Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miracle Makeover - A Road to Revival

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gaters, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Welcome aboard! Cool story, keep us poted on progress please.

Craig

2. Word! I'll definitely be lurkin'!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. That is just AWESOME,
    It's even better than the elusive "barnfind" you keep hearing about.
    All that history, man it's a good thing that you decided to just fix her up instead of restoring
    Too many original historic cars have been f***ed up by over-restoring, even the lousy welding is a testimony of how things were realy done in those days, no megabucks cratemotors then, or billet suspension parts, and the fourbanger is great with all the period tuning parts.
    Clean it, oil it, run it !!!!(and fix the brakes)
    You are one lucky guy !

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It is great to see a story like this! My uncle Jim Westerscove grew up in Hollydale/So.Gate & was a Gater as well! Don't know if they were in @ the same time? He hung out @ Regg Schemmer's shop who was the local Hot Rod hero=(1st cover car on Hot Rod Mag).
    I was fortunate enough to be interested in Earky Lakes style rods and bought a survivor=(unknowingly @ the time) of Clem Waske-29 AV8 roadster @265b with a highly modified 40 dash as well as 4" out of the cowl,filled rear wheel wells and a rolled rear pan all on a 32 chassis. It ran 109mph and was part of the So Cal Rdstr Club. It was for sale @ the May 47 meet for like $900.00 big ones! Mine is a body only now, but will someday go back to being an eye catching lakes ride.
    Would love to see it in person sometime.
    Good luck with the build.

5. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

SHIT!!! :D:D:D

Congrats man.
    This is an amazingly cool car.
    You are a lucky man if you got the decease we others here have. ...looks like you do.
    What several others have said. fix it up but don't restore it.
    Keep the patina, it's wonderfull.

.....given to you by your dad......known line of history back to post war El Mirage racing.....can you believe that.

Keep us posted...please

:):):) Happy for ya. Cant take the grin of my face. :):):)

Paul

6. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

this is a dream come true !!!!

please don't change a thing (except for the brakes) this car is just perfect !!!

Thank you for chairing the details , please keep us posted !

7. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

great post . you two need to sit down in front of a video camera and record all the story`s ! for the future generations . while you still can !

8. Gaters

Gaters

Kev,

Sent you a PM. Would like to talk. I was checking out your website and I didn't put the Cylcone name together until I visited your site. According to my Pop, Cook worked on my 4-banger in the late 40's.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  9. Gaters

Gaters

10. rat seeker

rat seeker

I dont know how I missed this post earlier, great story keep us posted

11. now THAT's what Im talkin about !! A rare treasure indeed...gaurd it with your life man !!

Thanx for sharing !!

Rat

12. myke

myke
    from SoCal

That's really cool. Good luck with it.

13. 32Rules

32Rules

Wow Great story.
    Just imagining my self in that car doing 115 mph.
    Holy cow!!
    btw how many miles does it take to stop from 115 mph with just rear mechanicals!!!

Makes my palms sweaty!!!

Best read in a long while!!!

14. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I cannot believe that this thread is 8 years old.

Sending it back to the top of everyone to enjoy again.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  16. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes i agree,love to see any progress

17. What a great: Story. Car. Honor to your dad.
    One of the best ever on the HAMB.
    Please keep the posts coming.

18. Gaters

Gaters

Hey fellas,

Great to see the continued interest in my roadster. I appreciate all the responses. I haven't been on the HAMB in a while but do peek in once in a while. I really enjoy this forum.

As far as an update. My dad passed away in Feb 2011 and it took a bit of a toll on my urgency to keep up with the roadster. I had a difficult time keeping it running and took it to a few places for help but it just kept soaking me for money with no positive end result.

Lots of personal stuff happened the next few years, lost my job, divorce, selling the home, moving, job change, a move to El Paso, TX, blah, blah, blah. Whoa is me! Lol!

The roadster spent time stored at a good friends, one I met here on the HAMB in fact. Frank was gracious enough to let me park it in his garage for a stint before I moved it to an underground parking storage unit, which I could barely squeeze through the double doors. After a couple of attempts at getting the ol guy running I had to let him sit.

Today, I am in California packing up my daughter for her move to AZ. The roadster stayed in CA at her apartment garage since my move to TX. On Sunday I'll be hauling the ol Pyle Special home to Texas with the hopes of getting a fresh poke at getting it back on the road.

I can't say for sure what's going to happen but I'm taking time to work on it again. I hope to follow up with a more interesting story about the roadster soon.

Thanks all,

Chris

elgringo71 likes this.
  19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the update Chris.

Glad to see the roadster is going with you this time, and that life is working out for you too.

Enjoy getting it going again, and some day I will get to see it again.

Never been to El Paso - might be up for a road trip some time.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wow Chris,
    I had no idea this all happened.... I wish the best in your future endeavors and hope that you return one day to the lakes where mark , Yourself and I met to do a ride along the lake bed. I hope to have the #265b done by then-atleast I got most of the major body work completed, now I have to work on its chassis.
    Best of Luck to you there in Texas.

CK