Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introducing my Fuel Coupe-styled Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 1. Nitro-burning Fuel Coupes and Sedans were, IMHO, the most exciting cars at the at the mid ‘60’s dragstrips. They sorta lost favor when lightweight fiberglass T-buckets, Bantams and Topolinos began to dominate the altered classes.

I’m building a bare-bones ‘60’s style ’28 Ford Tudor sedan that’s inspired by them but admittedly, a lot milder. Everything will be either stock Ford or vintage racecar stuff- no “1-800” fluff. It should run mid-12-second ETs, while knocking down 20+ MPG enroute to the HAMBdrags or Maxton Mile, with room for Momma & two kids to ride shotgun (darn right, they’re troopers J). Except for rebuilding the engine and major frame welding, it’ll be done in my garage.

The body will be a hoodless hiboy with a 4” chop and stock vinyl roof. No fancy pinstripes or flames. Instead, a few STP and Isky stickers will provide period spice.

It’ll have a pinched & buggy-sprung Deuce chassis with the front frame horns whacked off and lightening holes punched in everything that’ll fit in a drill-press. Tires will be exaggerated bigs and littles on “as-cast” ET III mags. A stock Deuce gas tank and home-made push-bar will bring up the rear.

The drivetrain is a “not-too-wild” 354 truck Hemi mounted up high so there’s no visual clutter below the frame. It’ll have ~9.8:1 CR, dual quads and a Greer/Black/Prudhomme-style scoop. Exhaust will be painted white—either zoomies with baffles or home-made fenderwell exit headers. Tranny is TBD, but will have overdrive. A posi-equipped rearend will follow—either 9” Ford or old Pontiac/Olds.

The interior will contain nothing but some gauges, a Covico-style steering wheel, Moon gas pedal, Hurst shifter, four fiberglass bucket seats, racing seatbelts, a fire extinguisher and probably a rollbar. No radio, headliner, or other nonsense.

Influences are:
    · Mooneyham/Sharp 554 coupe
    · Gabby Bleeker’s ’32 Austin
    · 15 oz. ’34 5-window
    · Ed Roth’s “Wanna Race?” T-shirt
    · Roothawg’s “Drag-on Fly” sedan
    · Flamed A-Bone’s ’30 sedan

Additionally, the E&B ’32 sedan, Littleman’s, Rolf’s and Bass’s A-coupes, Tom Prufer’s black/flamed ’32 3-window and the orange ’34 3-windows built by Billy Vinther and Guy (“You’d Lose”) Rouchonette also provide inspiration.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    EVL401, Outback, winr and 5 others like this.
  2. 2. Here’s how it looked last June, as advertised on www.fordbarn.com:
    “1928 Tudor sedan. Mostly complete, but partially disassembled and in storage since late ‘50’s. Surface rust only. Excellent subrails, quarters, doors and floor”.

Attached Files:

3. 3. Here it is in July, on I-95 South from CT, past NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC. Duct tape is covering cracked glass. It’s hard to see, but at ~65 mph, shreds of headliner and roof insulation blew out the top and the two-blade fan started spinning wildly… looking like a Sopwith Camel hunting a Fokker Triplane :D…

Attached Files:

4. 4. Here it is now (sorry for the caffeine-induced blurry pics).
    • Boones bought a rear fender, then I sold the stock rolling chassis/drivetrain and front sheetmetal to a local restorer (who’s building a woody) for 2/3 my initial purchase price.
    • The truck heads and “Fire Power” valve covers are placeholders- I have a set of 354 automotive heads stashed in the bedroom closet and my “beloved bride” tells me I’m getting a set of period correct M/T covers for Christmas.
    • The wheels and tires are also temporary- borrowed from a buddy’s truck and my daily driver Toyota- solely for sizing/mock-up purposes.
    • The chalk marks are not for actual cutting yet- they just indicate a 4” haircut and lightening holes in the visor for photoshop purposes.

So, whadda ya think?

Attached Files:

-Brent-, EVL401, winr and 9 others like this.

5. I think that's going to be cool as hell. Keep us posted on your progress.

6. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

I agree, it's going to be nice!!! Keep the progress pic's coming.

7. brandon

brandon

i dig the concept.....those cars you mentioned.....especially that "you'd lose" coupe....(bad bad bad) .....i came a hair close to putting a hemi in my last a sedan .....but the rebuild was going to cost the same as most of the car ....lol .....heres a shot of it before i got it out....brandon

Attached Files:

Deuces, Kan Kustom, brEad and 2 others like this.
  8. Re-creating an AA Fuel Competition Coupe myself with Batam body. Hope mine looks as good as yours does.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

I wondered what you have been up to Gary, I like what your doing.

Pop Marner's Bantam as well as Gabby Bleekers were the inspiration for my car.

Attached Files:

11. Good lookin' project Gary. Can't wait to see it on the road.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gary,
    What color combination are you looking at doing on it?

Just Gary likes this.
  13. Thanks, guys.

Glen,
    It'll be red oxide until I get it running and all the bugs worked out. After that, I'm leaning toward bright orange.

Because it's following a racecar theme, it's gotta be "in your face". I'd considered metalflake apricot or purple, but I really studied Montgomery's Fuel Altered and Gas Coupes/Sedans books and found that most racecars had simple, single-color paint jobs until ~1968-69. After that, 'flake, candies, panel painting, freak drops, etc. became prevelant.

'course, a lot could happen between now and when I enter a paint store.:)

14. brandon... your sedan flat out does it for me.

Bitchen!

Lowered, wheels set in and up a tad, not on a rake... looks like a drag car!

Sam.

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Damn.. that is the rake I wanted for my Sedan, kinda cartoonish). I know you said you had a secret project but you could have told me. I dig the way you are going with yours, I was wanting the race car flavor also..

Speaking of Sedans, I am more then likely going to have to sell mine it looks like, just make a purchase of another project (details coming in a few weeks when it gets home) so its either that or the wagon... and I can get more for the sedan then the wagon...

Brandon, whats that on the lower back of your car (how about another pic of it... looks great)

16. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, Gary55, with a few exceptions, I'm collecting parts for something similar.

...and Brandon, that sedan is cool too.

40's and 50's is great, love it, but I like the 60's the mostest.

18. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hey great car, we have the same agenda. I'm nearing the 75%, ya right, completion mark of my '30 tudor sedan with a 392 hemi which will be supercharged.
    I hope to be dragging my car next year in BG, Kentucky at the Hot Rod Nationals...
    Nice pic's of your rod, great look....
    Here's a pick of mine a month or two ago....

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Chrome push bar, sheet aluminum interior, Sun tach, black roll bar, orange paint, and red plexiglass windows.

I reckon.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

20. brandon

brandon

Brandon, whats that on the lower back of your car (how about another pic of it... looks great)[/QUOTE]

its a harley taillight .....left over from a customers bike......it fit the contour pretty close.....tombstone style....with plate holder...never made it to the drivable version ...lol ....brandon

21. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

cool look, I am in the same boat with my 31 vicky project. here it is on the frme welded on with the full cage , it runs a 408 big block with a glide and 9 inch rear 32 grille with alum insert with holes, a 30 style visor with holes and a off white top and gold lower half should round it out lookin to hook up and run roots FLY.........keep after it not enough of em yet , I dig it..........:cool:

Attached Files:

22. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

I too had a thing for Tom Prufer’s black/flamed ’33 3-window and Guy Rouchonettes orange 34 along with a lot of old Ed Roth t-shirts I wore back when I was 13 years old. I even once built a bantam coupe with an 84” wheelbase but it wasn’t too practical to drive anywhere and I’ve never owned a trailer so I tried again. Took me 8 years but it’s been on the road since April with trips to Paso, Palmdale and Ventura. Contrary to what it looks like this turned out to be a very drivable car.
    It seems like it’s too wild and unrefined for the street rodder guys. No AC, power anything or stereo and too flashy for the retro rod guys, but I absolutely love it. I drive it all over town, to the post office, beer store, taco bell. I’m 13 again and drivin my t-shirt.
    Whadda you guys think of it?

Attached Files:

winr, Besty34, chriseakin and 13 others like this.
  23. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

I talked to you at Paso, You even made me get in and ck out the dash:D Its a great ride and my girl got tired of hearing about it all nite. Ha Ha.

brEad likes this.
  24. Rolf

Rolf

Love the 60's drag style you are going for, I look forward to more up-dates.

25. "Sing it, brutha!" :D

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.

26. JayD

JayD

Looks great, can't wait for the finished product. Keeps putt'in ideas in my head!!!!!!!!

All these great A's going together makes me jealous.

BBBad2dabone.......love your car, man.

J

27. JayD

JayD

Visions of "Orange Krate"

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gary........here's a Orange look for ya :)

Attached Files:

29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i think it is 3 1/2 inches, sedan front and vicky back half. will be done by spring for racing.........:cool: