Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anybody identify this coupe body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wldtrout, Mar 2, 2013.

1. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

Hey Guys,
    I need a little help identifying this coupe body I just picked up. Any help is appreciated. Ideas for a future build are also welcome.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. custom53

custom53

my guess is dodge or plymouth

3. 4rod

4rod

maybe keizer??

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It the one not in the back of my pickup

5. The gauge area matches a 29-31 Whippet.

6. Here is a gauge cluster from a whippet.

Attached Files:

7. You know what they say about first impressions...Pontiac. I don't know much about GM stuff but whatever it is looks pretty good. Have fun.

8. 19-c

19-c

wow I know its not a Ford but crazy how closely it resembles a Model A from the rear curve of the decklid to the body lines. Ya spose Henry was happy with them stealing his design? haha Or maybe it was the other way around! lol

9. 19-c

19-c

A lot of wood in that baby. lol

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

11. Here is a 31 Whippet.

Attached Files:

12. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

we have a winner! 29- 31 whippet coupe! I wonder if it is rare? If anybody knows about these Whippet I would appreciate any info. I love the lines, I think I better do something with this one.
    Thanks guys for the help!

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Yep, same pic and info I was looking at.

14. Thats where I got it from. ;)

15. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

16. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I have a 29 whippet turned into a roadster. My avatar is it, the only thing I can tell you is the cowl is close to a 28-29 model a in width... the rest of the body is alot different. the doors are alot longer and it has a very fat ass. I think it was more than 6" wider than an model a. I cut mine all up to make fit on a stock model a chassie. when all done people think that it is an a, untill they see the firewall and a couple other small differences. Cool body, you dont see them alot. I havent seen one like mine at a show yet. I think that is a good thing? ;)

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There is another thread on Whippets. They were made by the Willys Overland company and in their day, were Willys answer to the Model A.

Unfortunately the engines did not stand up. They were a long stroke, small bore design and were geared very low for pep and hill climbing. But driving one at over 40 MPH would burn out the motor.

This is why so few survive.

Later Barney Roos completely redesigned the motor, got it up from 48 to 61 HP, and improved engine life from less than an hour at 3400 RPM, to 200 hours at 4400 RPM.

This is the engine that went into the Willys Americar 1938 - 42 and Willys Jeeps 1941 - 53. Also used in Henry J and Willys Aero cars.

18. Nice find. Looks like you were just in time to save it. I wonder at what time does an old car body thats been out in the open for decades decide it,s had enough and finally falls apart ?

19. Man I love the lines of that dash panel, Id love to graft one into my model A just to be different.

20. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Whippet, Whippet it good

21. chopo

chopo

yes whippets were good..... the headache afterwards is what i wasnt a fan of however.:D

22. built from 1926 to 1931...fastest four cylinder on road...from 5 to 30 in 13 seconds..lol...
    four cylinder rad shell was often stolen..used on dry lakes cars...the pic of 31 has six cylynder rad shell...check out http://www.carnut.com
    many cool pics...have 4 cylinder 28 coupe..model 96a..was my das,,sold it when i was 11...i bought it back 30 yrs later...it was his first car..welcome to email me...have pics of rad cap...rare..hard to find...i know of place that recasts...know of few parts cars..etc...God bless..