Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Finland...not really a hot rod or custom but certainly a jalopy

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by KajS, Jul 7, 2017.

1. KajS

KajS

Hello rodders and custom-folks. I have been following the H.A.M.B for some years and felt the need for beeing a member in Your magnificent community.

Living in Finland means the "hotrodding " is a bit different from he scene in The U.S.A. So I am not introducing my rides here, they are far too new.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. KajS

KajS

After introducing myself I thought it needed some claryfying, why I am trying to join the H.A.M.B.

For three years ago I started looking for an American made pickup truck from 1950's to 1970's. I came across some very interesting vehicles in Finland and Sweden, even checked the Craigslist for some 1960's Dodges. But as it often happens, those magnificent objects were beyond my budget. So, I took an other approach. After driving several years those emission-correct computer controlled fuel-injected cars I decided everything (American) goes as long as it is "back to the basics"; no computers, no sensors, no fuel-injection nozzles.

Then I found this '86 Dodge Ram Van (Yes, definitely no rod). The original 318 engine was swapped for a Slant Six and the transmission is a 3-speed Torqueflite from 1971 (from Dart, Valiant or Barracuda, no truckversion). In last three years time I have regained the skills of adjusting a carburetor, ignition and drum brakes. Including many other overhauling tasks in order to get this machine reliable and roadworthy.

So, after reading this topic:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/i-know-im-nuts.1064488/

I found out that there are vehicle-oriented-soul-mates out there.

After reading this article:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=34803

I knew I was on the right track. Next goal is to find the truck as it was in the beginning.

But the most important kick coming over here was my sons encouragement. He said Jalopyjournal is the site for You. My son is the real car enthusiast in our family. Without him my projects could not be possible.

3. Hello and Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Enjoy your ride...

4. Welcome from the U.S. of A. Have fun with your pickup. I often thought if I lived in a country, without the mass vintage tin supply as we have, what I would do. The {Speedway Motors Speed shop} has some very cheap kits. You could build a Rod one piece at a time. With the light weight glass body , shipping should't be a big problem. It may have to be a long term project. But mine always are. lol The problem may be with your registration in Finland. Need to check on that first. I think that everyone needs a {HOT ROD} lol Enjoy your HAMB time. Ron...

5. mista

mista
    from Finland

6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome from Ct., US.A. !