Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just another Black Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rsss396, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Beautiful car, love it.

rsss396 likes this.
  2. As nice as they come!:cool:

rsss396 likes this.
  3. rolltideglin

rolltideglin

NICE Coupe,,I have a Hemi in my 30 model A......

rsss396 likes this.
  4. SlamIam

SlamIam

Incredibly original ideas in this car, very nice indeed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rsss396 likes this.
  5. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

What is the purpose of the adjustable bars on top of the rear radius rods?

6. 117harv

117harv

So much detail, so much to look at...outstanding!

rsss396 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Pffftt !! Nothing to add .... just another black Model A admirer, here. ;) Nobody special. :)

brEad and rsss396 like this.
  8. rsss396

rsss396

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  9. rsss396

rsss396

5B7D1796-A322-4CDA-8B86-723581EEE11E.jpeg 0601B7F2-383A-4EB6-9D2E-4696F91F3599.jpeg D138E8CC-C068-4D4B-B0AA-5D82097517E8.jpeg My 36 rear radius rods were beafed up with a 1/4” pieces down the outside of the arm, it’s blended and hard to see since they are to the outer sides of the car.
    Both radius rods also have a separate 1” tube that go from front of the radius rod to the axle mount for added strength. These rods did make running the exhaust a little more challenging but not real bad.
    Both radius rods also come together at a large spherical rod end (1-1/4”) so The rods should never experence binding only up and down force.

tb33anda3rd, mgtstumpy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  10. Wizzy

Wizzy

Very Cool!

rsss396 likes this.
  11. The details on this A are amazing. This car makes up for all the poorly conceived and executed rusty crap that sometimes appears on the HAMB. This is how hot rods should be.

dan31, scotty t and rsss396 like this.
  12. DRD57

DRD57

VERY well done. I'm impressed.

rsss396 likes this.
  13. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I planned to use 36 rods on a future project. At what HP do they need to be beefed up? I'm guessing your over 300 with your set up.

14. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

What a beaut!

rsss396 likes this.
  15. rsss396

rsss396

not sure about HP on mine but 300 is probably pretty close to where it’s at, it’s just a 331 w/10-1 and a mild cam, I built it to drive

You have to watch the radius rods for corrosion, Plus ford had torque tubes that took allot of the stress off the arms. Make them strong and forget about them was my theory

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at your great pics, I said "WOW" a lot of times...lol.
    Wonderful vision and attention to detail. Man...you even smoothed the engine block and stuff...a lot of work...I know.
    I've owned a couple of early '50s Buicks and love the way the dashes curve into the doors. I've thought I'd use them someday. I saved a dash and door pieces just in case. Really nice to see that you actually did it. A lot of work there too...in addition to the gauges. Looks great!
    Everything about your coupe and your build made me smile. All the stuff the other guys said and more. The custom headlights, hemi, rear bumper...dang.
    One observation...respectfully. I see a big angle difference between the radius rod and drag link. No bumpsteer? I wonder if it could be improved?
    Beautiful hot rod. I'm envious...lol. Have fun.

Stogy, SquintBoy and rsss396 like this.
  17. WOW! Not bad for a motor inspector! That car sure stands out in the sea of A coupes, an amazing amount of detail. Awesome craftsmanship and design. Which mill owns you? I'm a millwright at US steel Gary works.

Stogy and rsss396 like this.
  18. rsss396

rsss396

No bump steer, there is a thread where a respected person here explains why cowl steering typically causes bump steer. If you read it then you can see that while my setup is not optimal it can work with just a small amount of bump steer. If the car had twice the travel that it does than it would probably start showing signs of it but honestly it never pulls the steering wheel over a bump

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cowl-steering-just-stop.1101046/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    brEad likes this.
  19. rsss396

rsss396

Haha thankS! I work at ArcelorMittal Burns Harbor. Blast Furnace

Crown point has their cruise night tonight if you can make it I will be there
    It’s by the sports dome instead of down town because construction

Stogy likes this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No noticeable bump steer. That's good. I did read the bump steer thread and understand what you're saying about limited suspension travel being beneficial in this regard.
    Again...like your coupe a LOT!
    Cheers.

rsss396 likes this.
  21. Doubt I'll make it, but if I do I'll be the short guy with a beer belly and a goatee (how original) in a 57 vette.

22. rsss396

rsss396

Lol ok!

23. There is nothing else I can say about this car that has not all ready been said 10 times over, so what THEY said plus a huge WOW!

rsss396 likes this.
  24. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Heard about this car from the local grapevine, heard a LOT about the car from Dave Zambon, the owner/builder of the KILLER F-100 that was along side of the coupe at KAZOO. Both vehicles were out for their big show that weekend. To say that the A coupe is well detailed (BESIDES being A FLAT OUT JEWEL) is like saying REMBRANDT was a pretty good painter ---Ya Think? On page 3 of this post is a picture of the air cleaners, take another look and observe the the wire hose clamps on the rubber hoses between the carbs. Just a small example of the well thought out and perfectly executed details on this car. If you see the car in person, take a look at ANY area of the car and study it for a couple of minutes. You'll come away with---How did he come up with that idea?---How did he DO that?---Thats Neat!!! and a whole BUNCH of OH WOW!!! Very impressive car---Very impressive. Bill Rinaldi

brEad and rsss396 like this.
  25. rsss396

rsss396

Wow thanks Bill! I really appreciate yours and everyone else’s compliments
    It makes up for all those nights of frustrations and failures all worth it.
    I love Dave’s truck! I am hoping to one day do a 40’s Chevy and his is such a inspiration to do it.

26. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

What everybody else said and a bunch more. Out standing workmanship.

rsss396 likes this.
  27. WanatahHustler

WanatahHustler

very cool. Im pretty sure I work with your buddy, Kevin. Car is beautiful.

rsss396 likes this.
  28. rsss396

rsss396

Kevin with the camaro’s?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. WanatahHustler

WanatahHustler

rsss396 likes this.
  30. WanatahHustler likes this.