Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical First 31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OutrunthaDebil, Jun 18, 2022.

1. OutrunthaDebil

OutrunthaDebil

Hello Everyone. I am new to the H.A.M.B. and just picked up what I think is a good start of a 1931 Ford model A. It has some suspension issues I am preparing to sort out first by borrowing some car scales to weigh her corners so I can order and set up new suspension components. Currently it has a 4 link coil over set up on the Ford 9in rear end. Up front it has an unknown year of straight axle with "home made" coil overs that have to be replaced.

My first question for you is can you run a drop axle and delete the front leaf spring pack if properly selected coil over shocks are installed. I did some searching and could not find any photos or articles covering this setup, I only found coil overs with IFS setups.

Thank you for you help.

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Welcome. We are going to need more info. Posting up some clear pics of what you have will help immensely.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Pics for those who know, would help;). I wonder it you have one the old time add on coil spring setups? Or are there shocks inside the coils?
    Anyways, as been said pics will help.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Clear, large, detailed pictures needed

5. OutrunthaDebil

OutrunthaDebil

Ok, so first pic shows the most of the home made coil over. It appears the took a spring of unknown origin and rough cut a top and bottom cap to keep it on the shock. The top plate free float and are only held down by the shock bolt (item 1). Also note the triangular mounting bracket from 1" square tube (item 2). And lastly is the rough cut flat bracket crudely welded to the axle (items 3&4).
    Picture 2 shows the lower mount bracket (item5) and gives a better look at the axle I am working to identify. I have narrowed it down to about 3 models, I am going to measure the kingpin distance, perchs, etc to narrow it down.

Attached Files:

6. Budget36 likes this.
  7. OutrunthaDebil

OutrunthaDebil

I thought it fell into the hot rod category but I feel your saying its too rat rod for this forum?

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  8. twenty8

twenty8

Honestly, it doesn't seem to miss the mark by that far. Wheels and tires would have to go if it were mine.
    @X38 is right. Remove all of the front suspension and bracketry. A lot of what you have is fine to reuse. You just need to get it set up like it should be. You will get good help here if you really want to make it right.

AHotRod, VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  9. OutrunthaDebil

OutrunthaDebil

The plan is to try and undo as much hillbilly engineering as possible. But she will never be a show car. I was searching for a 1956 ford victoria hardtop when I saw her, and I was flooded with memories of Cartoons magazine, and Krass&Bernie crazy car builds. So I figured I would rather get out there now rather than possibly wait years to find my dream car.

AHotRod, catdad49 and harpo1313 like this.
  10. twenty8

twenty8

11. Yes, workable piece for sure. I would put a dropped axle in for certain and start over on the front end. The rack must go IMHO.

AHotRod and twenty8 like this.