Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. alchemy

alchemy

The 50 Plymouth of women.

So, back to RiffRaff: Any other contacts to potential builders? Have you contacted Brian Bass? I know he loves to fabricate, but maybe he's up to "restore" a true time capsule.

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Those aren't mutually exclusive traits! There are women who are both beautiful, sexy and cook and clean! :D

3. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I have not contacted any other builders yet. I’m going to give Rexrods until the end of the month to get back to me before I look elsewhere. I understand they are busy getting their entries ready for the CA Roadster show later this month.
    I’m going to get my car (or should I say pieces of my car) tomorrow and bring it back to my house. Once back home, I’ll lay everything out on the driveway and take more photos of each piece for all you “parts identifiers”.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad, loudbang, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  4. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I know-I have one!

loudbang, Stogy and Dick Stevens like this.
  5. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

That's perfect, he needs room and you're happy to have her back... so there will be no hard feelings or expectation that he has your car lined up for work.

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  6. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Yep. Rookie mistake. Gave the car to the builder, then outlined a plan to them, then started my research. Exactly the OPPOSITE of what I should have done. They did nothing wrong, just started prepping it for transformation into a 1-800-hot rod, according to my initial instructions.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pssst...Hotrods back home...on Terra RiffRaff...;)

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  8. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

The Riff Raff Roadster is back on home soil, all pieces accounted for, waiting to see if our preferred builders (Rexrods) are interested in taking on the project and can fit us in after the Roadster show in CA. P.S. wheels and tires shown are temp roll-arounds only. Also, its on the original trailer that came with the car back in 1970 Amarillo. I’m considering having that fixed up as well.

Attached Files:

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an observation on the firewall it seems to have been modded smoothed and perhaps angled in for the smallblock or even something prior to that. This is a Stock Roadster below...This is of course just an observation and not to be negative. Its talking along with you observing what has been done along the way since it popped out of Henry's shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:...One of @Flop's projects...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1931-ford-roadster-assembly-brookville.1004637/

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  10. flatford39

flatford39

Stogy...please be a little clearer. It sure looks like a roadster cowl to me. I have a 31 myself and I don't see what you see.

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks smoothed and tapers down towards the bottom of the cowl...if Riff takes a closer pic we will be better able to see it...I'm going to look back in the thread I think he had some other pics...Maybe its the primer and my eyes...:confused:

I snooped back and couldn't really see it in the other pics clearly...and I also know there was a lot of pretty quick and dirty mods going on back in the day...just look at Kookies cowl behind the stainless. Its just something I noticed much like the taillights...she has her clothes off now for all to see...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  12. flatford39

flatford39

The firewall has certainly been modified in an interesting way but I am talking about your reference that you think it is a coupe and not a roadster. The cowl looks just like my 31 roadsters except for the modified firewall.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I wasn't implying in any way his roadster is a coupe I will see if I can find a roadster pic so thing are not confused... That pic just showed that cowl area nicely. Found One...;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    flatford39 and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy-you’re right. The main part of the firewall looks like it was cut out and replaced with a new piece of sheet metal. I’ll see if I can find a better pic...

Stogy likes this.
  15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

IMG_2403.JPG

flatford39 and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For all we know it had a Hemi in it once...Thats an interesting mod...

To all the Model A Pros Riffs Roadster has bumps for the Cowl Band is that a Deluxe Model indicator?

17. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Is this taper unusual?

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were all kinds of mods done to Hotrods even wood was put in place of steel...it is just another clue to its past...It was done for a reason...these cars had 4 cylinder engines stock but technically the firewall was good for a flathead ford engine.

Who knows they may have felt it required when they switched to the 32 frame.

By the way its looks fairly well done...;)...and the patch for the gas cap looks pretty clean too.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riff have you visited Rexrods? Might be cool to go for a tour of the shop...I mean if they have a spare moment.

20. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I haven’t. I’m trying to leave them alone out of respect that they’re prepping for the CA show. After that I’m going to be pestering them hard.

21. flatford39

flatford39

No they all had cowl bands in 30 31.

22. not a model A pro but I thought I heard once that the factory deluxe used three screws to hold the upper door hinge on, but only two on a standard.

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  23. redo32

redo32

That looks like 3/16" plate for the firewall. Probably won't need reinforcement for the clutch pedal.

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  24. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Redo-it’s currently an automatic transmission, but good to know if I go 3-pedal.

Stogy likes this.
  25. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy-I’m thinking that tapered firewall mod has meaning, and the only reason I can think of was that it had a larger motor at some point?

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does, every change was due to a certain dilemma. As Redo said your Hotrod probably had pedals hanging off the firewall and the heavier metal was added partly for that reason. It may at one point had a large area of the original firewall cut out to allow a engine setback for a race application...then to return to street they put what is there now in. I believe when adding a small block you do have to mod the original firewall for the distributor and tranny.

Many different approaches are done to achieve this as every one of us has a thinking mind and short of Hotrod mags and people for Reference there is no set rules. I would say some might even do more than is necessary as again there is no blueprints to follow.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  27. Glad you have it home and that all is accounted for. That is a great little trailer too!

28. low down A

low down A

that firewall hack job was probably done when it was on the A frame there is no reason to cut the firewall of an A when it's on a 32 frame you gain a couple extra inch's in length. this car obviously has gone thru several reincarnation's. with the best part that original paint being gone build it how you want

29. X-cpe

X-cpe

I thought one of the reasons to build an A on a 32 frame was not to have to mod the firewall because the 32 wheelbase is 3" longer than an A. I built my own frame with an A wheelbase and had to recess the firewall 3" to clear the whole back of the engine (SBC), not just the distributor. (Although I guess some some people do use other engines. LOL)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honestly this thing as has been alluded went through a walk in hotrod history. That change could have been like many in a prior period under a previous frame or it could have been just done without any forethought or knowledge that it wasn't even needed. This Hotrod did carry itself well it seems and was far from a hack job in my opinion. It even sat pretty nicely on that 32 frame along the filler strip area to boot.