Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring kit, Hudson Commodore

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by UndertakerfromDK, Aug 1, 2017.

1. UndertakerfromDK

UndertakerfromDK
    from Denmark

Hi there!
    Kim from Denmark here. I have just bought the car of my dreams - a 1949 Hudson Commodore 6 Sedan. All in all it's a very fine car, but there seems to be a slight problem with the wirings. Like most other old cars, the insulation on the wires are a bit fragile and i'm afraid, that maybe some day, the car will catch fire, due to the poor wires.
    Does any one of you know or have some experience on how and where to buy, meybe a complete set of wiring or wires for a diy-job?

Thanks in advance

Kim

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. There's multiple choices, depending on the degree of originality the car retains/you desire, budget, and degree of difficulty to install.

If the car is dead stock and you want to keep it that way, try these guys.... http://www.riwire.com/
    They offer everything from individual pieces to complete, front-to-rear harness kits in the OEM colors/wire type with OEM type connectors for your Hudson; pretty much a 'remove-and-replace'. Don't expect it to be cheap...

A 'generic' harness kit. A lot less money, but most of these are designed to use newer components (switches, modern fuses, alternators, etc) so adapting it to your older Hudson will require some electrical knowledge and skill. Make sure you get a harness kit rated for 6 volts. Most are designed for 12 volt use and will be too light for the lower voltage. If you're substantially altering the car and/or upgrading to 12 volts, this will be a much cheaper alternative compared to a full reproduction harness. Lots of suppliers here; Rebel, American Autowire, and Rod Francis to name a few that members here have spoken well of.

Do you need a full harness? Or just some places repaired? Many times the wire harnesses on these will be fine in some places, with the wire that was exposed to gas/oil/heat being the only bad places. RI wire sells partial harnesses, or you could repair the bad bits yourself. While many companies sell 'specialty' auto wire, it's not required; wire is wire by and large. A quality, gas-and-oil-resistant 90C temp rated stranded building wire in equal or larger size compared to OEM will be entirely adequate to repair your harness, even if it doesn't look 'original'. Being in Denmark (and not knowing if you have any local old car suppliers), this may be the cheapest path to repair by using locally-available bits and avoiding big import costs.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

ask on the HET forums
    https://forum.hetclub.org/discussions

Nice lot and I know they will point you in the right direction. Have seen them talk of wiring kits made for steep down hudsons many times.

5. The ri.wire link seems to be a good place if you want to keep it original. Every OTC general wiring kit I know of is for 12 volts which may make the car more reliable if that's the way you want to go. I put a Kwik Wire 14-circuit harness in my Ford and it went very well.

6. BJR

BJR

If you are keeping it original Y&Z wiring can make an original harness for you. They have original patterns and if not can make one for your original. Years ago they make one for my 1932 Hupmobile from my very warn original. It fit perfectly.

7. slim39

slim39
    from pa

There is a place in road island usa that sells wiring harness for hudsons

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas