Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 37-42 willys flathead v8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke stone, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Luke stone

Luke stone

I'm starting to make some progress with my 38 willys pickup and the 1 thing I can't make my mind up on is what motor to use

I have a love for the flathead ford v8 and have other vehicles with them. My dad has an early 40s 239 sat on the racking in his barn which needs a rebuild but turns free and he's pushing me to use it and while my heart says use it my brain is telling me that a sbc is the way to go as I would like to drive the wheels of this truck when it's done

Has anyone done or seen a flathead v8 in a willys internet searches and searching on here comes up with nothing. Pictures would be great if anyone has any as I'm sure it's been done before. Another reason I'm thinking of the flathead is space is limited in these trucks and I'm thinking that I could use the stock firewall or have to recess it much less than I would for a sbc

Any input would be greatly received
    Thanks
    Luke

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have never seen one but there is a race care in the 37-41 Willys thread that had a flathead in it.

Pat

3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

There is a ‘34 model 77 truck that has a v8 60hp with a supercharger in it. I believe it is craigslist in the Washington state area.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. v8flat44

v8flat44

Dare to be different! A properly & not "overbuilt" flathead is VERY reliable & durable.
    Check any block for cracks...Barners have lots of info on this. Just my 2 cents...... m

5. Luke stone

Luke stone

Thanks pat I'm slowly going through it but nearly 200 pages and a lot of images have gone. How's the ribs?
    Luke

That is the plan if I go this route nice set of heads and inlet and exhaust manifolds to help it breathe. I have a motor but other than it turns over I have no clue on condition but there is a very reputable company over here in the uk I would use to check/ build it for me.

Luke

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Luke your name sounds familiar I think I sent you some spring perches. In any case the ribs healed up just fine, it ended my ski season though but ski season for 18/19 is in a few months. I've been looking also but no luck so far.

Pat

7. elgringo71

elgringo71

8. Luke stone

Luke stone

That's me pat. Least you are now all healed up. I haven't looked through that thread anymore but will have another look tonight

There's some interesting ones in there but motor pics aren't very easy to see and the ones you can see are mounted very far back. I need to get my motor home and sit it in there

Thanks
    Luke

9. 3day

3day
    from UK

1934coupe likes this.
  10. Luke stone

Luke stone

Cheers for that bob interesting read.
    Truck is moving slowly well very slow actually time is pretty tight right now but I've made some repairs to the cab and the parts are slowly coming together. Just need to make my mind up on motor. Hope your good how's the coupe? I may have something for you in the next couple of weeks so I'll be in touch
    Luke