Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zgears, Sep 2, 2009.

1. zgears

zgears

I replaced my seat springs with plywood to save space only to realize later I'm going to have a gap, when upholstered.

Im thinking, redo the back. longer this time, put in at a angle to cover the stock seat hump . or maybe put a plywood "lip" in to cover. any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    barrnone50 likes this.
  2. Brandi

Brandi

Yup, install at an angle, by the time you get some foam on there, it will look fine and be comfy.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and we built my seat from scratch to sit down and back in the roadster.

3. rustybucket

rustybucket

Here's a crappy picture of what I did, I moved the wood support structure to the front of the hump which allows the board to hang over. The seat back has T nuts in it that allow bolts to pass through the wood support and hold the seat.

Attached Files:

barrnone50 likes this.
  4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just curious, what space are you saving...and for what?

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Vertical space, too sit lower in the car I'd imagine.

6. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

I would say to redo the top to cover the humper, if not I think you could feel it and It's in the lower part of your spine so I don't think it would be comfy, Did you make the seat pad grid fabric thingys or did you buy it? I need some, I guess I could make it.

7. zgears

zgears

made it, its woven upholstery strap.

8. Brandi

Brandi

Ok, so here's what I did. We built a modified seat riser (which we're going to begin manufacturing after the first of the year), then covered it with plywood and foam. Like I said, it puts me down and back and a pal of mine who has just about the same set-up (he's 6'4") has 100,000+ on his '29 roadster.

[​IMG]

Here it is covered (now has vinyl on it). But, it gives you an idea of how the seat is shaped. The back disappears down behind the reveal. But, it also has some lumbar support for the long drives. Was super comfy down and back to CA a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]

barrnone50 likes this.
  9. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Do you need to keep the hump sheet part... Remove it and adjust from there...

10. zgears

zgears

heres my fix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    303racer likes this.
  11. Here is what I would do
    1. Remove the metal panel from the bottom of the seat back floor.
    2. Put you seat back up under the rear of the body and slant it to come close to the seat pan.
    3. Move seat pan forward a bit to make a longer seat bottom.
    I did this on my 28 and it is very very comfortable
    I used "hard" foam for the seat bottom 2in with a 4in roll in front. Sides and back are simular looking to a bucket T but the back has 2in of hard foam because it is tucked up under the panel. This allows me to sit on my legs not my tail bone.

303racer likes this.