Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 3W trunk hinge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DenverDave, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Does anyone have a set of pictures of an original 3W trunk hinge? Maybe when you were doing a conversion from a rumble seat car. I am curious to know how close they are to a model A hinge, as I can't find any originals so far. Thanks

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I would just get the stock style hinge kit from Brookville.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I agree. A little known fact is that the vast majority of 1932 3W coupes came with the rumble seat. Trunk coupes are few and far between. Another little known fact is that the 1932 3W coupes with a rumble seat came with a latch/unlatch mechanism inside the coupe.

[​IMG]

They have a small handle on the right side if the inside rear window ledge ( shown here in this photo of someone else's 32 3W ) . NO OUTSIDE handle was installed on the deck lid. .

[​IMG]

This photo shows a 32 3W with the correct style handle ... for a trunk equipped 32. There are reproduction ones made but they are incorrect. They are chrome, not stainless and they DO NOT have the little hole in the handle to access the key tumble.

[​IMG]

Here is the correct handle

[​IMG]

4. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

They have a small handle on the right side if the inside rear window ledge ( shown here in this photo of someone else's 32 3W ) . NO OUTSIDE handle was installed on the deck lid. .

I thought that was to roll the rear window down.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You are correct :)
    I posted the wrong photo ( getting old is a terrible thing :D :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This time ... the right photo.
    Plus you can really tell that this is actually a 32 3W rumble seat coupe. Look at the floor. See how it drops down for the passenger's feet ( in a rumble seat situation ) .
    The correct handle is also installed on the inside rumble lid release. This particular 32 3W has had the original rear package tray removed :eek: and a round tubing bar installed to help support the window drain tray. This allows the seat to move rearward about 2 inches more. The top photo also show that Henry Ford had already drilled the deck lid ... for a handle for trunk coupes. You can also see the drain tray under the rear window of the 3W.

6. Thanks, I know about the rumble seat. I am still looking for a picture of the original style hinges for a trunk.

7. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

Here are a couple of pictures of the drivers side hinge on my 3 window. It's kind of hard to get a good shot , but I hope this will help.

Attached Files:

• 113.jpg
      113.jpg
      File size:
      350.8 KB
      Views:
    • 114.jpg
      114.jpg
      File size:
      231 KB
      Views:
  8. Thanks for the picture and response pappatyrone. Here is the hinge that I am trying to adapt, and I wanted to see if it was anything close to the way the original was done. I wasn't sure if the pin was on the decklid, or if the pin was attached through the backside of the trunk, and the lid hung off of it. By the way, where are you down south? I'd enjoy seeing more pics of your stuff.

[​IMG]

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The threaded part attachs to the inside of the lip of the body/drain channel and the threaded pin goes thru the body into the other bracket which if installed on the lid properly allows you to adjust the lid so it is flush with the forward panel.

10. turdytoo

turdytoo

That pic is of 5w/roadster hinge. The 3w hinge is a strap with a hole and a slot that bolts to the body upright and the gutter. A pin goes through the trough hole and into the hole in the deck lid. Time out I'll go see if I can make a decent pic. Be right back.

11. Andy

Andy

I have had my 3W since 66 and it was pretty original at the time. The T handle is correct for the rear window but a modified door handle is used on the rumble lid. There is a pic of one in the hardware parts handbook and is ID'd for a 32 3W. I bought a repo handle and drilled a hole thru the end and spot faced it for the screw

12. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I have an original 32 3 window trunk car. I made new hinges I have the originals somewhere and if I can find them I will post some pictures

13. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

This time ... the right photo.
    Plus you can really tell that this is actually a 32 3W rumble seat coupe. Look at the floor. See how it drops down for the passenger's feet ( in a rumble seat situation ) .

Ha.....I've owned my 3w for 20 years and never realized the handle to release the rumble latch is on the wrong side. The car was hot-rodded back in the late 40's and somewhere along the way it got switched. I guess since the latch is in the center-the rod length would be the same and it's a simple matter of swinging it over to the other side and screwing it in. Oh well, makes it easy to reach in the drivers window and pop it open when I need to get in there ..........

14. turdytoo

turdytoo

Maybe Captain Scarlet can give you the dimension to make your own , they are really quite simple and in the pics of mine you can only see how they are installed. The slot in the strap allows adjustment and only the bottom hole in the strap is slotted. Basically it is a strap with a pin, a hole and a slot.

Attached Files:

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

At some time mine must have been changed because I have something like the picture of the one you say is a 5 window. My threaded part on the body is like your picture but I have the double screw plate with the adjustment on my lid. ?

16. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Found them..............

Attached Files:

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My 32 3W came with both a rear window handle and a rumble seat release handle. BOTH were the T handle type ( Ford part # B-48200 ) and both were original old Ford ... not reproduction.

Maybe Bruce Lancaster can shed some light on this. Ford had a Service Bulletin for September-October and the installation of the 32 3W rumble seat is covered :). I know of the bulletin but do not have one ( Bruce Lancaster most likely does ).

I just know the way my 32 3W came to me, as you know how yours came to you. :D BUT anything is possible when dealing with coupes from Henry, especially ones that were over 30 years old before we got them. :)

EDIT ... after some research ... :confused: ;) :rolleyes:

I found this 3W coupe

This high point restored 32 3W ... has a LEVER type handle for the rumble seat release.

[​IMG]

And this page shows a lever type ... as correct.
    Bottom of the page ... in the center.

[​IMG]

I stand corrected ... but as a side note ... I installed a 32 pickup door handle in my 32 3W as a rumble seat release handle. The pickup door handle looks a lot like # B-46250-B but already has the hole in the handle so it bolted right on. I went to the pickup handle because with the T handle type ... it was very difficult for the wife to open the rumble seat lid.

18. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

My 3w had the "later type 2 thickened" T-handle for both also..........

19. I new you guys had the information! The google of hotrodders.

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:) :)

Mine actually had a thick one on the rumble seat latch and a thin one on the window regulator. I figured it was just the way Murray Body did it. It stands to reason that the rumble seat handle would need to be studier than the window regulator. :D

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Found this today ... maybe it will help a little.

[​IMG]

Photo is of this coupe's deck lid :)

[​IMG]

The 3W is on that dreaded auction site for 200 grand :eek:

22. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Deuce, Anyway to tell if my 3w body was a rumble or trunk car? My rear floor was cut out and all the handles you guys are talking about are missing.

23. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Do you have a panel bolted in behind the rear valance?

This has the striker rivited to it

24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

A true trunk coupe will have a panel that the latch will bolt to. I stole this photo off the Brookville Roadster site. It shows a roadster ( trunk model ) and the rear panel, but a Deuce 3W coupe trunk car will have a very similar panel.

[​IMG]

Brookville most likely sells this panel for a trunk coupe.
    I would take a actual photo of one ... but both my Deuces are rumble seat cars :D But a trunk makes a LOT more sense than rumble seat when you actually go places and stay overnight.

25. tinmann

tinmann

Mine is a real trunk car.

26. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

My deuce isn't as nice as any of your guys'......YET! I just finally scored an underwater welding job so I will finally be able to work on it. Anyway, I am still sort of lost on what I'm looking for. Here are a couple shots. You can see in the first shot that my decklid fits like a glove:eek:. Second shot is the same angle as the brookville shot you posted earlier, Deuce. Id just like to know. Id be happy either way.

27. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Might help if I post the pictures.....:eek:

Attached Files:

28. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Hope you guys can see those shots, they are pretty blurry. Cell phone shots.

29. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Trunk coupe ... for sure :D
    See the panel ... that is covering part of the grill shell ?? That panel would keep the deck lid from going down into the body :) That is where the latch/lock came from Henry.

A reproduction 32 5W rear floor pan could be made to work nicely in your coupe.

30. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Ok, I get it now. Thats great too because the I have an original TRUNK lid that I bought from Harms way a while back. Good to know. I prefer a trunk car anyway. Thanks for the info Randy!