Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

We used to use headlights to get the carhops attention back in the day

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Sounds like there's still people that don't respect the fact that it's a business and a business that only opened after amazing odds, roadblocks and toil.
    As I stated in my previous post, much of this behavior wouldn't have been tolerated at the Bob's in Glendale, Van Nuys or Pasadena back in the 60's.
    If someone back then had their hood open under a canopy, it meant that they had car trouble. Someone sitting in a folding chair would have been asked to leave.
    If, from what I'm reading, that the waitresses don't want to work in the canopy area because of the lack of patron turnover and tipping, then that's possibly the first sign that there could be trouble ahead. Unhappy employees are not a good thing for Jim or Lindsey.
    Tip, and tip well. Spend a few extra dollars as a "thank you". Money well spent!

3. Adriene

Adriene

Ruby's completed resto of a historic 1928 building in Anaheim and opened their new 40s style concept drive-in at Five Points in Anaheim this morning, complete with roller skating carhops, located at:

1128 W. Lincoln Ave., Anaheim

714-635-7829

Here's the press release:

http://www.rubys.com/cms/releases/Ruby's Drive-In.pdf

4. cruzr

cruzr

The original building used to be a Drugstore and Soda Fountain. I went to Anaheim High{grad 1960} and we used to race over at lunch time to get a seat and eat there. Next door was a Paint co called Lunds Paint where i had a job stocking shelves. Anaheim was a cool town to grow up in, pleanty of Hot Rods around. The best place to hang out though was the "Bean Hut" .

Attached Files:

5. John Denich

John Denich

Hey Randy do you remember what the Ruby's building was in 1928 when they built it...must have been neat to see them build it in 1928...tell us all about it!!!!:D

I going to go by there today on the way home to check it out!

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice turn out for what was going to be a rain out.:) Missed out on the Cyclone sandwich :( o well I know it will be back sometime soon. And Kirby was back with his BIG SCREEN :):D:cool:

7. just out of curiosity...

where are they setting up the screen and does it promote "power parking"??

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

On the back row. Kirby knows whats up so that isn't a problem. There was a group that didn't understand that the aisles need to be kept clear, but the did eat at their cars and hopefully everybody will get the hint that this is a drive in business 1st and the car cruise night needs to be a success or it may just go away :(.
    Lets please do what we can to show Jim that we care about "our" drive -in and that we can make it fun 4 all ;).

9. It looks like it is time for the responsible to educate the irresponsible. Like Doug said if your not ordering food get out from under the canopy and let the folks earn some money. If you don't it won't be there long.

10. Racewriter

Racewriter

After Sunday at the GNRS, I made a point to stop at the Broiler for dinner. The wife didn't get it - at first. Now, she has informed me that a visit to the Broiler will be on the agenda for each future LA trip.

Oh, and we parked our rental Camaro on the back row and ate inside.

11. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

its all about fun, having a good time. So many are pre-occupied with what everyone else is doing, car hop nazis. Lead by example. Oh and good turn out last night, thanks again to the friendly staff

12. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i got ur back kevin and so do all the psycho saints

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  13. John H

John H

Speaking of the anniversary cruise: I have pics of the 32n'd anniversary
    Harvey's cruise from April 10, 1990. Ill put em up if you guys are interested, in a separate thread. Do you guys want to see them? I did another photo thread recently and nobody responded. Let me know and I will do it this week on the anniversary.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  14. Yes, please do that, John H. And put a link here so we can see it. Put up a link to the one you said got ignored, too. The HAMB is so big and so fast that things drop several pages quickly. I used to go to Lee's Harvey's cruises back then. I'd love to see your pics.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

John H, do post. Thanks ahead of time.

16. John H

John H

Hi Phil and Johnny,

thanks for the responses. Here's the link.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440485

This was one of the event cruises Lee used to do besides the Harvey's Cruise Nite. It was just a great fun day we had. Unfortunately my scanner doesn't want to connect to my computer...I hope to get it going this week...otherwise I have to put the pics on black cardboard and shoot them like I did with this thread. Sunday the 11th is the 20th anniversary of the 32nd anniversary cruise will have em up then. I sure miss my 56 Ford!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  17. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

The psycho saints will be at bobs tommarow for sure

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Don't forget the HAMB saturday nite cruise tonite. Same deal as weds nites cruise. This is for the guys who can't make it on Weds,but everyones welcome :).
    Next Sat will be the 52nd b-day of the Broiler so come on out and grab a bite 2 eat.
    I didn't really want to give it a set time so come on out when you can!!!!!
    I'm so stoked that that place is back!!!!!!

The next Ghost Cruise will be June 5th so start a list of who's going to take the ride.

19. Kevin, I'm buried in stuff to do, but I'll come by tonight. I want to hear about the new Ghost Ride. You'll all have to excuse the dirty car. Like I said: Busy. Don't worry I'll park my wad in the back lot.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

See you in bit Kevin

21. John H

John H

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

anyone going tonight?? I was thinking to head over there to grab a burger. Ill be in my T and my buddy is taking his sedan

23. twofosho

twofosho

Kevin says don't forget tomorrow is April 17, the 52nd anniversary of the opening of
    Harvey's Broiler. It's a loose cruise from 10am to 10pm, be there if you can.

24. OLLIN

OLLIN

Just got back. I would like to say that it looks really cool inside. Not cheesy like the Denny's rennovations. You guys did a great job. Its a faithful resto with some tastefully done modern upgrades.

The last time I ate there was probably '97 or so. The shakes are good!

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ollin,Thanx 4 coming out and the kudos. We appreciate that! Hear that Miss A('s), Look like they like it. ;).
    The Broiler is 52 yrs. young today, I wish that I could've seen it on Harvey's 1st day of biz. Glad that I'm living now cuz we all got to help and experience it's rebirth :).
    Hope to see y'all tonite for the Saturday Nite Cruise, come celebrate its b-day as well as C'Deuceds! Happy B-Day LPG! :).

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Cruise Nite Weds 04/21, 5-10pm It's Chili "Phil" Tamale & Chips nite- $5.49 in the Drive-In
    You guys have been great by following the regs that we need to have in order to make sure that everything doesn't get out of hand. A BIG THANK YOU from everyone here @ the Broiler! Hope ta see ya on Weds-Sat!

27. John Denich

John Denich

I dont care what you call "it" I am not eating "Phils Tamale".....I will try to be there!

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I can't make it this Wednesday. But I plan on doing a head change this week so I may head out Saturday to do a shake down. :D:D;)

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Might have to eat that tamale in my driver. Looks like rain, hope not.

30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hope to see ya there on Weds 4/28, Don't forget that the Midniters have their car show on Sunday 4/24/10 @ 2pm , C'mon out and grab some grub and see some cars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.