Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pulling the trigger...aka..gotta have it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop40, Jun 10, 2018.

1. The older I get the more I appreciate cars like this,that will make a nice driver with lots of style. HRP

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Us vs. the Marines???" "I think you meant U.S. vs, the Marines."
    But...IF you were a member of the "Pumphouse Gang", surfing the friendly waves of the Pacific thereabouts, you may have locked horns with some Marines on the beaches of Camp Pendleton! :D ...ergo, "us vs. the Marines"...

chryslerfan55, czuch and jnaki like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Perfect candidate for a 'Crawl-Thru' after free admission to the Drive-In movies!
    Seriously, though...the condition of this little 3 window is amazing.
    Steering wheel, DASH, (!) and body, grille and both rare taillights? Man, this car's tasty.
    I can imagine it in paint, really clean finish, but with some nice wide steelies and that 'husky' street racer look. Nothing 'gaudy', just...subtle. 340 and 727 Torqueflite. Cheap.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey AM,
    It was literally (British version litral-ly), "us (SURFERS) versus the Marines on the Northern Camp Pendleton grounds. Those battles were epic and have been documented everywhere. Everyone has a story or two. We thought it was secret until people began to get the idea that you can hide from the Marine Patrols in that jungle.

Some guys just drove their cars right into the bushes and threw some branches on top. (not too smart...) They usually got vandalized by the Marines or towed to the Provost Marshal's office grounds in Oceanside. It is now, Trestles Beach in the California State Park system. (and crowded from 6 am until dark...)

Jnaki
    Back then, the 51 Plymouth Coupe was perfect for hiding and not being recognized as people walked by or the Marine Patrols drove by. It was a true camouflaged vehicle. It is/was very roomy for a 2 door coupe.

We were very lucky as that Plymouth Coupe and the succession of vintage VW Vans never got broken into or vandalized. Hiding well, was an ounce of prevention and well worth the time it took to do the work. We did not get caught surfing or on the beach, either. Lucky us...!

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  5. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Congrats, that car seems to be in awesome shape. Wish I could of started with something so solid.
    <<<<<<< I too, like big butts I can not lie;)

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey AM,
    Not to take away from the Plymouth Coupe, but, you referenced the Pumphouse Gang. That era was a couple of years after our 60-64 run ins with the Northern Camp Pendleton Marines. They had their own stories as told by author, Tom Wolfe. The pumphouse reference was from various areas of coastal So Cal. The history of the era in each locale was different as we all moved around and got acclimated to the environment. La Jolla/San Diego vs. Orange County vs. LA County, etc.

We were the low key, quiet surfers not wanting acclaim to anything other than getting some good waves, food, and cool surf trips. At the time, nothing else mattered. We had hot rods, modified wagons, coupes and sedans, but that was the other side of the So Cal lifestyle.

Jnaki
    The primer Plymouth is still cool and ours was a version of that coupe.

from Tom Wolfe chronicles:

“Southern California, I found, was a veritable paradise of statuspheres,” he wrote in 1968. Beyond the customizers and drag racers, there were surfers, cruisers, teenyboppers, beboppers, strippers, bikers, beats, heads, and, of course, hippies. Each sphere started off self-contained but increasingly encroached on, and influenced, the wider world."

"Wolfe spent roughly a month in 1965 observing the life of the group at WindanSea beach in La Jolla. He called them the Pump House Gang because they congregated around the salmon-pink La Jolla Water System pump house at the end of Nautilus Street. Tourists and older people, called “black panthers” because of the black shoes they inevitably wore, were verboten on the WindanSea Beach. The Pump House kids maintained territorial rights by heaving water balloons on the intruders."

chryslerfan55, Budget36 and czuch like this.
  7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , had a 51 a couple of years back... i prefer the 49 , 50...she has curves alright...

8. I love 'em! I want one. My buddy has a 49 with a 454/400 turbo. It's super low and pro streeted. Was in Rodder's Digest ....gray primer with the jambs done in pink for his wife.....3 megaphones under the back.
    I like the 49's skinnier rear fenders, ribbed bumpers etc.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

10. NO!!! DON"T !!!

chop job, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Appreciate the photoshop..can you color it crazy purple...thanks

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a buddy a bit older than me that had one in the 60's that he turned the trunk and area behind the seat into a bed. I think that went away after he tried to get another guy's sister in the back and she went straight to big brother on it. We didn't see too much of him until the bruises went away and the bed was gone when I looked in the car a couple of weeks later.
    There was another one in town that belonged to a lady in her 80's that put groceries in just about every week she had had it since it rolled off the dealers lot, nice car but it was getting a few dings as her driving ability diminished. You can make a Costco run with that car and have room left over though.

13. A baby hemi and an automatic go crusin

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The worst kind of buyers remorse, is the remorse of not buying it.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

;)

[​IMG]

16. Is this "Crazy"enough???

purple.jpg

17. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Cool car. Don't see many of these around cali. Looks like a great start .

18. How about a removable hard top.
    Chopped of course.

19. I'm sorry..I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm getting into the style of this car....Has all sorts of petnetial

top.jpg

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  20. You guys DO know it's a DODGE, right?

21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

like the plum crazy chop...

22. mkebaird

mkebaird

Those cars drive like a dream, the Fluid Drive is cool.

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Body is pretty nice...some rust..I have a lot of experience with these cars..I think I'll do a frame swap this time with running drivetrain..got something figured out..

24. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I really like these coupes and they are pretty inexpensive...compared to some makes...I'm interested in buying another one...as a matter of a fact..I did just that...this one a 5 window...no rust..garaged the last 50 years... image.jpg

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photoshop request....chopped , shorten the quarter window 3 inches.....thanks in advance...

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

At first I found that style FUGLY however it's grown on me, I suppose you could call that style unique.:p
    Cody WALLS is building a 47, look there for inspiration?

28. chop.jpg

joeyesmen likes this.
  29. There used to be a three-window like that here locally that had an Olds Toronado drive in the back of it. Even had a clear panel in the deck so you could see it. Seems like he put a DeSoto nose on it and called it De Toro.

30. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey hey rustynewyorker , nice thing about em is parts are available , Toronado swap with corvette trailing arms? I think if I remember correctly ...

OahuEli likes this.