Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick change interchangeability

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Jan 14, 2018.

1. I searched and found nothing. I have found a good deal on a Frankland aluminum quick change center section. He still has side bells available (and I can use a 9" or GN axle tube if I can find front hubs to go wide 5) but I could not find a differential listed on his website that wasnt a spool. Will the Winters/Halibrand/Banjo parts interchange?

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check ebay for quick change differentials. I like anything with a helical gear system like a winters track or true track or something like that. They go for about 300 used. Most parts interchange between Winters, Frankland, Halibrand. Not all, but most.

Keep hitting the search for quick change info, there is a ton of it on here. Like this:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/quick-change-quickchange.951136/

Good luck, -Abone.

3. Check out DPI Black Gold Differential goes in a champ just fine after a little mod to case and differential, Speedway Engineering in Sylmar Ca did mine.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. The oval track Q.C's rear is based on the 3/4 Timken rear used in Ford and Stude trucks. I think until you get into the super modern Q.C.'s (Tiger, Bulldog) there is a lot of interchangeability. This Big Q.C. is known as a Champ or 10 Spline

The Ford car banjo Quick Change (V8 or 6 Spline)

10 spline spur gears
    [​IMG]

6 spline spur gears
    [​IMG]

Note size Champ vs V8

My Champ 10 spline
    [​IMG]

V8 6 spline
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

stillrunners likes this.
  6. So theoretically I could maybe use a set of early trumpets? It's an 11 bolt Frankland, pinion is fried. All I'd bet getting is the center case and rear cover.

7. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have used a black gold and early Ford diffs in my franklands. You can use small Ford tubes with adapters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. Any idea where I can get the adaptors?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I have a TrueTrac, or the functional equivalent in every vehicle that I own, that has two drive wheels.

I am currently putting together a Winters non-quickchange, with a GoldTrack.

Gear driven, torque biasing limited slip differentials are the best thing for the street. No funky behavior, smooth operation, no special additives, nothing to wear out (except the gears, but that will be your grandkid's problem).

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy that I mentioned in post #4 should be able to answer that. I am sure he will be around at some point.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Always like seeing photos of those non quickies, first one I ever saw was on one of Posies cars.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, there are not too many out there in the wild. Everything interchanges with the regular 10" (in my case) quickchange, except the pinion, since it needs a way to bolt on a yoke.

Mine is going in a show rod that I am building, that might not be welcomed here. I chose it because it is one of only a handful of differentials that can do a specific thing that I need.

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Had a little time off today for my grand daughters 13th birthday party.

You've been getting good information here.

As Gimpy said, most parts are interchangeable between Frankland and Winters. The Trac differentials are my favorite. They are the easiest to narrow and can be cut enough to use the Frankand or Winters center section with the adapter side plates that Halibrand made and that I have duplicated.
    The thread below my signature explains how this is done and shows the side plates and differentials.

Be aware that Winters is the only one currently making this style differential. In the past they were made by several companies, Stock Car Products, DPI (Black and Gold Tracks), Quick Change Exchange (Frank Loverock) along with Winters. They are very tough and I have only seen a few that needed repair but the parts between manufactures do not interchange. So, if buying used be sure the seller will accept returns if you open it up and find problems.

I am a dealer for Winters so I can help you with pieces you may need. Please use a private conversation for business transactions.

Everything else should be posted here for everyone to learn from.

stillrunners and gimpyshotrods like this.
  14. Gear head I am viewing this on phone via tapatalk and as such I don't see signatures. Mind linking the thread?

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

all I know is there are 10 bolt & 11 bolt . they are different ........

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And 12.

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Gimpy,
    Give 'em a little more info.
    There are two basic sizes that we deal with, the 10 bolt (V8 size) and the 3/4 ton which came in 11 and 12 bolt versions.
    There are variations of each. There are many common parts in either size but number of bolts is only one determining factor.
    I've got to finish the book.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If just give it all out, how are they gonna learn?

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you on the 12 bolt . when looking for parts for my 10 bolt , all I could find were 11 bolt

21. By not dropping thousands on shit that won't work?

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes get ass in gear an finish book!!If you have a list for purchase put me on it!!

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me down for one, and I'll cover George Barnes' copy, too.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I built the 10 bolt to use model a parts . daily driver not a race car

studebakerjoe likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GearheadsQCE has them. PM him for business dealings.