Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What's the numbers closest to the distributor hole? That's the casting date.

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

'63,'64, and '65 that intake was used.

3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Wow-hard to look at its so cool...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

That is a cool look Stogy

Stogy likes this.
  5. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

This looks awesome-would this be considered period correct for a 60s car?

jimgoetz and Stogy like this.
  6. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The stainless is just easier to work with. One thing that I can not tell in your picture, is if the edges have a step and it looks as if the edges near the gauges are rolled? The piece being turned has to be perfectly flat. The insert you have may have been turned, and then stamped to create the stepped edges. Any close ups of the edges and near the gauge bezels? Hard to look upside down, but the intake date looks like '65 , if the last digit is a 5

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

If your asking about my firewall I would think so. There have been engine turned parts on cars and airplanes forever. As far as your dash panel Listen to big deuce. Sound's like he really knows what he's talking about.

RiffRaffRoadster, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably Polished too @Tuck is doing that to his 60s inspired Hotrod...it gives the reflected extended Dressed Engine look...

10. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Yep. And he really got my attention when he offered to to do the turning on my panel for FREE!

brEad and jimgoetz like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meeting Fellow Hambers is cool and there a lot to be said for a Handshake and Comradery...Priceless

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Tuck's post on an in work Polished Alumium Firewall which I believe he has changed to a Polished Stainless insert Early 60's inspired and I would hazard to say polished firewalls were done much earlier as well...Bling was always Big in Cars...Shiny Sells...Looks Good...AND Goes Faster...:D

This is an Truly New Build Era Traditional Hotrod...
    Do yourself a favour and check this Fellas Work out

Its interesting as your Roadster and Tucks are side by side in era but are two styles of build...

All good of course...

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tucks-29-roadster-build.827448/page-19#post-12665381

Credit to Photographer, Owner @Tuck

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Tork - the shop that installed the posi-track unit in the rear end did the necessary axle work to make it fit. Thanks for the attention to detail...could have learned the hard way.

Torkwrench, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Ok Duece-looks like stainless steel but pretty beat up. Spent 30 minutes polishing with Simichrome but design really didn’t come out. I hate to ask you to do a panel for me when I can just buy one from FPM Metals. What do you think?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...built like a brick shithouse...:D...Was that the ignition switch location where everyone washed their finger...:p...It looks like pretty thick plate and your still working it right...doesn't look to bad to me...

Are there raised ridges or is it flat and why could you not re pattern the same plate IF it doesn't pass after rework?

Hey I have one of those yellow extension cord things exactly the same...I like it...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    dana barlow and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  16. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy-panel is flat and pretty thin actually. It was mated up to a thicker metal panel with the welded studs. Yes-ignition button was on the panel and is pretty beat up. Panel is flat-no raised edges.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the photo angles it look like theres nothing then you flip it over and the turning is there...are you using laquer thinner on it that might take some of the grime off then theres soap and water on top of the cream or whatever that stuff is. Is it abrading/scratching the surface of the plate...To me that is a real gem of the equation. I got a silver plate spoon thing for the missus the other day and it looked like shit and I rubbed this cloth she uses on it and wow what a difference...I'll check if it works on stainless...Your sure its stainless?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  19. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget a dish soap and water wash as sometimes simple basics take stuff off chemicals and thinners can't and Happy Easter back at you...

Again I feel what your achieving does look quite good and thinking about it again turned metal isn't actually that shiny the gage bezels supply that.

dana barlow and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That's cleaning up pretty nice, if you can get the rest of it that clean I would just use it. It's an original piece, I would use the original if the engine turning cleaned up even if there were some battle wounds. If you start replacing everything with new parts, you will end up with a 1-800 car. If the engine turning is faded and hard to see, I can polish the stainless and engine turn the existing piece in very short time... its fun and would be an honor to contribute to the project!

22. alchemy

alchemy

I'm with big deuce. Clean that panel as best you can, then shine it a little with the polish. I wouldn't re-machine it or replace it as you will soon be building a whole new car. That panel will stare you in the face every time you drive it, and those nicks, mars, and scuffs will remind you of when your dad drove the car.

23. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your doing a great job...there is a fair amount of Hotrod love in those old pieces...I mean even the old ignition lock and key if working fine clean up all right are worth reviving.

I really think since you started tackling things you are probably surprising yourself at how well many things actually are once they've had some tlc.

Interesting to witness from this end...

RiffRaffRoadster and pprather like this.
  25. Still watching and enjoying!

26. How is work on the chassis coming along?

Phil

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  27. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

It is progressing. I’ve been ordering a bunch of parts from Speedway to address some suspension issues (heim joints, brackets, etc.). Hope to have some photos soon.

Stogy, Dick Stevens and pprather like this.
  28. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

This is about as good as it’s going to get...maybe a little too much “character”.

[​IMG][​IMG]

catdad49, brad2v, jimgoetz and 3 others like this.
  29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The back side doesn't really matter, and that looks like good character to me! :cool::cool::cool:

brEad, AmishMike, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  30. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That close up is the front side, not the back. I think all the distress tells a story...

brad2v, slv63, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.