Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EMS sheetmetal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 55onefifty, Dec 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 55onefifty

55onefifty

Just putting this out there. I have put all new patch panels from EMS on my 1938 chevy coupe. Most I had to rework to get them to fit. That is not new that is just the way it is with repo panels. I have their trunk floor and it does not fit. There is a 4" gap between the panels. I can't figure it out. Talked to them and they can't figure it out. Nobody that works there has installed their panels. They have been no help and I am very disappointed in them and their products.

Attached Files:

36 Master deluxe and alanp561 like this.
  2. larry k

larry k

Most all of their panels won’t fit ! The corners aren’t sharp ,and they got that silver shit on “‘em”that you have to grind off so they will hold paint, no repo panels will fit without some hard work , but ems panels are really rough to use . I hate it when that is all there is !!!

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Unfortunately a sign of the times..... Sorry to hear this.
    I have bought panels from Shoebox Ford and have been pleased, but also heard that they get them from EMS.. ?????

4. Used 5hem on a 54 Chevy and no real issues.

dan31 and ems customer service like this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about their products.

6. indyjps

indyjps

Makes sense, sales, supply chain, and sheetmetal stamping ( die makers, machine operators, shop supervisors)
    Why would they have bodymen, everything they have is new.

I've never seen a patch panel the drops into place. I do wish you luck on the project. Post some pics.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used several EMS panels on a '36 Ford 3w and all, but one, fit perfectly with minor adjustment only.

ems customer service likes this.
  8. I've pretty much given up on patch panels. Have accumulated most of the tools to make my own, unless they are super complex.

anthony myrick likes this.
  9. belair

belair

I always had a good experience with them.

10. Bought floor pans, inner and outer rockers for my 53 ford from them and they fit like an absolute dream. Just cut and fit to what I needed. Was reccomended from my uncles who have been doing hot rods since the 60s. Hopefully their quality isn't slipping.

11. ems customer service

ems customer service

marvin,

it is unfortunate that your floor kit was shipped missing a part, we apologize for that, but we responded in a reusable time and spoke with you for a extended time to solve your issue, your photos although good quality pics, did not show the exact fit problem,

we told you that we would send you 2 panels we projected to be the issue, and told you we would continue to send you what ever you needed finish without cost to you. AND THAT THEY WOULD SHIP THE SAME DAY THAT WAS MONDAY AFTERNOON, IT IS NOW WENSDAY AFTERNOON THE REPLACEMENT PANELS HAVE NOT EVEN REACHED YOU AND YOUR COMPLAINING?

but I did notice in todays post you said 1938 coupe but on monday you said 1939 chevy coupe, it does make a difference.

the ems company will continue to provide the best possible service and stand behind its products.

thanks to all the hambers who have bought from and been satisfied

the ems guy

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  12. twenty8

twenty8

13. Budget36

Budget36

Seems someone forgot to mention EMS stepped up prior to the rant.
    I guess it’s easier to complain than see how things work out.
    The year model information is pretty interesting as well.

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Normally, I would come to the defense of EMS as I have used about a hundred of their panels with no issue, but I think this issue is already handled.

-Abone.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread should be deleted. Rant via email and phone, then calm down after the “issue” is resolved. No need to drag a good company down in public when those of us who have used their patch panels know the rant is probably bullshit.

16. chrisp

chrisp

Never had problems with ems, they're not a perfect fit but much better than what you can get for Alfa or worse Fiat.

17. alchemy

alchemy

Basically the only thing the same on a 38 vs 39 Chevy body is the name on the title. If that's the issue, no wonder the parts aren't fitting like designed.

And bashing a company because they couldn't get some replacement parts shipped to you in two days is way wrong.

18. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Used ems many times never had an issue. Their customer service is great. Maybe get ahold of them

19. twenty8

twenty8

@55onefifty , check out the link below.
    At the 4:25 time mark there is an explanation of the trunk width differences between '38 and '39 that might help.
    The whole video would be worthwhile for you to watch......:)

20. jim snow

jim snow

EMS has stepped up. End of story.jmho. Snowman ⛄️

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Never needed their products but after the comments on this thread I would buy from them.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Used many of their panels on both 57's... never any issue with EMS Products.. the only issue I had was the rotten old Ford I was hammering on.

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to need patch panels for my '54 Ranch Wagon after the first of the year. @HOTRODPRIMER used EMS panels for his Ranch Wagon and spoke highly of them. Good enough for me.

24. That is strange. I work with EMS panels all the time at work. actually tell people to "step up" to the more expensive panels. (EMS) I have never had a problem with them. We did a 53 chev convertible that had been sitting in dirt, no frame, no doors, no top. That was the biggest POS i ever had to work with. I ended up using those panels as a reference point when trying to put it back together. Just did a 64 biscayne with one of those black edm coated panels from china. Thats where i think people have a right to grumble

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  25. Sold MANY EMS parts in the years I worked at the rod shop. Never had a major issue. Thanks @ems customer service !

26. Used lots of EMS panels over the years. Never a problem, i always go to them for what i need first because they have always been so good.

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the past, I have noticed that EMS watches this forum, so it's not a good place for an unjustified rant.

It would be nice in the other vendors watched it as well; it would probably be worth more than all the market research they could buy. Over ten years ago, Johnson Controls moved the Optima operation to Mexico and had a few problems. One of their vice presidents (probably a hobbyist himself) was on the forum and did what I thought was an admirable job of explaining and subsequently fixing the problem. My last Optima's have been as good as ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.