Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford T5

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldspeed, Oct 17, 2019.

1. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Hi guys I haven't been on here since forever it seems. how things change. Anyway I am about to start on my 40 ford pickup to put a five speed in. so two major questions, can I leave the front bones unsplit? and how much of the center section will I need to cut out to fit the transmission it is a 1992 S10. The truck is finished (well) so I don't want to tear more than necessary to do the conversion. I know about the torque tube and am planning to use ladder bars to support the rear end, Thanks for any help. Jon

2. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

3. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

You can keep the torque tube.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    There is a good arctile on the Ford Barn about it, but I could not find it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I've got an old thread on here somewhere showing replacing a old Ford floor shift trans with a 5 speed and I didn't split the wishbone. It is tight but is possible... at least once anyway!
    Scan for threads by Hamtown Al and it should be there somewhere. It was a 1940 Ford coupe that had a Desoto hemi adapted to the 39 Ford trans. I replaced the 39 trans with the five speed using Cornhuskers' stuff and worked great. I changed the rear end using Chassis Engineering kit and the rear end from a later model Ford... Maverick or something little wider.
    Hope this helps.
    Al

5. Going to find that one now, as I am contemplating that swap for my 39 next year.

MJAMBO and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Mark It Zero

Mark It Zero

My 41 truck has a sbc and muncie, I reckon even against a flathead and adaptor (you didn't say what engine you're using) you'd get a T5 in the same way and about the same place. I didn't cut the frame or split the bones to do it. Pictures here might give you some ideas.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QDnGWXaiV5CFcCvX7

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Thank you for all the pictures. I am running a flathead with a 39 gear box and quickchange now. It is a finished painted truck that shows very well. I just received Pete and Jakes ladder bars that look like yours, I plan to run an open drive shaft with a T5 tranny. It looks like you removed the center section of the frame, I am not sure I will do that since I want to keep the front rods unsplit. I guess I will find out once I remove the gearbox and start measuring. Thank you again for all the info. By the way nice truck and your work looks great. Jon

Mark It Zero likes this.
  8. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I've got a T5 in my 40 sedan, the chap that fitted it had to remove the top of the chassis brace, and modify the bottom of the brace for the mount. There are pics in my build thread, if you want more info, just ask, ad i'll do waht i can to help

9. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Just looked at my build thread, looks like Pbucket's dumped all over it, so here's a few pics, hope they help

Attached Files:

teach'm likes this.
  10. Is that a mustang t5? The shifter is right where my seat is in my 39.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the pictures, you did a great job. Unfortunately I have to do this with a finished cab and bead in place. Seeing what you did will make it easier