Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HAMBER--tbraginton--wins Jay Leno scholarship--or (Tim's excellent adventure)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Aug 30, 2009.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I just recently found out that my young partner in crime Tim has been awarded one of the Jay Leno scholarships at McPherson College where he is a junior this year and is seeking a 4 year degree in auto restoration. As part of this award Tim gets to be an intern next summer for Randy Ema in CA who is the world's foremost authority on Duesenberg restoration. They picked a good one. He is a 22 year old young man with a good head on his shoulders. Since he is not one to brag, I had to learn all this info from another source. And since he is from Nevada and a long way from his family, Mrs. Poverty Flats and I have tried to adopt him somewhat. Congrats Tim!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I dropped by Tim's rented storage-shop today (not part of the school) and dropped off the new roadster body I picked up for our joint venture hot rod project that you may have read about on here in other threads. So far he has a Model A frame, a late model Flattie, a 3 speed tranny, a 32 Chevy grille, a banjo steering wheel, a banjo rear end, and etc. Now he needs a drop axle and some other things. We will get there one day at a time. Here is a photo of Tim sitting in his new mocked up roadster. <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

More photos of the project. I hope he doesn't get too famous to want to work on this old stuff in Kansas anymore! <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center> I hope his instructors don't find out he is a hot rodder and make him do extra homework or something.

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

This last picture shows Tim with his girlfriend Kelsie from CO who is also a student at McPherson but is not in the auto program. <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Congrats to Tim and props to Jay Leno for the scholarship.

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Yes, it was nice of Jay to do this. He sponsors two scholarships each year at McPherson College. He is doing his part to insure top quality restoration workers of the future.

7. BCR

BCR

My brother went to Mcpherson (not the auto program, basketball and beer would better describe it)

I wish I would have gone there for the auto program and not FHSU for a History major.

Congratulations Tim, I am envious!!!

8. Congrats to yer bud. I really like the lines of that roadster. Did you ever determine what it was?

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Yes, we think it is a 29 Willys Whippet sport coupe with the roof removed. <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

wow, that is great! Good for you, Tim. And Paul, you deserve great credit for providing both guidance and encouragement to Tim and many others dipping their toes into the water

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Of course after working for the famous Engine Pro 5X in his shop some this summer Tim should be at home working on nice museum quality cars.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

he may be too humble to admit it, but Engine Pro 5X is a very accomplished restorer of some very valuable non-HAMB cars himself.

Tim was fortunate to have had such quality mentoring in his youth.

13. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Way to go, Tim!

14. Congratulations Tim.

15. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Thanks guys I'm just tickled pink to have had such awesome opportunities! I really can't thank Paul enough not only for this awesome project but also for all the help and encouragement he has given me along the way. Not to mention Mrs. P-flats' amazing home cooked meal! Sure beats the pants off the cafeteria grub.
    Working with engine pro has been an awesome opportunity as well and another thanks goes out to Paul for getting my foot in the door with a guy who's knowledge is outweighed only by his skill.

I can't wait to really get bustin on this project so make sure to check our other thread for updates!!!

16. Wow ,that's really wild as I was just watching the show on tlc were Leno pulled the rare Duesy out of the garage in Cali. Congrads Braggy ol boy sounds like that'll be the experience of a life time !!! >>>>.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That body has some interesting lines. The cowl reminds me a bit of a 28/29 Ford without the dramatic pinch. The belt line is gorgeous... Windshield posts are gonna be REALLY important on this one.

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Congrat's to all involved!

19. colorado51

colorado51

This is really cool. And, Leno is THE MAN for doing this. He is a true car guy.

I just heard an interview with Leno on the Adam Carolla podcast where he was talking about his scholarship program.

This culture looks down on people that work with their hands and do mechanical things for a living. The mentality seems to be that you need to go to college and be a "desk jockey" in order to be a success, and that is a bunch of BS!

Also, Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs" is a strong supporter of this, and I think he also has some sort of scholarship program.

I really believe in this, and if I had the money that those guys do, I would do the same thing.

20. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

So Ryan what are you thinkin? Paul says that speedway posts will bolt up to it so that was the route I thought I'd head but the thought of a duvall had crossed my mind...

21. Absolutely.

22. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

23. sololobo

sololobo

Kudos to Tim and to Jay Leno for his forward thinking with this opportunity. The Dusy experience should be interesting, those cars are really something in the way of incredible. Way to go Pov. for working with this young gifted talent, you and Mrs. Pov. are as cool as it gets. These kind of stories put the big smile on my mug. Congrats to all involved. ~Sololobo~

24. jangleguy

jangleguy

Congrats to all involved! Keep us posted, okay?

25. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Thanks Larry! We are looking forward to seeing you in KC this weekend.

26. sodas38

sodas38

At a boy to Tim, At a boy to Paul, At a boy to Engine Pro 5X and an At aboy to Jay Leno!! This is how the hobby keeps rolling.

27. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Wow, good news all around! Randy Ema is a great guy, you will learn so much from him. Wait until you see his ACD 'library', the stuff dreams are made of!

Congrats and please keep us posted on your progress and adventures. Let this scholarship and internship take you to great places, it will, I promise!

Good on you too Paul :D

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's Awesome!!! Congrats and I'm sure this is just the beginning of big things for him!!!

29. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Thanks guys for all of the support but the real adoration should go to the guys like Paul who not only take the time to meet new people but willing give undeniably cool opportunities!

Another big thanks needs to go to my former employer Dave Bengochea out in Winnemucca Nevada! Dave gave me the opportunity to work on, with and around Ralph Whitworth's collection at the Flying A garage. Sadly that collection (as most already know) will no longer exist but the memories I made will never fade away!

So lets all take a lesson from these guys and do our part to keep this passion alive in the up-and-coming generations!!!