Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model a banger help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer06, Jul 27, 2013.

1. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

My neighbor brought over his dads 31....they are having issues with it running at any substantiated rpms, if you get between 15 to 20 mph it starts back firing...
    he bought a new zennith carberator this spring because the old off brand that was on it split open last fall...
    im thinking something in the carb is not opening like it should....we took a few trips around the block, tried advancing the spark with the lever on the column,,,,that made it worse...gas is new, none ethanol...
    I am asking you guys first before i start randomly taring his car apart...any suggestions would be appreciated...pics attached...because i know you like pics.....this thing is awesome....:D

Attached Files:

• 31a.jpg
      31a.jpg
      File size:
      549.1 KB
      Views:
    • 31b.jpg
      31b.jpg
      File size:
      526.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Go back to square one. Get a manual. Set the timing with the pin on the timing cover. Set the points. Check the plug gap.thats all I remember. Been thirty years since I drove one with out a SBC.

3. Ask the guys on the Fordbarn they will help you get it purring.

4. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Started with the basics....checked timing...cleaned points and cap contacts...reset points, retested....same issue...pulled gas cap...i can get it to duplicate it without driving it...keep running it at a sustained rpm and eventually it starts to stud-der and pop...like the fuel supply cant keep up...like the bowl is going dry....i"m thinking the fuel line is restricted or the float is restricted and not filling up fast enough....still frickin awesome...:D

5. Greasy64

Greasy64

They cant have any restriction in the fuel line. Remove the gas valve and the lines and check 'em. Also they have 4 1/2 to 1 compression and don't have a fuel pump (gravity fed) so model As run much better with a full tank of crappy gas than a gallon of race gas.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OK, all the above plus check condenser. The market is flooded with bad condensers. #2 as you are driving turn the choke knob counterclockwise (from closed) slowly and see if it smooths out. That is enriching the mixture. Lean out will backfire, spit spudder, etc.

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

fuel filter(screen) in the on/off valve (early 31), fuel filter on the firewall

8. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Pulled the full line at the carb and had my son open the valve....gas runs right out....no issues there...pulled the carb and disassembled...cleaned everything out...found slight restriction in needle and seat...disassembled the needle and seat and ran a couple of orifice bits thru it...reassembled everything and went for a couple test drives...runs awesome....even locked up one of the wheels trying to slow down to make my corner....missed the corner and "had" to loop around a couple more blocks...this thing is awesome....:D I don't know if its completely fixed yet...might need a few more test drives....

Sent from my ADR6350 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

66fora69er likes this.
  9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

My A was painfully slow until I put a 7:1 high compression head on it. It runs with city traffic now

10. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

I have never driven one before...we only got up to about 45 mph....but it felt like flying...I've got it for a week...i think i could drive it every day...very neat little car...everyone we went by waved or gave us the thumbs up....all the other cars on the road pulled over...took half the neighbors for rides in it....very cool chance to be able to play around with this thing....

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

yeah, its funny that a Model T going 25 mph is going 'fast'.

12. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Took the owners son for a short ride tonight...loved it...ran great no more sounding like a drive by shooting...its up for sale now...directed him to the hamb and to fordbarn...it would be a fun little car to tool around in...now I need to get my truck done....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  13. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Owner came and picked it up...thing ran so much better they took it for a little cruze around town and out for dinner...the sale is off for now...printed him out instructions on adjusting the fuel and advance along with proper shifting and he enjoys driving it now...just a neat little car...:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

66fora69er likes this.
  14. Be sure to remind your neighbor that once his dad's '31 is sold it is gone FOREVER. I don't know all of the details but it is probably something that needs a lot of time and thought.

Charlie Stephens