Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopped model a coupes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kieran, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

well, ive been trying to figure out how much i want to chop my 31 coupe and i can't make up my mind. its going to be my daily and im looking for pictures of your guys coupes and how much they are chopped.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Sit in the car as you would when driving it.
    Have your wife, girlfriend, son, daughter, neighbor, lower a piece of cardboard down the window of the door marked in inches, same for the windshield. As soon as you feel unsafe and have a crick in your neck, stop and move back up an inch at a time until you can still see well an aren't uncomfortable. Mark and cut.

What anybody else has done is meaningless. What makes you feel right is what makes YOU feel right. Any chop is a chop and an accomplishment whether 1 1/2" or 4-5" but some are ridiculous and dangerous for the street as vision is restricted severly. It is also often better to cut the rear window less than the front and sideglasses.

Just Gary likes this.
  4. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

my bad. i usually find what im looking for in old threads, but somehow i didn't come across that one. thanks!

5. squirrel

squirrel

I only found it because I'm working on a Model A for the guy who started the thread!

6. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

How tall are you. It makes a difference. I ended up chopping mine 4 and I am 6'2", but the car isn't channeled. It's sitting on 32 rails.

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If it's going to truely be a daily driver, you might not want to chop it at all. You're gonna get very tired of always having to bend down and lean forward just to see stoplights. Neither of my Model A's are chopped and they are still hard to see lights out of.

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

10. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

The cardboard trick is a good idea. Be sure to keep in mind your channel measurement, if any.

11. millersgarage

millersgarage

when I did mine, I marked out the body at 1" intervals, then took a nice side shot of the car. Printed it, then cut it across at the top line.
    Moved the roof up and down until I found the spot that looked good, then counted the inches.
    voila

then hit it with a hacksaw

12. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If you are not 6' whatever" you can go low as you leagally want. My 28 sedan is 5 1/2" chop, I sit on Camaro buckets with the seat all the way back as far as it will go. Leg room is the big problem especially critical in a coupe. I don't really have too much visability problem unless there is only 1 signal at an intersection. Als you got to remember that they will never get you out if you roll it and the window openings are smaller than your head and body. Hopefully in that case the doors opened before they got jammed. GO LOW.

13. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Here is the 2" chop on mine.

Rich

Attached Files:

14. I took 4inch out of mine,then some smart arse brought out glass bodies with a 4 inch chop already in them so I chopped it another 1 and a half inch.Sounds a lot but the A is taller than the deuce of course,to get the same look.

15. ratster

ratster

here's my son joshua's, chopped 5"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

what he said.....

17. pecker head

pecker head

Chopped 5 channeled 4 ! They make a prism to mount on dash to see traffic lights .

<<<<<<

18. pecker head

pecker head

CABC5F6C-3B09-4A6B-80F2-D472B970F027.jpeg

19. cabong

cabong

This critter was chopped when I got it, and I believe 4", but who knows...... I used a van center seat, am 6' tall, and fit fine. If necessary, I could move the seat back another 6".... A at Bonnie2.jpg

akoutlaw likes this.