Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What hubcaps were on the 2nd version of the Junior Conway Ford?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hotrod54chevy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I've been reading Kustomrama and all over the net and I can't seem to find what kind of caps were on this version of the car. Thanks![​IMG]

2. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Note: the '53-'54 Olds cap has a large, ribbed center, as can be seen (without the blades) in this very early picture of Junior's car.

[​IMG]

Perhaps the pictured unit started with a '56?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    hotrod54chevy likes this.

4. You need to dig up a January 1958 copy of Motor Life. You can see some of the pieces of the puzzle in the picture...

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and hotrod54chevy like this.
  5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I have that issue, Big A, but there's a big pile if parts there, and I didn't know what was what. Thanks!

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think you're correct.

7. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

The caps are 1956 Olds deluxe caps with a large aftermarket bullet and 1956-57 Continental blades ground to fit. I built a set for my Jr .Conway coupe that I am building. The Continental blades are VERY hard to come by, it took me 2 years to find them. The guys that restore those car dont want want the parts used on anything but Continentals! The Olds caps dont fit the Ford wheels, not enough off set, I used a aftermarket steel wheel. Back in the day they my have used Plymouth wheels but I am not sure.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. Those blades don't "look" too complicated. If you were going for the look and not trying to build a perfect clone, why not just make some? I really don't know what they actually look like or how they mount.

I ran '54-'55 Olds caps on my '49 Ford with no problems, and these look like what Junior had early on (with an aftermarket bullet)...

[​IMG]

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

Greg (atomic kustom), is "THE MAN" on the first set of caps on Jr's car. I'm very glad I didn't have to recreate them.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  10. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

I know that Plymouth wheels And Ford wheels are the same bolt pattern. Does anyone know if the offset is the same or different as the '56 Olds deluxe caps do not fit the 1949-51 rims?