Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Gambino Kustoms 4-link for the '49-54 Chevy,,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusk, Aug 17, 2007.

1. rjgideon

rjgideon

It's a Mustang tank and this thread is over two years old. I love it, though. It helped me picture my Plymouth triangulated four link.

2. Thanks guys.

Yep...16 gal Mustang tank.

Marty.......you know how this game is played, I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :D

Here's a pic from last fall with the extended quarters, the shoebox windspilts and tail lights, and flush-mounted and extended skirts,,,

[​IMG]

I'm just about finished with the rear bumper and overrider....I also peaked the hood, just need to bump out a few dings and it'll being ready for installation.

Bryan

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. Bryan,

The car looks better and better everytime you do something to it. I know you are planning on chopping it but it doesn't need it. Did you get any pics when you did the skirts? Todd

4. WCRiot

WCRiot

I'm soooo happy I searched

5. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

Weird... I just read this thread for the 1000th time this morning before I started my Gambino notch kit!

[​IMG]

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If someone asks what the difference is between a "hot rod" and a "rat rod", have them read this tech article. If after reading it, they still don't know, there's no use trying to explain any further - they'll never understand.

Great job!!

7. CHOPCHOP

CHOPCHOP

I really got to say thank you for taking the time to take these pictures, share this shit with everyone. Cause man, I would have really been lost. I have looked at these pic's as I was doing my 4 link over and over and over. It really helped me out. Thanks buddy

8. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

you can call us for advise as well were here to help

9. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sorry to bump this,I know its older than dirt,but its exactly what I needed,maybe someone else does too.....THANKS Rusk!!!!!!!

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Nice thread,the work looks top notch.Thanks

11. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

12. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

Wow, thanks alot for the great tech, I'm going to do the same to my Dodge this winter, and this will really help. Car looks great!

13. Thanks guys....glad you're finding it helpful.

Bryan

14. Mcdoogin52

Mcdoogin52

This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm about to put the same tail dragger kit on my 52. Thanks for making all the steps so clear, this is perfect!:D

15. Thank you so much for doing this techie tech thread!! I'm planning on doing the tail dragger kit on my 50 Chev in a few weeks during my vacation and you have no idea how valuable this info and pics are.

Hey Alex hope to ordering a kit off you this next week and let the cutting begin!

16. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

thanxs

17. Awesome tech! Im forsure going to use it! Whats the best way to get my hands on this kit? I see alot of HAMB members use it, looks like the way to go. Found where to get it through links but when i clicked on "tail dragger kit" it came up "no result found" am i better off just calling and ordering it that way?

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just give them a call. (408)561-5744.

Know that they are a real working shop, in case you don't get through on the first try. Alex Gambino is one of the best people you will ever meet or do business with in this industry.

19. joKinG

joKinG
    from Aurora IL

Nice pics. I will be setting up my own four link soon.

20. Damiensablowit

Damiensablowit
    from Sacramento

Really old thread but really good man. Keepin it alive! Thanks for taking the time to put so much detail into this tech. I've read it over and over and I think that even a dumbshit like me gets it. I'm tackling this project in afew weeks. And Alex, definitely hittin' you up after Viva L V for the taildragger kit. Thanks for all you're advice too man.

21. Over the past couple years, I've had a bunch of PM's and seen some threads regarding whether there's an issue with the back seat and the 4-lnk. It took me a while, but I finally got around to putting my back seat in my coupe....it just wasn't really a priority for me until now. As I suspected, there's no interference with the 4-link and the seat, but it definitely took some cutting and welding to clear the driveline tunnel. Keep that in mind if you haven't done this yet....don't just build some monster tunnel. Get the car as far down as you ever plan to have it, then install the tunnel with around .5" clearance from the driveshaft.....that should leave plenty of room at ride-height.

Another thing to think about....I know 4 doors have the seat further back (I notched one many years ago) and I suspect 2 door sedans may too...not a lot, but maybe enough to require trimming the bottom part of the seat frame for the link-bars. If you put the brackets for the top link-bars off the front of the axle-housing instead of on top (the way Gambino did it on Hoptup_Jalop's '51...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=284598), that will allow the brackets off the frame for the top bars to sit lower than the way I did mine. This should keep the interference with the seat to a minimum.

I haven't downloaded the pics of my seat frame yet, but it's fairly straightforward. And like I've told a lot of guys on here, you're cutting your frame in half, welding up all kinds of shit, and setting up a brand new suspension....the idea cutting your seat frame really shouldn't scare you off :)

Later, Bryan

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  22. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

If you put the brackets for the top link-bars off the front of the axle-housing instead of on top (the way Gambino did it on Hoptup_Jalop's '51...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=284598), that will allow the brackets off the frame for the top bars to sit lower than the way I did mine. This should keep the interference with the seat to a minimum.

I haven't downloaded the pics of my seat frame yet, but it's fairly straightforward. And like I've told a lot of guys on here, you're cutting your frame in half, welding up all kinds of shit, and setting up a brand new suspension....the idea cutting your seat frame really shouldn't scare you off :)

Later, Bryan[/QUOTE]
    the bottom line is theres so much work involved the back seats the least of yer problems weve put back seat's in 2 54's and raised the wheel wells i think theres more work in the area of the drive line tunel when it comes to the back seat the link bars are the least of your worry

thanxs brian

23. tatstommy

tatstommy

Thanks Rusk and Alex for all your posts on this, I've re-read this post a ton of times and can't wait to see some of the floor and seats pics.

Still got a long way to go on mine and the F#@k You 54 and Rusks cars and my bible for suspensions right now!!)

............. the 50's constantly tellin me to F#@k myself....ur not alone Alex. haha

24. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

super clean and clear view of the install.

25. lowelife

lowelife

Cool thanks for the update.

26. WCRiot

WCRiot

Any pictures of your rear seat installed?

27. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

PERFECT tech article! Thanks! I still got some "part issues" that I wondering about...

Is it possible to use the stock rearend (1951 Fleetline) or must I have a open driveline? I have stock engine and stock trans, that works greeat and want to keep it.

If I must change rearend what will fit best? I have never done this before, so help and advice on what parts to use and not use, would be great!!

28. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

nice tech, I'm getting ready to do the same thing real soon.

29. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

Good thread!!

30. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I realize this is an old thread, but any chance the OP can fix the links to the pics?

Bunso and Zaq like this.