Register now to get rid of these ads!

do any of you San Diego guys know John Pickle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36-3window, Jul 24, 2007.

1. he was an artist and car builder somewhere in your area in the 70's..is he still around?

2. Yep - saw him at GoodGuys Del Mar this past April...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TomH

TomH

Didn't he own the R&C Dream Truck at one time??

4. John is here in Ramona, CA and still building some of the nicest rods around...he owns a business called "The Toy Store" and he still puts out some great art too of which I have had the privilige of screenprinting alot of it on tee shirts...he is starting to sell prints of his artwork as well...an all around easy going and super talented guy and I am lucky enough to call him a friend and to be able to see his talent in action...John Pickle along with the extraordinary pinstriper Lyle Fisk give Ramona a great one-two punch in hot rodding history along many others in our dusty little town...

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Waitaminnit! Who did all those airbrush lowriders and bombs that I admired so much?

Different feller I take it....

6. that's good to know he is around and doing well. i met him in La Mesa? i believe sometime in the late 70's..he was driving a model A roadster. if i recall correctly he also had a chevy sedan delivery? i just stumbled into a couple pictures i had taken back then and was curious...thanks for the info

7. He still has the roadster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. let's acknowledge Doug Hood's deuce pickup also seen in those pix...that thing was a true barn find and has a history that goes way back...a couple of books (not magazines) even show it in front of Roth's shop way back in the day...

9. Yeah, here's what Doug's truck looked like when I first saw it 5 years ago at the Mooneyes Xmas Party...

[​IMG]

...and here's that picture of it in front of Roth's shop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. JimSibley

JimSibley

Pickle is one hell of a guy. He did a pic of my car for me a few years back. He has a ton of talent and even more stories.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Jim...post a pic of Pickle's artwork if ya can and if ya still have it

12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Heres the car, and the pic he did of it for the 2000 streak car show.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Oldschoolhotrods

Oldschoolhotrods
    from san diego

memories.....................

JimSibley likes this.
  14. RIP, John Pickle.
    The power of the Hamb has Lead me here, in my search for a poster I had as a teenager in the early 80s.

It was of a candy red 39 Chevy Bomba, possibly a Sedan Delivery, and it was on a bright green backdrop.

It would be awesome to find it, and very cool if it was Johns art, him being a hot rodder and all.

Anyone recognise the poster in question?

Thanks with respect, Jeff.

15. travisdahl

travisdahl

16. travisdahl

travisdahl

17. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

That was Mike who did the bomb art work

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. beck1932

beck1932

Hi I was a good friend of John Pickle. Did you know him ?I met him in 1988 when i visited the usa
    One of the nicest guys i have ever met. i was sad to hear he past away he took me and my buddies under his arm and took us every where i will always be indebted to his kind heartedness. I would love to get in contact with his club the Over The Hill Gang as i have HD video of there club house and members great nostalgia..ps please reply

19. phelan9251

phelan9251

Whatever happened to that roadster? It was a Magoo if i recall.