Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing that ever happened to you because of the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Sep 13, 2009.

1. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

I've met alot of great friends on here,,,ones that I know I can count on

2. rodknocker

rodknocker

Well I went to school with this cool cat named Tony,always into old cars.After school, I went off to the Marine Corps. and lost contact. Well I always liked old cars, had no idea there was such following of traditional rods and customs, the local shows were mostly streetrod guys, but I could never get into the teal paint with the splashes graphics. About 5 years ago i picked up a 50 Shoebox from the local leader of the Hells Angels, and in my quest to find out more about my car and the traditional stuff I found the HAMB. While looking at a few threads I found a "Tony" from Rochester,NY and low and behold it was my old pal. So for that I give you this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-HaybHMGTQ even if we live only 10minutes apart and only see each other at a couple swap meets :)

3. BELLM

BELLM

I have several hundred friends I would have never met had I not joined the HAMB, also when I first joined up Reggie, who I had not met at the time, posted an old roadster picture and gave photo credit to a friend I had not seen in about 30 years. Sent Reggie a PM, later that night friends son emailed, next day friend e-mailed, renewed a really good friendship.

4. coolest thing?????????? hard to say..several relays on parts..free parts from other members (thanks for the olds drums:D) who don't want their names dropped on the forum....
    some unbeleivable freinds i have made too.....

i came here following an old add for a topolino body on another forum...Maddog's old car when he first bought it...he told me that site was ok, but the real deal was here at the Hamb....

2 months later i respond to a 2 year old add in the classifieds.....no response to it..but got a pm from another Hamber who pointed me to my topolino i now am building..well still collecting peices...last nite it was a year since i brought it home ..so for sure, this is the coolest ....

here's a thread about the past year for me as a topolino lovin Hamber........

http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?p=4329313#post4329313

5. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

The round up the invasion and billet proof and alot of fun people its great to meet here I used to grab an ol magazine but now its the ol lap top parts tech what else do you need !!

6. Choptop

Choptop

I heard about my first Billetproof via the HAMB. Took my 47 Tudour to the show, liked it so much I bought the company (YEARS later) :D.

7. Brian C

Brian C

Finding out about the Jalopy Showdown and meeting Scarry Larry & Clark. Good people every one of 'em.

Also meeting Denise at this years event.

Pretty much every HAMB'er I've met has been a regular person with no "airs" or attitudes, it's refreshing!

8. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

The HAMB really brought me out of my shell and helped cure my depression. Before, I absolutely dreaded talking to people and as a result didn't go to many car related events. Now, I actually know people who can help me out and I really like talking to new folks. I go to alot more shows and races now too.

9. Kirsten

Kirsten

The coolest thing that has happened to me because of the HAMB is I have been able to do more work on my car myself than I could without all of the information I get here. Everyone who has responded to my posts for help, no matter how trivial or simple the problem was has been patient and more than willing to explain things to me so that I could go out to the garage and work. I hope to meet more members and someday be able to give some knowledge back to others.
    Other super cool things via the HAMB: Free parts for my Buick from Bassfire and getting turned on to the salt...I'm going back to B'ville this week and hope to see some of you there.

10. Appleseed

Appleseed

Would have never found out about the Hunnert Car Pile Up, or became friends with the Chrome Czars.

11. Not only have I been able to complete my first scratch built hot rod from all the info I have got from this place,I have also met some really good people.One of those people(Jive-Bomber)got me hooked up with MLV from Gearhead Magazine.I am proud to say that I am now a part of this fine magazine.If it were not for the H.A.M.B. (and Jay),that wouldn't have been possible....Thanks Ryan for giving us this place........

12. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I've learned a bunch of stuff hanging around here and I get to belong to something - which is nice as I'm usually a total outsider in my day to day life. :cool:

13. I got schooled on Cheaterama....Not too gently, but I'm looking forward to being there next year with a better understanding and hopes of seeing some awesome cars.......Centurion9

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

NoboD told me I might like the HAMB years ago and he sure was right! Nothing beats posting a question at 1:00 in the morning making a cup of coffee and having an answer 15 minutes later, a correct answer at that. I like all the History threads and all the info that we add to them, no sence hording all those bits of info you have in your head or in the photo collections. The trip to Hershey in 2007 with Bluto and Mrs. Bluto following me is my favorite HAMB related adventure. Header tank on my van developed a 10 inch split so there were lots of stops along the way. New core thanks to NoboD and the trip home was fine. The HAMB is a great bunch of guys with some lovely ladies.

15. Muttley

Muttley

I've met more HAMBers than I can count. Got a ride from Drop Tank to Billetproof in '04, he wouldnt even accept gas money from me. Slept on KIRK's hotel room floor, he wouldnt accept beer or anything else as payment. Slept on Jordan's hotel room floor for Paso '06 and once again he wouldnt take any kind of payment for it. I try and help out as many HAMBers as I can just to pass along the good will, this place is like family.

16. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

3-way tie between networking with new friends even locally, that for whatever reason I hadn't met before (Crusty Nut) or even those in the Bay Area that i'd later meet in-person, and helping reunite me with my hot rodding mentor Cyclone Kevin, coupla years ago. Tie that with the help my travelling friends have gotten from the HAMB family when I've alerted of them having road trouble. Even I have times where I rant about how the Net can seem like it's isolating people from each other - in-person, or in local hangout terms - yet at the same time more great social network systems are coming out, and good samaritans are really responding.

17. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

To allow me to follow some of my out-there-est ideas, I got super rare (in Australia, anyway) parts delivered to me for FREE :eek: !

I met GENE WINFIELD !!!!

but I really like that I got to give a little back to some people who really deserved it!! :)

18. sololobo

sololobo

Actual events of assistance, bought a short block in Coffeyville, Ks., seller takes it to the swap meet in Springfield, Mo., Earl Schieb offers to meet him there and bring it to the H.A.M.B. drags. Delivers it to the H.A.M.B. drags where Kerry, 32highboy, nosurf, help heft it on our trailer!! (Earl Schieb) Mike would not take any $ for the effort. Savings=$300.00 to $400.00, and Mike answered my plea for a relay within the hour of posting, unbelievable!! Plus all the rescue stories of help when other members are broke down on the road, this gives me the confidence to head off to distant events with the feeling my back is covered. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. Lucky to be affiliated with a class group!! ~Sololobo~

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yeah but don't tell any of my other boyfriends on here ok?? ;)

The coolest thing has to be the people. There has been hundreds, if not thousands, of HAMB folks that I've had the opportunity to meet and get to know over the last 7 years all because of the HAMB.

The most significant in my life, and Big Olds life, has been Earl Schieb. Without him I highly doubt Big Olds would be painted, or at least not painted to a level he is. I owe Mike more then I could ever repay but I try, I try to repay Mike by doing for others cuz that what Mike would want. He's that kinda guy. Viva La HAMB.

How could I forget my cruzn and best buddy Megan! Without the HAMB I really doubt we would have ever met or even if we did, I don't think we would have become so close and have had the opportunity to do so many cool cruzn gigs together. I'm a lucky, lucky girl to have so many great friends!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  20. I never knew that people with tatoos all over them and wierd hairdo's could be really good, friendly and nice all around folks,,,LOL. I always thought that they were surely wierd pot smoking people.

21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I like the community. It feels like sitting down with friends, and I spend ALOT of time with my friends. The relays are amazing.
    The coolest thing though, was the treatment I got when I got a HAMB shirt for for the Girlfriend.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm generally oblivious to anything that isn't metal, but I guess the neatest stuff here is the livewear!
    Met people like Flatdog, Denise, Suhr BEFORE he was a rockstar, Bluto, many others. Sadly can't go anywhere these days, but the people I meet on line are generally great.
    Oh, yes...got a box of Denise's cookies and got to drive Flatdog's car, probably the most powerful street flathead there ever was, and to talk endlessly about airflow theory and to help research neat stuff going on that thing!
    And don't even mention the board response to HambAndy.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

24. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

25. skwurl

skwurl

I sat in 48fordnuts FED. I met him and a bunch of other cool folks.

26. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

When I changed jobs and moved here, i had to rent a room from a crazy old lady for 6 months til we could afford a place here. No garage, nothing but a room and access to the can and the kitchen.

Thru the HAMB I got hooked up with, to quote Ryan, "Those crazy bastards from St. Louis" and that saved my sanity.
    Too many good people here and too much special goes on to name just one thing.

27. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

can't say that anything happened to me because of the HAMB....OH there was that time I disagreed with someone and got gang banged.

28. S.F.

S.F.

my car being covered in hot rod deluxe magazine