Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any good samaritans in So-Cal anymore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-duece-chevy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

I'm hoping there's somebody near the Lawndale (Redondo Beach, CA) area that can be a good samaritan to a woman in need. She has a '49 Chevy that needed a 3 speed trans, which I sold to her for $20. She was swindled by a couple young punks who told her they would install it for $85 but never finished the job or botched it entirely (I don't know which). To top it all off, they also stole some belongings from her car and all this occurred almost simultaneously with her being layed off from her job. Her dream of getting this car back on the road have been shattered and if I didn't live on the opposite coast, I'd be there getting that trans in the right way. Is there any good samaritans here that are willing to help a lady out. I spent quite some time on the phone with her and she is just devastated. She seems to be just the sweetest lady out there. When I shipped the trans out to her, I got the nicest thank you package sent to my house with all kinds of cool old car stuff in it. She's really a cool gal and I hate to see her being taken advantage of like this. Is there anybody out there that can be a hero? I'm leaving out details so as not to give her identity away entirely, but please PM me if you're willing to help!

From the information I got from her, it seems as though the hooligans either forgot to install the clutch disc, or have no idea how to hook up the shift linkage.

2. i have a shop in lawndale.
    i'll PM you.

3. plan9

plan9

give us names of the assholes.

4. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

This story hits a nerve with me.
    Please let us know how it turns out.

5. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Thanks for the PM, altered pilot!

I think the torque tube driveshaft configuration is what made it hard for these guys to do the swap. Especially with just some jackstands and hand tools. But I agree, I think that they were embarrassed that they couldn't get the job done the right way, so they blamed bad parts (which I know is not the case) and took the money anyway. Hopefully, her outlook on the world will change for the better with a proper act of kindness. As for the hooligans, they'll find out all about karma eventually.

6. Scott

Scott

Right on Mitch

7. BenW455

BenW455

I am in WV so I cant help. But if you cant find someone to put in for free I will kick in 10 bucks to pay labor. I am sure a few other guys would kick in a few to get her back on the road.

8. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Let me know if you need any help Mitch. You should have my number.

9. John Denich

John Denich

Hey I have a Truck and Trailer if we need to get it to your shop Mitch, and if they screwed up the torque tube I have a spare one with the rear, Just in case, let me know if we need to move it.

John

10. cool. thanks for the offers guys.
    i called her this morning and left a message. i'll keep trying until i get ahold of her.
    i'll keep you posted.

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The love of the HAMB is always a very pleasant thing to see.......well done guys.

12. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

If i dress nice, can I help ? Huh Mitch? Pretty please?

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hey FWIW I'm off work starting next saturday I'd love to help and I'll have time to do it! just shoot me a PM

14. only if you run the grass skirt and coconut bikini....

thanks for all the offers guys...

if i can get ahold of this lady, maybe we can make a saturday out of it and grill up some links at the shop...

15. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I am familiar with these, and willing to lend a hand.
    alteredpilot, call me if you need help.

David

16. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

You guys are tops!

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Cool deal. Good luck with it and hope you get her ride back on the road for her without too much effort. This is actually the traditional way of doing things and good to see.

18. okay...
    i talked to the lady today. she lives right down the street from the shop.
    i got the full story on the deal. shes out some cash and her car is still out of order.
    she sounded like a real sweet gal in a bad spot, and sounded really grateful that a bunch of guys would band together to bless a perfect stranger.
    i'm going over on tuesday to check everything out. may be something real simple.
    i'll post a report after i go over.

if it requires a pull, how does saturday the 15th sound for everyone?
    i'm sure we dont need that many hands, i'm sure my dad and i can handle it by ourselves, but what the heck...i never like to rob anyone of an opportunity to be of help to someone in need and to see the look of gratitude on their face -or- to just get together, BS and grill some links!

...and i think i talked her into a couple dozen choclate chip cookies...

19. Mitch, if it looks like she needs a few bucks or if you feel like we could we maybe reimburse her, let us know. I can't do too much but can do something.

20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

you guys are what rodding is about!

21. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

God Bless you ALL! Keep us posted!

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hey if you're offering the BBQ, I'll bring some food! Just let me know what I should get! Even if I don't get my hands dirty, it sounds likea good time to me! :) Thanks man!

23. 36rustrod

36rustrod

Hey Mitch, im in. Always willing to help out a lady, especially a fellow lawndalian! Keep me posted and let me know if you need me to bring someting. And if something is wrong with that transmission i know a guy with one that i know is in proper working order. He owes me quite a few favors and dollars so i am sure we could work something out.

24. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Mitch, you know where to find me, let me know what's up

25. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Things like this are encouraging to read.
    So I get to be one that says "Wished I lived closer" but I will just settle with a Thank You to all involved in helping this lady out.

26. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

It doesn't surprise me at all that Mitch would be willing to take care of this. Good on ya' man.

-chris

27. zzford

zzford

It is so good to read that there are still so many people out there with giving hearts. God bless you guys. Be sure your kindness will be returned to you down the road.

28. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

I want to give the biggest THANKS out to Mitch for stepping up to the plate on this one, as well as all the others who are gonna be helping Mitch out. The damsel in distress is just overjoyed that there are still good hearted people still out there, willing to lend a hand. She attempted to text message something to me today but for some reason I couldn't download it, so I'll be calling her tomorrow. If any of the people involved could take some pics of her car when you're working on it, I would be stoked to see what it looks like. She tried to describe it to me, but a picture is worth a thousand words!

Thanks again guys!!!!!!

29. allrighty...
    went over to meet the lady and survey the damage.
    she was pretty overcome with joy over the whole deal...

she told me that she was over at cornerfool's shop and he told her..'hey, you're all over the internet' and he showed her the thread...she was crying and the whole bit...

i feel really good about helping this lady out. she's not a take advantage type, she's genuine and just in a bad way having been laid off from work and all that...

onto the car...
    '49 4dr with the stock six and 3 spd. its pretty much all original with a rebuilt engine. its got a classic mexican stance replete with smashed tailpipe. the front floorboards are rotten, i didnt check the rears.

it appears that the car is stuck in 3rd. it looks like the nitwits who put the trans in hooked the linkage up backwards. simple enough fix if thats all it is, but if they got something that simple wrong i think it would be in the best interest of all involved that we go through and double check everything to make sure they didn't 'overlook' anything.

so here's what i'm thinking.
    i could probably just put a jack under it and swap the linkage but i'm spoiled and would rather work under a lift. well that and if that doesnt fix it we still gotta get it to the shop....

so we can jack dolly it out of its parking space and get it up on a trailer.
    once at the shop we can survey everything.

once we get the trans issue dialed in, i was thinking we could go through everything and make sure everything is cool. check the brakes, suspension, important nuts and bolts, maybe run a quick tune up on it...you know...whatever we can do in a day. she's got at least one replacement floor pan. maybe someone can drag a welder over and slap a pan in for her...you get the idea...

if anyone wants to donate some funds to the cause, you can PM me for my paypal address. i guarantee that all funds will go to buy parts, etc. OR will go to the lady so she can buy catalog parts she needs.

does anyone make banners? wanna make a donation? please PM me if so. thanks!

everyone who wants to help...how does saturday nov 15 sound?
    we can meet up at the starbucks in torrance on hawthorne blvd at artesia around 8. they usually have a pretty good mix of old cars at that time. we'll head to the shop around 9. the car is about 5 minutes from the shop. if you cant get there early just meet over at the shop.

15210 inglewood ave
    lawndale, ca 90260
    310-973-5019

even if there's too many hands at once, just come by to shoot the breeze and get in the way.

let me know if you're planning on coming so i can make sure to have enough sodas and stuff

30. cornernfool

cornernfool

Hey Mitch, thats CornerNfool. Anyhow I'll be at work Saturday, but if you need a welder, I have 110 Lincoln mig for the floorpans. And yes she was a weeping reading the thread.