 5 Inch section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. zgears

zgears

20. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Sweet thanks for posting up!

21. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

DDE82FFC-7993-4101-A901-A429DBB0D4DC.jpeg Just an FYI... We are packing up and bailing on San Diego! We found the most beautiful place on earth for our seat building pleasure. And the folks there are so darn nice im beside myself!
    Why the heck didnt we do this years ago when we evolved into the hot rod seat building business I will never know? Oh well we have a goal of being completely moved and operational at the new facility by new years 2019. If your in the hood after the new year stop in and introduce yourself.

The New Location is,
    Bengels Hot Rod Seats
    12449 Stow Dr.
    Licking, Missouri 65542

stanlow69 likes this.