Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question about Chevy Intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Steffen Jobst, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Can anyone tell me something about this intake:
    >>>>>>

???

2. Contact squirrel, He will know. I've seen them around but don't know much about them.

3. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

"squirrel" ???

Stogy likes this.
  4. He's a member on here.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

the winters stamp means it was made for the vette.so i was told.price looks good.i sold one for 250 8 years ago

henryj1951 likes this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

That looks exactly like a power pack intake. Those were all cast iron of course but the casting on that looks to be the same

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

henryj1951 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  7. aaggie

aaggie

I don't think there is any specific performance advantage over the cast iron version, maybe a ten pound weight saving. The Winters foundry was hired by GM to do the short run or specialty castings and their trademark is cast into the part. It meant something back in the day but there is so much quality aftermarket stuff available now that the price only makes sense if you are doing a museum restoration.

8. The Winters stamp means it was made at the Winters foundry in Ohio. They made stuff for GM, Holley, Chrysler etc.

The add states that the numbers have been removed so I'm thinking the numbers correct restoration is out the window and that being said the asking price is high at least for me any way.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Winters Foundry 'snowflake' was not Corvette only. All Chevy aluminum intakes of the era were cast by Winters Foundry in Canton Ohio and the snowflake was their TM.
    As Aaggie suggests, the resto crowd swarm for 'em. Better, or as good are out there. They are period correct however and work well as designed.
    edit, forgot to add a link for ya:
    http://outintheshop.com/faq/casting/intake_man.html

10. Without a casting number, it's just another intake. If there was a casting number AND it pointed to a specific desirable engine (i.e. 327 ci - 340-375 hp), THEN you would have something!!

11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

12. Larry T

Larry T

Looks like a standard 3783244 250hp/327 cu. in. intake, except in aluminum instead of cast iron. Maybe the word "boat" in the description means something. Looks like a standard Rochester 4bbl fits, not an AFB.
    But you have to take into account that I haven't had enough coffee to be posting yet.

henryj1951, wraymen and Steffen Jobst like this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion

FWIW the date is under the tin splash pan on those. Looks like the original rivets have been replaced with screws. Could try to contact the seller and ask him to remove the pan for a date check, if you're concerned.
    Ships from West Salem Ohio, home of famed Dragway 42. Seller lists over 800 items, none at close-out prices that I can tell. Casting # ground off, no-mas for the restorers. Still a good intake for a hotrod.

14. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Yes.

Sorry, I'm new here. I can not know everybody.

What would be a correct price for this one?

Thanks

Done. Nice car.

What would be a correct price for this one?

Here it is 5 p.m. Coffee is gone.

What means: FWIW?
    Thank you, I will contact him myself.

15. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

One thing I don't understand: What could be the reason to remove the numbers?

16. squirrel

squirrel

there are some weird things on that intake....

[​IMG]

I don't know what the extra holes by the thermostat are for, or the fittings on the intake runners. If someone could shed some light, I'd like to be educated.

3823481 is the casting number on a similar one I found on google.

googling reveals that it might have been a military application, from a 283 in a personnel carrier.

here is a pic of one that is intact with the number

intake.JPG

17. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I found this >>>>
    " fittings on the intake runners"
    For anything vacuum operated?

Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-22 um 17.14.33.png

18. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

A person who was really good on gm intakes told me these were used on Army APC's and some boats. I have seen a few of these at swap meets for sale. That's all I know.

19. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

20. squirrel

squirrel

The manifold has 4 vacuum fittings on the runners, that is not a normal way to connect vacuum accessories...I wonder what they were originally for?

A swamp buggy is a fan propelled boat, right?

21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

FWIW= For What Its Worth
    APC= Armored Personnel Carrier

22. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's what it looks like to me too. Its not early Corvette, marine seems more likely. Its getting into the bottom end of the price range you would expect for a 3795397 340hp intake, that would be the way I would go, assuming I wanted a factory chevy aluminum intake.
    Ebay "Buy it now" pricing has gone completely off the rails, pretty much ANY "Buy it now" it just trolling for suckers that don't know any better. Watch close, most of that stuff sits on there for a year or more.

wraymen and Steffen Jobst like this.
  24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

A Swamp Buggy was a racing machine that raced two at a time in kind of a figure 8 course, and the water was at different depths

They were rear engine with tall paddle type tires on the rear and very narrow one's on the front

They used to show them on ABC wild World of Sports from Florida were they lots of swamp land to race on and in

DND

25. harley rider

harley rider

stolen!

henryj1951 and czuch like this.
  26. Numbers were not serial numbers. There were thousands of intakes with the SAME casting number. Not a very good identifier, unless it was extremely rare.

27. Some did it for a cleaner look. Since the other numbers were left alone I would say it was done to hide the fact that it came from a boat or military application (as others have said). I am not saying that is what the seller did. It was probably done a while ago to push up the price. Some GM intakes command big money and stuff like this turns up every now and then.
    I would not know what it is worth or what your plan is but decent sbc intakes can be found for under a $100 if you look hard enough (over hear any way).

henryj1951 likes this.
  28. Agreed. Another type of swamp buggy is a home made, large wheeled and lifted vehicle for hunting and rec. use in the everglades. Kind of like a doodlebug on steroids.

henryj1951 likes this.
  29. tractorguy

tractorguy

I have what looks to be the exactly same manifold. Have had it on the shelf as a swap meet purchase for last 15 yrs. Mine does have the casting numbers 3823481 on the top of one of the intake runners. Any research I attempted kept going to a dead end as it did not show in any books. Based on the extra boss with the studs by the thermostat housing, I am assuming it was a military and/or boat manifold.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, my guess is, most of you have seen the modern stuff that was on TV a few years back, all that crazy-ass stuff with the 565 ci Reher & Morrison BB chevys and stuff, but how many have seen the honest to god, period-correct HAMB friendly versions?:D From Sept. '61 Car Life. These will get nice and big if you click on them.
    241.jpg 242.jpg 244.jpg 245.jpg