Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Questions & Answers

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

rc57, Stogy, 72yenkonova and 19 others like this.
  2. :cool: Great idea! Now if I had a question.:(

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool, I like your approach . And the fact the guys that wanna send hate mail have to scroll all the way down:DGreat feature.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

About getting burnt out: I did car cruises/shows damn near 5-7 days a wk for a lot of years. I got burnt out. Now, I have my Shoebox Ford, I drive it a lot but only do MAYBE 2 'shows' a year. I catch a lot of flack for this. Just because we have old cars doen't mean we have to do shows and cruises all the time. I have my car for ME...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    47ragtop, rc57, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  5. The old adage, It’s the journey not the destination that will be remembered. The shows are just a blur. I do go to assorted races and enjoy them a bunch.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I know it’s a bummer that everything’s canceled and it wasn’t really a choice weather to go or not but I do find that skipping a year or two and just wrenching and driving is like you said, grounding. And really more what it’s about anyways. Seeing lots of cruising and reliability runs going on now instead of people sitting in parking lots which I’m excited to see and hope it and drive in theaters are here to stay for a while.
    30DDD2D3-7D8B-41D9-8271-B5BF5D62BA88.jpeg
    On the note of electric I’ve been following this guy online and think even though it’s clearly not the hamb way to go it is intriguing. He has cast an aluminum sbc and put electric motor inside it, water cooled the place holder for a carb is an additional cooling fan.
    17A7BFA9-8779-4281-A549-34D8139F1C2F.jpeg
    bolts right into the existing motor mounts and the best part! He’s got this thing bolted to a 4 speed! Seems like a very realistic way of converting an old car to electric should that be something you’d be into.
    C3F53BC3-685F-4795-BBEC-8C200475A49C.jpeg

slv63, Lowtech, 210superair and 10 others like this.
  7. .............especially when you take all of the back roads and stay off of the interstates.:D;)

rc57, Driver50x, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Thanks for sharing this Q&A Ryan.

It boggles my mind that people would sign up for a free service, and then gripe to the guy that makes it go, but I guess it comes with the territory.

I also get your feeling on events. I get weary of them if I attend too many, and REALLY weary of them when I am involved in hosting or planning. I do quite a bit of that as well, and it goes back to my previous comment... you just can't make people happy, even when you are giving them free stuff. I much prefer to just hang with friends and do car stuff with no event attached.

Anyway... big thumbs up to you for putting up with this stuff so we can mooch off of it!

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I can relate to question number 6.
    Used to love shows and the like.
    Now I’m more interested in the repairing, building and learning aspect of it all.
    Especially love to help my kids and friends on their projects.
    Glad to hear you’re on the same page and not moving from it all together.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. I would like to thanks you and the other fellas behind the curtain for giving us our $$s worth.
    Would love to build an electric early style ride.
    But also plan to burn the dinosaur juice as long as possible.
    I was burnt out on shows but the extension of the cut off dates helped to curve that. The increased variety and ability for younger folks to participate was great and about 10-15 years too late. (I know I may in the minority on this)

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful, thanks for that. Keep em coming!

12. Yeah i was tired of seeing all of the same cars locally, just in a different parking lot. But now that i don't have that option, it's making it worse to just stay in the garage. Guess I'm getting more work done this way ;) this is a great forum, good people, thanks for keeping up with it Ryan

Stogy and 210superair like this.
  13. pumpman

pumpman

Really like this Ryan. Wish I had a good question for ya but I don’t. Yet!

Stogy, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok - lets have some fun......

A few weeks ago someone brought up some historical stuff from their membership beginnings and then it turned into guys were trying to figure out their membership number.
    I remember comments years ago about the German etc....
    For historical sake and fun that I'm sure many guys wonder/ would like to know......

From THE beginning......
    So who exactly is #1 and #2 since you are number #3 ?

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I deleted the electric car stuff. Off topic. :)

olscrounger, Moriarity and Saxman like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really when it is in your blog. Reminds us that we don't have to be single focus boring individuals to truly enjoy our hobby or advocation. The most boring people I know are those with only one single interest that can't relate to anything beyond that interest. Some are car people, a couple fish and one was just totally self absorbed.

I think most of us hit a burn out point on the car thing at least for a while. Mine was around 2000 when I just got flat tired of mouthbreathers asking what my truck was worth at shows and the have to have the trick item of the week or your rig was "so out of date". Stuck the truck in the shed and pursued another passion that I have had since I was 11 or 12 It took finding the HAMB a few years later and figuring out that I actually didn't have to have the latest trick valve covers or the latest trick wheels or tires to have fun and the cars that I fell in love with in the late 50's early 60's were still cool.

On the show thing, there was a time when I was probably more of a dash plaque collector than hot rodder as I hit at least one show almost every weekend and sometimes two. Those were the days when my students would ask what I won at a show and that didn't mean an award as any wax or polish or car wash products ended up on a shelf in my office for them to use.
    Now days I mostly go to see and visit with friends and photograph the cars but have gotten far more selective in the events I go to. That will probably stick even after the 48 is back on the road. I don't feel the need to go just because there is an event within an hour or so from the house anymore.

Hnstray, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  17. I just want to drift it in a curve one time. It’s the only way I will do the electric slide.

flatford39 and Tman like this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Ryan, I have a question for you (rhetorical)...or maybe it's just a rant.

Why aren't more folks Alliance Members ? Where else can you get this much entertainment and useful knowledge...for a lousy $50 yearly contribution? It's also a way to say "Thanks Ryan" for providing this forum for us..it ain't no easy job!
    I'm a reasonably FNG and even I know, that to belong to an elite group like the HAMB, you need to (or should) pay your dues. C'mon you guys.

Yep, it turned into a rant:eek:

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

We could be on the cusp of the same transportation transformation when we transitioned from horses to autos. Who has horses now? They are hobbyists, like us. We will need to buy gasoline instead of hay.

[​IMG]

slv63 likes this.
  20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I found the HAMB and became a member because every time I searched for an answer on the internet that was car related, the best answers originated from this forum.

I am an Alliance Member only because I feel the value of this forum greatly outweighs the $50 I pay for that title. I have gotten many thousands of dollars of wisdom and information from the HAMB. It's a small investment with a huge return as far as I am concerned.

21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well worth the Alliance membership.

427 sleeper, Stogy, SlamIam and 4 others like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are 100% right . Always felt the HAMB itself was worth way more than any discount, just reading and learning is priceless , and that´s what I mostly do . And on here you are learning the old fashioned way, into your face, from original experienced grumpy old farts that won´t take a " don´t work" for an answer. Getting your ass ripped if you try to sneak the easy way out.
    This may sound kinda exaggerated, but I appreciate that these values count on here.

427 sleeper, Hnstray, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. I am marrying a horse lover this fall. Guess what I get to do?

NoSurf and Stogy like this.
  24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Just the way grandpa did it!:D

I really appreciate the effort many go to here to show their work, or to answer a question. I also marvel at the ability of many members... it is astounding the talent that hangs around this place. This is another reason why I pay $50. It helps to keep the lights on so they will do the above. I hope my paltry bit of cash helps Ryan just a little, so he can keep on keepin on.

Stogy, SlamIam, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shovel horse apples?:D:D

NoSurf, 427 sleeper, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least until I´m an old fart myself...

427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  27. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I've owned old boats and cars since I was a kid. Never taken one to a show. Been to a show or two for boats, never a car show. I'm not sure why.... Lol. Maybe when things open up again I'll take the shoebox out to one.

I also never heard of being an alliance member. I'm also a fng, but this is the first I've heard of it. Guess I'd better get on board. Somebody has to pay for Ryan's lapdances! I also have found the information contained here endlessly helpful. Every wrench I've turned on my flathead I come here first, so I'll pony up..

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Those things work better if they are hitched to something other than a Sasquatch.