Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SOFT TOP REDO VINYL

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spillaneswillys, Jun 24, 2018.

1. I am taking the roof insert out of my 34 Dodge sedan to make new bows as it has a big sag. While I have it off I want to take off the vinyl and put something between the vinyl and the chicken wire. Any suggestions besides foam? By the way the first ride my wife and I took we were engulfed in deteriorated foam. Eh live and learn.

2. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

On my Model T coupe I went to fabric store and bought some fleece. It was very inexpensive so I could double up the thickness. I believe that 2 layers ended up about 1/4" thick. I put the vinyl over that and it looks great. It should last a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

OEM of the era consisted of wooden frames covered with fine mesh chicken wire which was then covered with cotton padding and then covered by muslin cloth. Once the top was evened out and smooth, it was then covered with black vinyl.
    Measure your insert and add another 6" all around to ensure you have sufficient material, both sides and front to back.
    Plenty of suppliers out there; Le Barron Bonney, Hampton Coach, Macs and the like.
    Here's a recent Tech week thread albeit it, on a Model 'A'

Ned Ludd likes this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Furniture upholsters these days use a padding made from felted fabric wastes. Its colour comes from the fabric wastes recycled but it always seems to come out a sort of dark greyish pink which suggests vomit after too much red wine. The softer kind of carpet underfelt is similar. It's probably messier than the proper padding but it won't break down the way a lot of plastic foams will.

6. 41fastback

41fastback

7. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

My model A dvds show indoor outdoor carpet.

8. dwollam

dwollam

I ended up with a giant roll of sweat shirt material. I use 2 layers of that and it works perfect. I've used it on several cars with great results. Only drawback is the material is pink! Can't see it once installed so no biggie!

Dave

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I used polyester batting for a slightly "poofy" look. I had cotton batting I was going to use, but even with the wire and muslin, the bows would have shown through (ever so slightly). Layers were.....
    Chicken wire
    heavy muslin
    batting
    vinyl