Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sbf in model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Logan LeMaster, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Is there a problem with the pump Snow White uses??

Logan LeMaster likes this.
  2. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

think he is meaning to run stock one since they are available through most auto part dealer were snow white if you brake down on a trip there's only one place that supply's them. not so much how they perform.

3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I had considered the Snow White piece for the '31, but how readily available will Opel water pumps be in the future? Went with the FMSS short pump

4. Okay, educate me on that one. I'm not familiar with it.

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Moving the firewall back will give you the necessary room for mechanical fan , but in order to put the fan where it should be ( upper part of the Radiator ) I had to go with an electric fan IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0476.JPG

6. That looks like a real beauty! Firewall looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dave Mc likes this.
  7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Snow White makes a housing and uses a 1.9 Opel water pump. The overall length is shorter than a factory pump, but as I said, how long will 30-40 year old Opel water pumps be serviced? My family had Opels in the '70's and it wasn't fun getting parts THEN.

8. Yep, I understand the Opel angle. You mentioned "FMSS short pump" earlier though. I was curious as to what that is?

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Ford Motorsport makes a short water pump for the 5.0l. About 2" shorter than stock as I recall.

10. Gotcha, thanks!

11. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

My brother stuffed one in his A sedan. He put a chebby tranny on it. 001.JPG

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Saw this at a rod run yesterday and shot some pics to post here, hope they're helpful.
    IMG_0819.jpg IMG_0820.jpg
    Note, don't run your pitman arm,drag link like this, it will induce a lot of bump steer.
    IMG_0821.jpg IMG_0822.jpg

13. The Ford Motorsports 'short' pump (sourced from the late-model Explorer) does save a couple of inches, but it's a reverse rotation pump and you have to run a serpentine belt, so no 'traditional' v-belt. The serpentine belt is really hard to package in a narrow compartment. It also has the inlet on the drivers side.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

42 years ago my first hot rod was a 289-powered '30 Model A coupe. Recessed firewall took care of the length issue.

15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

No, the M-8501-E351 is standard rotation and works with v-belt systems

16. Thanks so much for all the info. I'm putting together a parts list for the engine and reading as many build threads as I can looking at firewall mods.

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Ford motor sports also makes a standard rotation available from ford. The installation on a 289 302 has a few issues like oil filter and motor sports makes a 90 degree adapter to solve that issue. I am not a fan of any electric fans for the reason of amperage draw and not a pretty look . By using the short water pump and street and performance pullies it will shorten you up by almost 3 inches. Is it tight Yes but it's even cooler to see it all shoehorned into what is Not Suppose to fit

18. I am dead set on a regular fan, I just like the look.

19. That pump has it's issues too... You're looking at all 'custom' parts (pump AND pulleys) so buying a replacement on the road will be a no-go. Not cheap either; about $300 for the bare minimum, and more if you buy the alternator bracket.

You also can't run a mechanical fuel pump with either of the Ford shorty pumps as the timing cover needed has no provision for the pump.

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

All true to an extent, but when you're building a car you do what ya gotta do.

21. BigKel

BigKel

Here is what I came up with, short fms water pump ( spendy ) and flipped firewall. Headers were hard to find and some crafty steering linkage. [​IMG] [[/ATTACH] DSCN0236.JPG DSCN0236.JPG DSCN0456.JPG DSCN0457.JPG DSCN0458.JPG

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

That's why I stayed away from the FMS and Snow White pumps. Got mine down to 29*1/2" from back of block to tip of fan with easy to find parts, nothing special. Don't think you will get any shorter without high dollar and/or aftermarket parts. I can run stock type pulleys, fuel pump and a cheaper Chevy radiator with my setup. Also get parts at the corner parts store.
    SPark

23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

As far as a alternator bracket we use a early bronco 1968-1974 cast iron smog and alt bracket. It goes on the drivers side and I swap out the pump for alt. This goes down under the water and cut off the top cast iron bracket. It really looks good and Strong and out of sight.
    If your going to use headers I like the Ford Motor sports headers. This is for a few reasons and one is where the exhaust dump is and in the back by the firewall and hugs the block tighter so you can run a steering shaft straight . The only u-joint you'll need will be at the steering box . I used a vega box just under the biscuit motor mount so you don't see the steering box just the shaft.. I made my own motor mounts and engine mounts but biscuit mounts are cheap and all over the place . As far as the engine mount I believe it was a 2 7/16 or 9/16 --14 bolts that go into the motor and made a simple bar stock 8 inches long with the 2 holes. And made a simple triangle 3/8 stock that goes to engine and frame biscuit . I will look and see if I have a strange laying around I made a few for buddies. The 90 degree oil filter adapter will clear front crossmember and vega box, it's tight but looks nice when done and thought out.

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

25. waid786

waid786
    from Indiana

Very old thread. What headers are these and did you end up using it?

Thanks

302rt.jpg

loudbang and 2Blue2 like this.
  26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have one of those 5.0 Exploders, a '97. They did a lot of work making it fit in that very short engine compartment, and making it as easy as possible to work on. I had to replace the EGR valve, which is way back against the firewall, looks almost impossible, but as you go about it, juuust enough room to get your hand in there. Just finishing up a radiator swap, and much easier than expected- one can pull the shroud loose, lay it back over the fan, and the radiator comes straight up and out- despite what the many youtube videos claim lol. The front end is pretty short compared to the old stuff

loudbang likes this.
  27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

6B427A57-BAEC-43F4-ACE9-8800432C0847.jpeg Here’s mine .

loudbang likes this.
  28. Um, that's not a Model A ;)

29. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

updated from 73 302 to 87 5.0 . thicker timing chain and cover required newer shortie water pump from Ford Performance ,which runs clockwise with the crank , also running a C4 trans. 87 engine requires 50 oz external balance flex plate , getting the right flex plate took some shopping , went back to points condenser distributor so had to change dist. gear from cast iron to steel gear to mate up with billet steel cam.
    1987Fiveoh.jpg 5.0 Nov21.jpg

loudbang likes this.