Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 trunk hinge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Bilyeu, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Tom Bilyeu

Tom Bilyeu

I am changing my rumble seat lid to a trunk lid. The hinges I have found at United Pacific for a 5 window don't show how they are supposed to mount so the trunk lid opens with out hitting the drip channel. Does anyone out there have photos of a hinge on a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe with a trunk instead of a rumble seat? Thanks, Tom

2. The 5 window and roadster trunks are the same, and I used a Brookville trunk hinge and it worked good.

3. F&J

F&J

lost my old pics on a PC failure. The hinge is just a long bolt, kinda, with the threads only near the head, and the other end of the bolt is turned down like a door hinge pin.

that bolt screws into a rectangular plate that is on the blind side of the metal flange that also holds the side drip rails.

4. I am also converting a rumble lid to be a trunk lid. I would really appreciate it if someone would post the dimensions for the hinge mounting holes in the lid and for the mounting holes for the trunk support bracket. I know the dimensions for the body holes but I need the dimensions for the holes in the lid.
    Thank you.

5. hightower611

hightower611

6. hightower611

hightower611

upload_2018-7-11_17-1-47.png

I had holes in my trunk lid but not in the body. So I measured numerous times and then drilled the holes for the body side. There is no fore and aft adjustment after you drill and install but there is a little flush/high/low adjustment in the trunk lid part of the hinge. I just made damn sure before I drilled.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    daddy_o's_diner and Jeff Norwell like this.
  7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Let's see your mods to drain channels and latch locations! I hate rumble seats. Everything I own that's older than I am has one.
    FWIW, the rumble vs trunk choices on '32's had factory defaults. For instance, on some models the rumble was standard, trunk instead had to be ordered thus. Other models, trunk was standard.

8. Thank you for the photos Hightower611.
    Bruce, I would also like to see details of the drain and latch areas. My 5 window was converted from trunk to rumble at some point in its life. The modifications done to the original rear panel area were not done neatly.

9. cavman

cavman

hightower611's look a lot like my pics, only prettier... when I got my '32 it had been converted rather crudely, just a big bolt threaded through so it would open. I found some old used outer plates and made them work I milled down a large bolt to mid 60's door pin size and used one of the bronze bushings on the deck lid side. I also put nylon washers on the hinge bolt between the two, and filed a notch near the end of the new pin for a lock ring. 32 hinge.JPG