Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Morris Roadster....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Jan 22, 2012.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Well I kinda like these Build threads and figured I should maintain a separate one for my '32 Roadster. I have made several postings about the car over the years but it's time to collect them into one spot. Kinda funny on the title, "The Morris Roadster," Yeah it's not the Ultra Bitchin Black one with the Gurney Weslake motor, but it's mine and the journey has been really long getting to this point. Inspired by many of the great '32's I tried to take a crack at one myself. Not too Original, but just want I wanted!

The Mock-Up Thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

Here's the build of the Chassis a long time ago:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1209&showall=1

My Favorite line, "I hope to have this thing done in about 12 to 18 more months! More news soon!" This posted to the HAMB on 9-14-2003!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!

Here's bolting up the Brookville Body:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457736

BTW, it fits perfect and the doors close like a dream!

And now for some recent progress:

I decided to go away from the SoCal Shock and Headlight mounts for the front of the car and fab up some basic weld on mounts.

Typical Pete & Jake brackets that I picked up from Brizio's
    [​IMG]

They needed a little shave and a cut to clear the larger covered shocks. So into the bridgeport for a little whittling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then pop a few holes for that Race Car look:
    [​IMG]

And crank up the Welder!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHAMO!!! Done....
    [​IMG]

I'm really trying to get this car done this time around. I have promised myself to work on it a little each week while balancing all the other shit I have going on. Funny thing about work'n on the project! It actually progresses! Just the other day my Wife and I were standing out there looking at the car and I reminded here about my statement way back when we first met.

"I won't get married until this car is done......"

That was 12 years, 2 houses, 1 4.5yr Old Kid, and 3 Dogs Ago! Wow!

Fingers crossed this time... Let's git'r done!

~Robert M.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Fantastic! Can't wait to see this thing on the road.

3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I also managed to finish up the Dash this last week. Thanks to my dearest friend, Dave T. I scored a complete set of Stewart Warner Gauges for the car. Popped some holes in the dash and here it is! I'm pretty happy with the finished results but I did notice the Chrome had already chipped off the Dash Panel in a few places. Kinda tough with Chroming Alum I guess? I'll need to get this stripped at some point and probably just polish it? We will see. But for now it's solid!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~Robert M.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Next Up:

Master Cylinder... I had a revelation a few months back and realized that the Old Chevy truck Combo Master/Clutch deals would be slick for this thing! Sure enough! Ordered one up and it's going to fit perfect down in the maze of tube Mike and I welded in the chassis. I'm not happy with the pedals I have so I just ordered new ones from Pete & Jakes last week. They are a bit sexier than these and that kinda shit matters to me.... Making a pattern for the mount plate will be a little tricky but I'll figure it out. More progress on this shortly:

[​IMG]

~Robert M.

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Amen to that Robert!!! Healdsburg needs more Hotrods..... :)

~Berta

6. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

A little work on the Ass-End of things....

Tail lights and Da Plate!

[​IMG]
    In steps my Ace Helper Max!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And we're done....
    [​IMG]

7. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Looks like you have some good help there. You need a nice '32 YOM plate for that roaster.

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hmmm... Possibly So... I was going to stick with the MECH ENG plates that I was so proud to get many years ago, but we will see? You'll notice in one of the Pics the plate is actually WESLAKE. Truth is that when I started collecting parts for this car many moons ago, one of the key Pieces was a complete Gurney Weslake motor. ALA, the Real Morris Roadster. I paid BIG money for that engine and I finally came to the realization that I would never be able to afford the rest of the car having all that $$$ sunk into the MILL. So it was sold off and we digressed to the little CHIVY instead. Not as flashy for sure, but still fine in my book.

~Robert M.

9. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

All motor and no car huh? There's nothing wrong with the little Chevy. You going with the injectors from the earlier pics or the tunnel ram as in the new pics? I might have a spare '32 plate or two hanging in the rafters if you decide to go that route.

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

100% All Motor and no car! The Weslake deal was Bitchin but super expensive! I wonder whatever happened to that motor?? It was pricey to own it in the first place, but what worried me was the $$$ that lie ahead to bring it into the world of street worthy performance. It was pulled from some type of Road Race car and was full tilt boogie! And I only received 1 48 Weber with it so 3 more would add up quickly! Etc Etc....

The Chivy will be fine for sure. I actually took the motor slated for the roadster and put it into the truck as it was done and ready to go. The truck came with a nice '57 283 that will receive a quick once over and then serve it's duty in the '32. I'm going to try that Tunnel Ram. We will see..... ;-) The injectors were a gift from my High School Shop teacher many moons ago and I actually just let go of them to support the cause of a very famous J/F Cackle Car project. I handed them over to the guys and said, "well, you can't turn back now!" hopefully this will spark them on.

I'll chew on the plate idea.... Thanks for the offer!

More News Soon,

Berta

11. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Looks like a great project! Keep pluggin' along.

12. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

13. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome build.

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So... About 2 years ago I was sifting thru Craigslist and up comes a bitchin Black seat freshly removed from a '32 here in town and it's for sale! Good condition and has the right patina so I blast on down with a grip of cash and tell the guy I'll take it!!!!

Well, turns out it was not the seat pictured but rather a shitty old tan Rumble seat that he had lying around... Bummer deal... So life goes on!

Well this is until we are all down in LA this March for the Deuce Week deal and bomb'n around have'n fun with the cars and BS'n with all the gang. I'm telling some guys this story when Sid Chavers says to me, "Hey, you need an interior for a '32???" I'm like, Well, yeah, I going to need the full deal at some point but I was really trying to score this old seat. Sid says, "Hey I just bought a bitchin '32 with a full interior that I'm going to redo.... You can have it!"

Well shit howdy boys and girls.... Thanks much for that!!!! I drove down yesterday with a couple cases of wine as a thank you and loaded up the entire deal. Brought it home and it fits perfect in the car! A million thanks to such a bitchin dude and his generosity! This is a major item checked off the list for me!

Here's some pics:

In the Original Car:
    [​IMG]

And with the seat in my car!!!

[​IMG]

~RM

15. jfrolka

jfrolka

Big time score!! Its looks like its in mint shape too... Your not gonna run California 32' plates??

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

A little here and a little there... Between the Dragster, Work and Family I still manage to find time for the '32!

The last time our group of HotRod dudes was together was to celebrate the life of Dave Wilkerson, a true friend and a big time Bay Area HotRod guy. That was a real hard event for all of us and we made a pack to get together soon under different circumstances. So this past weekend was a real blast... Dave Tanimura and I loaded up projects and we blasted up to Mike Smith's house and shop for a weekend of fabricating, beer drinking, Flat Bottom Boat wrenching, etc. While they were building exhaust on Dave's new T-Truck, I tackled the laborious project of massaging the bones! As you can see from the previous posts, there are holes drilled in the axle and other various brackets. But the big ticket item needed to be the Wish Bones. What a PITA! But they're done and they look snappy! Just need to finish up a few more of the thru tubes this week and they will be finished.

Here's a few pics:

~Robert M.

Attached Files:

17. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

In regards to the passing of Dave Wilkerson:

His car gave me so much inspiration for this project that I have decided to paint the '32 the same color. The whole car is assembled from parts and pieces that have a TON of meaning to me so I only found it fitting to tie Dave into the deal and go with the Blue! I'll be working with Brian Hill to nail down the exact color when the time is right. RIP my friend....

~Robert M.

Attached Files:

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Picked up the Blown Small Block today... This is a Killer Motor!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369444028.088674.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So we stuffed the new mill in last weekend and it looks right at home! First off we needed to dress up the hurst motor mount. Everything on the car has holes drilled in it or is on the list to get holes so why not attack this!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370722806.993504.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370722832.323270.jpg

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Next up was trimming the Lakewood housing to match the block plate. I never liked how these didn't match so I got after it with the porta band and the grinder! I was dreading this job but after a few hours of work its checked off the list.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370722996.540841.jpg

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And last but not least, here's the results of all the monkeying around....

I can't wait to drive this thing!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370723097.374218.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370723114.941405.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370723139.941629.jpg

22. sota

sota

Bitchin project!!!

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Man!

I forgot to mention that the carb spacer and the scoop will be coming off as they date the motor a bit. The car will run a full hood so a slim air cleaner should fit real close underneath....

Cheers,

Robert M.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Sweet Robert, it looks great. Have you done anything to the truck lately or are you just driving the hell out of it.

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Wishbones are finally all done! What a PITA....

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372006280.058796.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372006294.348885.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372006317.216177.jpg

26. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great job, the 4-71 on top of a small block looks just right!

27. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Man! Nothing to report on the truck. It's actually been trapped behind my Dad's '33 coupe for months and after shipping it off to the new owner Friday I can actually drive it again! That's on the agenda for this week. I have a few items I need to tend to on it for sure.

I agree! I used to think it had to be a 6-71 or nothing but the smaller blower is growing on me. There's no arguing the performance of this motor plus they do look just right up there. Can't wait to drive this thing... It's going to be a handfull for sure.

Cheers,

Robert M.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great project -- and very nice work, Robert!
    I caught up on the whole build and will be following along.
    Also, I finally put 2&2 together and figured out I've been following your progress on Instagram, too... haha :)

Malcolm

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Nice! Thanks much Malcolm! Steering and the front panhard bar is next. That should pretty much wrap up the front end on this deal and I can move onto the firewall and finishing up the pedals.

Cheers,

RM